U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Westbury
3,283 posts, read 4,908,522 times
Reputation: 2922

Advertisements

There is only one true answer : AWESOME

are you kidding me? get an engineering degree in any state in the US and eventually you will work in or out of Houston, TX. This is if you are an ME, CE, PE etc. You don't necessarily need an MS for a good high paying job. You may want to see the pay you can get with a BS and determine if you want to bother with getting a higher degree (am I really saying this?). I'd never say that for ANY other field. but when a recent grade with a BS in ME can get a 70k a year job without an internship (true story) why really spend the money for 2-3 years for a masters? Unless you want to do development or teach. If you just want to move up the ladder work on your personality and perhaps an MBA (ugh)

every major oil company has an office here and just about every non major one. since unfortunately the fields are tied so much to the oil industry it's good for engineers. I don't actually know much about CE other than people who work for the state or city. I actually know several MEs who got CE jobs (I don't know exactly how) all here in Houston.

* Why are you getting your FE? Required for the position/company you are interested in? Just asking. It cant technically hurt you getting your FE. I know many engineers still and only 1 has their FE after working in the industry for years and years and others who started just a few years back. It does not seem to be a requirement or so sought after anymore. Of course if you are CE you may not have a choice. I am not so familiar with PE and FE standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Before I graduate college, our professors recommend us to take the FE. It's required. I thank you for the information. As a black male, I feel like I need to further my education beyond college, so I can be more aware of my field and so I can earn a bigger salary as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Westbury
3,283 posts, read 4,908,522 times
Reputation: 2922
Understand where you are coming from! Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Thanks for the POSTIVENESS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
There is only one true answer : AWESOME

are you kidding me? get an engineering degree in any state in the US and eventually you will work in or out of Houston, TX. This is if you are an ME, CE, PE etc. You don't necessarily need an MS for a good high paying job. You may want to see the pay you can get with a BS and determine if you want to bother with getting a higher degree (am I really saying this?). I'd never say that for ANY other field. but when a recent grade with a BS in ME can get a 70k a year job without an internship (true story) why really spend the money for 2-3 years for a masters? Unless you want to do development or teach. If you just want to move up the ladder work on your personality and perhaps an MBA (ugh)

every major oil company has an office here and just about every non major one. since unfortunately the fields are tied so much to the oil industry it's good for engineers. I don't actually know much about CE other than people who work for the state or city. I actually know several MEs who got CE jobs (I don't know exactly how) all here in Houston.

* Why are you getting your FE? Required for the position/company you are interested in? Just asking. It cant technically hurt you getting your FE. I know many engineers still and only 1 has their FE after working in the industry for years and years and others who started just a few years back. It does not seem to be a requirement or so sought after anymore. Of course if you are CE you may not have a choice. I am not so familiar with PE and FE standards.
Are you an engineer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
I'm not in high school. If you want to add something to the thread, could you please at valuable information instead making your city look bad; I don't want to judge Houstonians by looking at the threads you post. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 PM
 
9,782 posts, read 7,650,863 times
Reputation: 6165
There was a time in Houston when people in the oil industry could not get jobs cutting grass. Many had to find other careers. Nobody knows what the world is going to look like 20 years from now. DH ended his work life as a futurist for a fortune 100 company. He spent years figuring out what that business was going to be like in 20 and 30 years down the road. Figuring out what you like is the hard part. You can always come up with a way to make a living. If you are smart and lucky you can make a living doing what you love.
When our 2nd. kid went off to college, she was asked by her dad what she was going to major in. Her reply, anthropology. He said, what kind of job will you get with that degree. She relied, excuse me, I thought I was going to college to get an education, not a work permit. She is doing what she loves, and getting paid for it. So can you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Thanks so much! I loving the major so far. I think I'm going to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM
 
295 posts, read 1,024,969 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Thanks so much! I loving the major so far. I think I'm going to enjoy it.
my advice based on personal experience if you are still in high school or still a freshman in college, dont take civil engineering haha.

there is no money in bridge or building if you're just a regular civil engineer in a private engineering firm. even in oil/gas industry piping engineers/designers salary's better than civil engineers. no offense but most of them dont even have college degree.

chemical/process engineers are more in demand and gets way higher pay on the average than civil engineers specially in oil and gas industry in houston.

maybe civil engineers working on the govt (DOT) is better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
 
295 posts, read 1,024,969 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There was a time in Houston when people in the oil industry could not get jobs cutting grass. Many had to find other careers. Nobody knows what the world is going to look like 20 years from now. DH ended his work life as a futurist for a fortune 100 company. He spent years figuring out what that business was going to be like in 20 and 30 years down the road. Figuring out what you like is the hard part. You can always come up with a way to make a living. If you are smart and lucky you can make a living doing what you love.
When our 2nd. kid went off to college, she was asked by her dad what she was going to major in. Her reply, anthropology. He said, what kind of job will you get with that degree. She relied, excuse me, I thought I was going to college to get an education, not a work permit. She is doing what she loves, and getting paid for it. So can you.
am sorry but i dont think this is a good advice. if you are going to have a huge debt after college, better make sure you get a degree that will get you a job to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top