Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 25,706 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My family and I will be moving to Clear Lake area in August. I got a job at UHCL. We are currently renting in Kansas and even though our apartment is very cheap, it is safe, reasonably clean, and quiet. I have been trying to find an apartment in Clear Lake area and sure enough, I did find quite a few, many of them affordable. However, after reading reviews at apartmentratings.com and apartmentreview.com I was bewildered to say the least. So many apartments have very negative reviews with crime, pests, noise, and other things plaguing them. My question is: are those reviews truthful? How many of them are apartment complexes trashing competition? If you have rented in Clear Lake area, I will appreciate your input on what apartments are good. I have a family (wife and 2 kids). Another option we are looking at is Friendswood. However, I also read horrendous reviews of apartments there. I will appreciate any information.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
some are honest and some aren't. Post the names of some of the complexes and those of us familiar with the Clear Lake Area can at least advise you on the area the complex is in. Stay away from any on El Dorado. Area is declining. Is there a particular price range you want to look in?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM

We are looking for something up to $1000-1200/month.
What can you say about the following apartments: the Cove at 2000 Bay Area Blvd. The Retreat of Clear Lake at 2305 Bay Area Blvd. The Regatta at 1315 NASA Pkwy. Wolf Creek at 16100 Space Center Blvd. Newport at Clear Lake at 15900 Space Center Blvd. Presidio @ Clear Lake at 16201 El Camino Real.
Also, we are interested in condos. Do you know anything about the condos along Bay Area Blvd.? For example, 1516, 1500, 1900?
Thank you!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:17 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,870,300 times
Not bad but not great. The ones you named are still okay but they seem to be changing and seem to be on the verge of maybe starting to decline. I would avoid apts on El Camino Real. My son looked at the condos on Bay Area about 5 years ago but went elsewhere due to his job. You can spend more and get a much nicer apt. The Park at Armand Bayou, Village on the Lake, Villas at Edgewater are all pricier but nicer with a nicer area. Check into the Voyager at Space Center - new apartments in one of those multi-use centers - they look really nice. They are on Nasa Parkway across the St. from NASA. There are some new ones that look kind of plain outside but are supposed to be luxury inside called Clearpoint Crossing Apts on Space Center. There are even some in what is considered Pasadena that are new and very nice on Red Bluff very close to Bay Area Blvd. and UHCL but near industry and that turns off some - those are called Preserve at Baywood. You might try finding a condo or townhome for rent at Fairwind Townhomes or Seafarer Townhomes. You might even try Egret Bay townhomes and see if you can find some for rent.

Just for grins http://www.voyageratspacecenter.com/...rTX/index.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3zhCoblXi8

Last edited by texas7; 12-16-2010 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,215,351 times
I agree 100% with everything texas7 says. It's better to spend a little more because those places that cost more are less likely to fall into decline. Those places texas7 listed are all nice and well kept.

My opinion, for what it's worth:
I would not recommend the Cove. That is a place experiencing decline.

I'm not sure about the Retreat, either. At one time that place was getting run down, but I drive by it often and it looks ok from the outside.

I've never been inside the Regatta, but it is remodeled, and looks great from the road.

My co-worker lived at Wolf Creek, and he just moved to Friendswood. He said it was ok, but a bit run down. Not unsafe though. I don't know anything about Newport.

That's a big no to Presidio. That area used to have nice apartments, but it is declining. I often shop at the Kroger across the street from that complex. Saw a cop car stopped on the road one night and they were checking out a guy face down in the grass at that apt complex.

1516, 1500, 1900 Bay Area - no, no, and no. I looked at a place in the 1500 block 2 years ago. While it was well maintained, the neighborhood (I mean the complex) was sketchy.

I second renting a townhome on Egret Bay. There are lots to choose from. We do that now, and it is the best value while we save for a house. You won't be looking over your shoulder all the time at night either.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM

I have checked that Egret Bay condos are in McWhirter elementary school zone - this is the worst elementary school in Clear Creek district. Are there any decent condos located in better school zones?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:12 PM

36 posts, read 101,935 times
Look no further than the Park at Armand Bayou. Superb.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,425,893 times
I would 2nd some of the recommendations listed here, mainly those for the complexes run by the finger companies (village on the lake, las palmas, the park at armand bayou). When we first moved down here, we were taken around to around 15 apartment complexes... the ones run by finger were definitely at a higher level. We ended up in a slightly smaller unit at Village on the Lake... stayed there for around 15 months until we found a house. We were very happy. The upkeep of the property was top notch... we never had any complaints with regards to neighbors/noise... and there are also great amenities (gym, multiple pools, lounges) if you're into those things. I would also recommend staying away from the area around 45/El Dorado... those complexes definitely look shady.

Village on the Lake and the Park at Armand Bayou are zoned to Brookwood Elementary... one of (if not) the best in CCISD. Here's a link to CCISD schools by apartment: http://www2.ccisd.net/Libraries/CCIS...0-11.sflb.ashx

Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 PM

352 posts, read 772,785 times
What about these places in league city

Amalfi At Tuscan Lakes
The Haven At South Shore
Harbor Walk
Voyager at Space Center
Villas At Edgewater

Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 PM

98 posts, read 308,662 times
I constantly read on here about “bad” apartments in Clear Lake. Honestly, I just don't see it. I run by many of the places mentioned a few times a week and I have never seen anything that would suggest to me that they are dangerous or run down. There's nothing nominally scary about the Presido or Cove. I can't speak to living at either of them, but I regularly run by the Cove at night and can assure you I'm never ever afraid. Even the apartments on El Dorado that people on here seem to take issue with seem pretty nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston