Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

As much as I hate this title (Black Mecca) for any city since blacks can thrive any and everywhere, but do you think Houston is becoming more of a hotspot than ever before for blacks? I keep seeing this on websites after my concerns and keep hearing it from other people. I'm not trying to cause any trouble, disputes, or any hatred or bashing towards another racial group, but I'm just curious to see what you guys have to say. As we all know, Houston is a DIVERSITY MECCA; however, are blacks beginning to pay CLOSER attention to Houston as far as opportunities and other factors?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
I too hate that term,

BUT, I think that Houston is probably the second most popular metro for young black professionals to move after graduating from college with only DC/NOVA/Southern MD and Atlanta rivaling it. This is mainly due to job opportunities, culture, diversity, and cost of living, along with the plethora of other young black single folks. I graduated from an HBCU a couple of years ago and I can think of six or seven non-Houstonians from my school that have moved to Houston either for grad school or for job opportunities.

Generally speaking, Houston's strong economy will probably attract an outsize amount of folks looking for work of all stripes, and blacks are no exception to that. Add into that the other factors that make Houston an appealing city for blacks and those who are trying to establish themselves in the labor market and I can definitely see Houston's young black demographic growing faster than the city as a whole in the coming years. It's already happening and even many of my former classmates who don't live in Houston have it on their radar as a possible future move.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default It has always been a secret...

One thing I've noticed is that Houston's always had a large black community/population that was not mentioned in the news, or written about often. Having been to most other large cities in the US, I came to the conclusion that, even though crime exists, Houston does not have the savagery associated with the other big cities with large black communities, and so maybe that is the reason the rest of the nation has not paid attention.

Houston's black community is more educated, at least in my eyes, than most other large black communities. Gangs do exist, but not to the extent, or degree as in other cities. The black community has always been friendly and lives in peace with others, that is something I don't see in other large black communities. You can always find an exception to the rule, but for the most part, blacks live and work everywhere in Houston and are not bothered by anyone. Interracial marriages with blacks are also abundant and accepted in Houston as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Frankly, I hope that the city attracts more black people. I realize it isn't PC to say this, but the type of black person that would travel across the country for opportunities isn't the kind of black person you have to worry about destroying your cities, and I do believe that Houston has opportunities for everyone.

I think diversity is a great thing and is something I'd like to expose my children to, but not if it requires them to befriend Katrina Refugees and hang out a Greenspoint Mall!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:53 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I too hate that term,

BUT, I think that Houston is probably the second most popular metro for young black professionals to move after graduating from college with only DC/NOVA/Southern MD and Atlanta rivaling it. This is mainly due to job opportunities, culture, diversity, and cost of living, along with the plethora of other young black single folks. I graduated from an HBCU a couple of years ago and I can think of six or seven non-Houstonians from my school that have moved to Houston either for grad school or for job opportunities.

Generally speaking, Houston's strong economy will probably attract an outsize amount of folks looking for work of all stripes, and blacks are no exception to that. Add into that the other factors that make Houston an appealing city for blacks and those who are trying to establish themselves in the labor market and I can definitely see Houston's young black demographic growing faster than the city as a whole in the coming years. It's already happening and even many of my former classmates who don't live in Houston have it on their radar as a possible future move.
Any sources?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
One thing I've noticed is that Houston's always had a large black community/population that was not mentioned in the news, or written about often. Having been to most other large cities in the US, I came to the conclusion that, even though crime exists, Houston does not have the savagery associated with the other big cities with large black communities, and so maybe that is the reason the rest of the nation has not paid attention.

Houston's black community is more educated, at least in my eyes, than most other large black communities. Gangs do exist, but not to the extent, or degree as in other cities. The black community has always been friendly and lives in peace with others, that is something I don't see in other large black communities. You can always find an exception to the rule, but for the most part, blacks live and work everywhere in Houston and are not bothered by anyone. Interracial marriages with blacks are also abundant and accepted in Houston as well.
"savagery"?

and you seem to be talking about the fact that houston in general is more integrated than other cities with large black populations. that much is true, but i assure you that houston blacks really aren't any more educated as a whole than other metros. i'm pretty sure both atlanta and the dmv have much larger black middle classes than greater houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Frankly, I hope that the city attracts more black people. I realize it isn't PC to say this, but the type of black person that would travel across the country for opportunities isn't the kind of black person you have to worry about destroying your cities, and I do believe that Houston has opportunities for everyone.
that made absolutely no sense

and blacks don't destroy cities, neglected communities and schools do

Old 12-16-2010, 08:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Actually Dallas is attracting more blacks than Houston from a list I seen.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Source?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and blacks don't destroy cities, neglected communities and schools do
Anyone who lived in the Houston area during Hurricane Katrina would rightfully disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston