Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM

799 posts, read 2,439,419 times

Advertisements

Im thinking of having counters and a new backsplash put in the house. I was actually just going to do a backsplash, but the guy asked me to at least let him quote the counters. I measured exactly 72 sq ft, but because of a weird sink window placement, I would use 82 sq ft, or have two joints on either side of my sink, which would be unsightly.

i was quoted $3000, all in. Tear out, new decking, tax, everything. Thats just counters...+700 for the backsplash

This same guy has done my wood floors in two houses, so I trust him, I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on current pricing, as it was four years ago the last time I did granite.

And what do you guys think is the way to go on backsplashes? He suggested the typical tumbled stone with granite inserts. I know glass is big now, but I have country oak type cabinets, and glass is just too modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 AM

739 posts, read 2,133,713 times
I had granite done in my house and was no where near that price. Pm me and I'll give you my guys #.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM

201 posts, read 913,994 times
If you want a sanity check, the price your guy is asking seems reasonable but not a bargain. We had a company do an estimate at our old house, which had somewhere between 50-75 square feet, and the quote was around $3K-$4K, including replacing the back splash. I thought most places quote like $40-$50 per square foot installed, depending on the granite, as a further sanity check. Seems like your guy is in the ball park.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM

101 posts, read 306,945 times
The cost also depends on the finish on the edge - bullnose, round, etc. Sometimes the finish of the edge can cost as much as the granite itself. We used to own a condo with 1.25" (I think) counters and the edge was finished the simplest way with just a bevel to take the sharpness of the edge. It worked great for us, depends on your choice. I would rather spend money and get the thicker granite than spend more on finishing the edge.

BTW, could you PM your guy's contact info? I may be in the market for redoing our wood floors but would rather go with someone tried and tested.

Thanks and good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
The cost also depends on the finish on the edge - bullnose, round, etc. Sometimes the finish of the edge can cost as much as the granite itself. We used to own a condo with 1.25" (I think) counters and the edge was finished the simplest way with just a bevel to take the sharpness of the edge. It worked great for us, depends on your choice. I would rather spend money and get the thicker granite than spend more on finishing the edge.

BTW, could you PM your guy's contact info? I may be in the market for redoing our wood floors but would rather go with someone tried and tested.

Thanks and good luck!
OP. The quote I pm you included bullnose.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM

169 posts, read 798,521 times
I just paid $2000 (he initially quoted me much higher, but I stood firm on the price I was willing to pay) for a similar amount of granite counter tops and travertine backsplash (and undermount sink). The price included tear-out of the old and complete install.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:39 AM

92 posts, read 108,925 times
mirjaja and pdouglas would you mind sharing the info on your installers? If not here, a pm would be great!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomojo View Post
mirjaja and pdouglas would you mind sharing the info on your installers? If not here, a pm would be great!
I pm you his name (Pablo) and contact info before.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM

799 posts, read 2,439,419 times
I emailed my info to pdouglas' contact Thursday, waiting on a quote back, Ill report if it is better than others.

Mirjaja, could you provide any more info? That sounds impossible.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM

169 posts, read 798,521 times
I used Bella... on Katy Frwy, I wouldn't really recommend them though. What they did was fine since we plan on selling the house (but if I was staying here longterm - I don't think it would hold up), but they never connected the sink ("ran out of time"), broke a pipe, and the grout between the tile and backsplash is cracking all the way around. They also took a dirty cloth used to wipe up grout haze and wiped the front of our new black appliances- destroying the finish by scratching them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston