U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM

896 posts, read 3,638,662 times

Advertisements

I was at the shop in Rosenberg, TX (just West from Sugar Land) fixing my car. And in a matter of 2 hours I saw 2 guys (one black, one white) coming in with their pistols in open holsters on their right side. The pistols were not concealed or anything.

I am wondering if life is so tough out there in Rosenberg, they have to carry pistols like cowboys? They must be scrambling through squadrons of Indians and shooting back every time they hit highway 59? LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM

3,081 posts, read 6,604,621 times
They could have been POLICE officers. I have seen many plain clothes men AND women wearing guns, and they were law enforcement.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,777,133 times
Law enforcement or Feds.

Concealed weapons law means just that..concealed.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,347,280 times
open carry is not legal in the state of texas, so they must've been law enforcement

Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 AM

896 posts, read 3,638,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
They could have been POLICE officers. I have seen many plain clothes men AND women wearing guns, and they were law enforcement.
Now new questions:
- Why there were so many of them in civilian clothes in farmers land? I did not see so many and with a hanging pistol in Houston.
- Where is the badge or any identification they belong to a police?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM

4,517 posts, read 11,316,715 times
In many small towns in East Texas the sheriffs still walk around in a ten gallon hat, cowboy boots with a six shooter at their side.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,889,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
In many small towns in East Texas the sheriffs still walk around in a ten gallon hat, cowboy boots with a six shooter at their side.
Haven't most public safety departments replaced six-shooters with magazine-fed handguns?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,245,943 times
If they owned the property they were on, or had permission from the owners of the property, they could open carry like that. Otherwise, they were Law Enforcement officers of some type.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM

344 posts, read 1,015,435 times
I'll take your word that's a pistol displayed in a holster because the photo is not all that clear. Too many guys running around with geeky cell phones/hip computers in holsters these days.

As pointed out previously, Texas has laws regulating the carrying of handguns, and allows for concealed carry, but not an open carry.

As for these guys being police officers...it seems to me that the concept of being plainclothes is centered on the idea that people don't readily recognize you as a police officer. Most agencies require that non-uniformed officers, and off-duty officers in plainclothes carry their weapons concealed. If you go into a police station you will probably see officers in plainclothes who are openly carrying. If they leave the station they should (or should in the ideal world) conceal the weapon. There are agencies that don't require that, or officers who just violate the policy. My personal opinion is that a plainclothes officer out in public with an openly displayed weapon is tactically unsound. They're giving up an advantage for no good reason.

Unfortunately some police officers are not all that tactically proficient. I've seen officers in plainclothes eating dinner with their family at a restaurant, an obvious plain wrap police car parked out front, sitting with their back to the door.

Of course this happened in Rosenberg, and while I know some of you think Ft. Bend County is a hotbed of criminal activity, it's a regular peaceful Hooterville compared to what's going on up 59 in Houston. Maybe some cops are lulled into thinking it's so safe out here that they can afford to be loose.

To keep the public from freaking out, if these guys were cops they should have been displaying their badges.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM

2,783 posts, read 5,862,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Haven't most public safety departments replaced six-shooters with magazine-fed handguns?
Many departments give their officers/deputies the choice between carrying a revolver or a semi-automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or