U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Reputation: 3306

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Al Green and others, will you please stop! Get back on topic. I'm so tired of threads being closed down because people like you are always talking ignorant. I'm trying to learn something just like a lot of people else. PLEASE STOP WITH THE FOOLISHNESS!
I couldn't agree more.

From what I can tell the black population is growing in Houston, the census and all reports agree with that however it's hard to quantify the affects it will have on the city because that depends on how productive those additional people will be. In cities with large black populations you find that some areas prosper while some fail and it's 100% due to whether the people who live there take an active roll in the area's security and prosperity. The same can be said about areas of Houston, there are areas in Houston with large black populations that continue to prosper while others fail and it has nothing to do with skin color but everything to do with culture.

 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,344,538 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I spent 2 months in New Orleans after Katrina helping those "po' colored folk" you speak about since I grew up there and wanted to help my people. I spent thousands of my own dollars helping people with immediate and long term needs, I moved a family of "po' colored folk" into a rental home that I own in the Houston area and let them live there rent free for 12 months. I still make regular trips home to the New Orleans area to help with different projects helping the local population.

I don't have all the answers but I do have a lot more first hand experience with the situation than you do apparently. If you would take a step back for a minute from your racism podium and listen to what I'm saying you might learn something but of course you won't because it's too easy to yell "racist" and run away with your fingers in your ears.
you may have more experience with new orleans specifically, but that is all

and that's not what i'm doing. i've never done that. but you're the one who agreed with the statement that blacks destroyed communities. you claim to have helped blacks into better situations, so obviously you know that statement isn't true. why would you agree with it?

i'm not the type to just make excuses for blacks and blame the white man for everything, but making sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people just doesn't fly with me
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You managed to skip over all that bull**** and racism in Backspace post, but had the nerve to call Algreen ignorant???
When did posting facts become racist? After hurricane Katrina Houston had a large rise in crime and it was due to the people who were relocated here after the storm. We had NO street gangs fighting it out in South Houston, some of it still goes on today but most of them killed each other a long time ago.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
When did posting facts become racist? After hurricane Katrina Houston had a large rise in crime and it was due to the people who were relocated here after the storm. We had NO street gangs fighting it out in South Houston, some of it still goes on today but most of them killed each other a long time ago.
All white people are trailer trash. ---->That's the equivalent of your statement towards blacks destroying communities.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you may have more experience with new orleans specifically, but that is all

and that's not what i'm doing. i've never done that. but you're the one who agreed with the statement that blacks destroyed communities. you claim to have helped blacks into better situations, so obviously you know that statement isn't true. why would you agree with it?

i'm not the type to just make excuses for blacks and blame the white man for everything, but making sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people just doesn't fly with me
I really couldn't care less what flies with you or not, I made a statement about what took place in Houston because it's a fact and if that upsets you you'll have to learn to deal with facts. I helped many people who were in dire straights and they were of all skin colors, I still do it today.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,344,538 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I couldn't agree more.

From what I can tell the black population is growing in Houston, the census and all reports agree with that however it's hard to quantify the affects it will have on the city because that depends on how productive those additional people will be. In cities with large black populations you find that some areas prosper while some fail and it's 100% due to whether the people who live there take an active roll in the area's security and prosperity. The same can be said about areas of Houston, there are areas in Houston with large black populations that continue to prosper while others fail and it has nothing to do with skin color but everything to do with culture.
it has everything to do with resources. kids that grow up in the fifth ward aren't going to have the same opportunities and positive influences that kids who grew up in sugar land do.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: houston
438 posts, read 1,106,367 times
Reputation: 252
I think Dallas and Houston are neck and neck(Houston slight edege) as far as attracting young black professionals. Atlanta and DC are still tops, but Dallas and Houston have certainly come up in the last decade. Jobs, cost of living, entertainment options, church options, singles scene all contribute to the reason folks find Houston attractive.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
All white people are trailer trash. ---->That's the equivalent of your statement towards blacks destroying communities.
Not true at all, I made a statement about Blacks and what took place after hurricane Katrina in Houston. Learn to read and stop being so quick to call people racists, it makes you look very ignorant. Read the title of this thread, nothing else needs to be said.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
Reputation: 3350
Isn't it just wonderful how the metro just had its black population to surpass the 1 million mark, but it continues to keep its diversity.
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Reality
9,958 posts, read 7,313,997 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'm not the type to just make excuses for blacks and blame the white man for everything, but making sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people just doesn't fly with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it has everything to do with resources. kids that grow up in the fifth ward aren't going to have the same opportunities and positive influences that kids who grew up in sugar land do.
I guess that whole thing about not making excuses was BS?
There's no excuse for car jackings or murder, skin color isn't a free pass to commit a crime no matter how or where you grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top