Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,806,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I'm black.

If you have never traveled much to other cities of course you'd say that.
well like red stated, it depens on what you're looking for. i've heard nothing but good things from out-of-towners about houston's nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,697,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well like red stated, it depens on what you're looking for. i've heard nothing but good things from out-of-towners about houston's nightlife
It is great in its own way but when you have traveled to a number of cities, you start to realize that it should have more for a city of its size and that cities with a similiar population have more to offer.

Once again, I am not saying that the nightlife in Houston totally sucks.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
Quote:
It is great in its own way but when you have traveled to a number of cities, you start to realize that it should have more for a city of its size and that cities with a similiar population have more to offer.

Houston is not a concentrated city why would you expect the nightlife to be concentrated.

I mean if Houston was neat and compact would be plausible for the nightlife to be concentrated, but I think a lot of people are thankful that the nightlife is spread around so that people can have fun in pockets all around the city

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

so the only people who will like houston's nightlife are those who don't know any better?....c'mon now. like i said, it depends on what the individual likes

Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM

*notices people who take everything personal when someone says something about Houston that they don't like*

Old 12-21-2010, 01:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
no one took anything personal, you stated your point, people responded. Its kinda how message boards work

Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,556,394 times
The fact that alot of black celebs constanly visit and party here in Houston. And the fact that XXL magazine named it one of the best Top 10 cities for Blacks. I would say Houston isn't lacking as much as what it has to offer then other cities when it comes to 20 something african american males/females. I don't know how you know what cities I've been to but I've been to and experience the nightlife in a couple of cities across the nation.

1.Atlanta(numerous times)
2.DFW(wayyy too many times I could remember not to mention I use to stay in Dallas plenty of summers)
3.Chicago
4.Detroit
5.San Fransico-Oakland
6.NYC
7.7 cities of VA
8.New Orleans
9.Austin
10.Baltimore
11. Cincinnati
12.Oklahoma City
13.Shreveport,LA
14.Memphis
15.Hartford,CT
15.St.Louis
16.Dayton,OH
17.Denver
18.Waco
19.Louisville
20.Jacksonville,FL
21.Birmingham,AL
22.Baton Rogue,LA
23.Beamount,TX
24.Killeen,TX

Now these are cities that I've been to where I actually experienced the nightlife..some cities I've done it several times. Enough time to get a vibe of what the night life is like constantly. Some maybe just once the weekend. Out of that whole list of the places I experienced night life..besides Atlanta,NYC,Chicago..I would say Houston has much more to offer then the other cities I've been to. And I even feel that Houston nightlife scene is more poppin then Chicago. Chicago over the years has fallen off a bit on the nightlife and esp. the club scene aint what it use to be when I use to visit in the late 90's/early 00's. The Bay Area had a ok nightlife but for a area it's size I felt it could have been alot better. Denver,Cinny,Ok City,Louisville are ghost towns for real. And you talk about a city for it's size should offer better nightlife go take a trip to Denver if you haven't already. I don't want to go skiing in the mountains at night time. Baton Rogue,Birmingham,Jacksonville, were all fun places for me but it didn't have a variety of nightlife choices outside of hood type parties. I enjoyed Memphis alot but doesn't have as much variety. Waco was just boring unless you were a Baylor student and even then that was pushing it. Detroit was cool but it doesn't leave you with alot of options, kinda depressing. Same with St.Louis..Hartford was ok..New Orleans is great for out of towners but I could see myself getting tired of FQ. The club scene outside of FQ is cool but it aint up to par with Houston level. DFW has a popping club scene. But I kinda agree w/ some Atlanta ppl that visit the city. It's like a baby Atlanta and I've never heard them downground Houston nightlife on such a level. But I could careless what a Atl native has to say. Austin has alot to offer for other crowds. Has little to offer as far as hip-hop crowds or black crowds. And I like Austin but I wouldn't rush to it unless I wanted to see mad drunk ppl on the streets.

I've never been to Miami or D.C. or L.A. but I would imagine they have pretty extensive nightlifes for my type of crowd. But you have Chicago, Atlanta,NYC,Miami,D.C.,L.A.,Houston,DFW. Houston to me is easily one of the top spots for 20 somethings in America. They have one of the most popular club web-sites (indmix.com) and not to mention I always hear Houston mentioned in several hip-hop/r&b songs and it aint for the job market and affordable house prices. I would even say outside of Atlanta, NYC,LA,Miami, Houston would be the 5th destination for black entertainers. You can downplay it all you want but it's alot more that's not downplaying Houston's night life

Last edited by Redlionjr; 12-21-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
*notices people who take everything personal when someone says something about Houston that they don't like*
I'm not from, nor have I ever lived in houston. so there goes that theory.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but seriously...

Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The fact that alot of black celebs constanly visit and party here in Houston. And the fact that XXL magazine named it one of the best Top 10 cities for Blacks. I would say Houston isn't lack as much as what it has to offer then other cities when it comes to 20 something african american males. I don't know how you know what cities I've been to but I've been to and experience the nightlife in a couple of cities across the nation.

1.Atlanta(numerous times)
2.DFW(wayyy too many times I could remember not to mention I use to stay in Dallas plenty of summers)
3.Chicago
4.Detroit
5.San Fransico-Oakland
6.NYC
7.7 cities of VA
8.New Orleans
9.Austin
10.Baltimore
11. Cincinnati
12.Oklahoma City
13.Shreveport,LA
14.Memphis
15.Hartford,CT
15.St.Louis
16.Dayton,OH
17.Denver
18.Waco
19.Louisville
20.Jacksonville,FL
21.Birmingham,AL
22.Baton Rogue,LA
23.Beamount,TX
24.Killeen,TX

Now these are cities that I've been to where I actually experienced the nightlife..some cities I've done it several times. Enough time to get a vibe of what the night life is like constantly. Some maybe just once the weekend. Out of that whole list of the places I experienced night life..besides Atlanta,NYC,Chicago..I would say Houston has much more to offer then the other cities I've been to. And I even feel that Houston nightlife scene is more poppin then Chicago. Chicago over the years has fallen off a bit on the nightlife and esp. the club scene aint what it use to be when I use to visit in the late 90's/early 00's. The Bay Area had a ok nightlife but for a area it's size I felt it could have been alot better. Denver,Cinny,Ok City,Louisville are ghost towns for real. And you talk about a city for it's size should offer better nightlife go take a trip to Denver if you haven't already. I don't want to go skiing in the mountains at night time. Baton Rogue,Birmingham,Jacksonville, were all fun places for me but it didn't have a variety of nightlife choices outside of hood type parties. I enjoyed Memphis alot but doesn't have as much variety. Waco was just boring unless you were a Baylor student and even then that was pushing it. Detroit was cool but it doesn't leave you with alot of options, kinda depressing. Same with St.Louis..Hartford was ok..New Orleans is great for out of towners but I could see myself getting tired of FQ. The club scene outside of FQ is cool but it aint up to par with Houston level. DFW has a popping club scene. But I kinda agree w/ some Atlanta ppl that visit the city. It's like a baby Atlanta and I've never heard them downground Houston nightlife on such a level. But I could careless what a Atl native has to say. Austin has alot to offer for other crowds. Has little to offer as far as hip-hop crowds or black crowds. And I like Austin but I wouldn't rush to it unless I wanted to see mad drunk ppl on the streets.

I've never been to Miami or D.C. or L.A. but I would imagine they have pretty extensive nightlifes for my type of crowd. But you have Chicago, Atlanta,NYC,Miami,D.C.,L.A.,Houston,DFW. Houston to me is easily one of the top spots for 20 somethings in America. They have one of the most popular club web-sites (indmix.com) and not to mention I always hear Houston mentioned in several hip-hop/r&b songs and it aint for the job market and affordable house prices. I would even say outside of Atlanta, NYC,LA,Miami, Houston would be the 5th destination for black entertainers. You can downplay it all you want but it's alot more that's not downplaying Houston's night life
I respect your post Redlionjr, but....

As a black person, I could care less what other blacks like or do.

Last edited by Black Jack22; 12-21-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,556,394 times
Quote:
I respect your post Redlionjr, but....

As a black person, I could care less what other blacks like or do.
Cool that's your opinion. Me I do because I happen to like to go to spots where the crowds and I have similar taste and I can feel comfortable and amongst my peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston