U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 4,065,409 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You will see that once you move here

You and Renaud should just get here already
I think he's nearer than me lol
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,834,617 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudTX View Post
I think he's nearer than me lol
the flights from France are cheaper
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 4,737,356 times
Reputation: 4047
Great publicity to be honest. Regardless if Forbes is reliable or not. It generates one thing that is VERY important and that is media attention via internet.

Forbes any time they release lists it ends up on Yahoo!'s front page and Yahoo! is the 4th most visited site online after Google, Facebook, & Twitter respectively. Meaning people see these lists and it catches their attention. Good publicity for Houston and getting its name out.

It's been topping so many lists lately that its just so unreal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 4,065,409 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Great publicity to be honest. Regardless if Forbes is reliable or not. It generates one thing that is VERY important and that is media attention via internet.

Forbes any time they release lists it ends up on Yahoo!'s front page and Yahoo! is the 4th most visited site online after Google, Facebook, & Twitter respectively. Meaning people see these lists and it catches their attention. Good publicity for Houston and getting its name out.

It's been topping so many lists lately that its just so unreal.
Yeah, 2 years ago Houston wasn't considered as a magnet for young people.But now the city is recognised
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 PM
 
10,196 posts, read 10,333,252 times
Reputation: 2135
This is good recongition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,834,617 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
This is good recongition.
yeah, I agree with Danny, the city has been getting some good highlights lately


Houston #1
America's Top Shopping Cities
Forbes.com - December 13, 2010

Top Texas Employer - Dow Chemical, Freeport
Texas Workforce Commission - November 19, 2010

Lowest Estimated Land and Regulation Costs
New Geography - November 1, 2010

Best Cities to Start a New Career
The Daily Beast - October 2010

Best Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Program - University of Houston
The Princeton Review (as reported by Entrepreneur.com) – September 2010

America's Best Airports
Travel + Leisure – July 2010

Largest 5 Year Employment Gain (June 2005 - June 2010)
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (as Reported by the Houston Business Journal) – July 28, 2010

Top Cities for Recent College Grads
Bloomberg Businessweek – July 16, 2010

Top Local Government Green Power Purchaser
Environmental Protection Agency - July 6, 2010

The Office Building of the Year (TOBY) Award - Legacy Center Business Park and Greenway Plaza
BOMA International – June 17, 2010

Best Cities for Young Professionals
Forbes.com – June 17, 2010

Highest Level of Entrepreneurial Activity Among Largest Metro Areas
Kauffman Foundation of Entrepreneurship – May 2010

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities
Manufacturers' News – May 21, 2010

Top Destination City
U-Haul International – April 2, 2010

Largest Population Gain - Harris County
U.S. Census Bureau – March 23, 2010

Top Selling Master-Planned Community - Cinco Ranch
RCLCO– March 22, 2010

Highest Growth Rate in Texas - Atascocita
Bloomberg BusinessWeek and Gadberry Group– January 2010

Texas' Largest Hospital District - Harris County Hospital District
Greater Houston Partnership Research - December 2009

Mega Market of the Year
Southern Business Development - August 2009

Highest Quality of Life Among Students - Rice University
Princeton Review (as reported by Rice University) - July 28, 2009

America's Best Hospitals - Cancer, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
U.S News & World Report - July 15, 2009

Lowest Cost of Living Among Major Metro Areas
ACCRA Cost of Living Index - Second Quarter 2009

Best City to Get Ahead
Forbes.com - June 19, 2009

Top Texas Tourist Destination
Office of the Governor, Economic Development and Tourism- May 12, 2009

Most Business Friendly
FDI Magazine - April 2009

Top Metro in the Nation
Site Selection Magazine - March 2009

Best Affordable Suburb in Texas - Friendswood
BusinessWeek- February 2009

Nation's Healthiest Housing Market
Builder and Hanley Wood Market Intelligence - February 2009

Best U.S. City to Earn a Living
Forbes.com - August 18, 2008

Best City to Buy a Home
Forbes.com - July 14, 2008

Best City to Live, Work and Play
Kiplinger's Personal Finance - July 2008

Best City for Your Job
BusinessWeek - June 12, 2008

Best City for Recent College Grads
Forbes.com - June 26, 2008

Largest IT Service Economy
Onforce, Inc. (VoIP Monitor) – December 5, 2008

Most Accessible City for the Disabled
The National Organization on Disability - February 14, 2008

Highest Population Growth in the Nation
U.S. Census Bureau (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - July 10, 2008

Houston #2
Best Cities for Young Adults
Forbes.com - December 15, 2010

World's Top Amphitheaters - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Pollstar Magazine (as reported by CultureMap.com) - October 18, 2010

Most Charity Conscious Cities
Charity Navigator - June 1, 2010

Largest Population Gain Among Metro Areas
U.S. Census Bureau - March 23, 2010

Counties with Highest Job Growth - Montgomery
Bureau of Labor Statistics - October 16, 2009

Nation's Top Export Markets
U.S. Department of Commerce - July 14, 2008

Houston #3
Number of Fortune 500 Headquarters
Fortune Magazine - April 2010

Best Cities for Jobs
Forbes.com - April 20, 2010

Best Housing Markets
Forbes.com - February 2010

Counties with Highest Job Growth - Fort Bend
Bureau of Labor Statistics - October 16, 2009

Fastest Growing Cities
US Census Bureau – July 2009

North American Cities of the Future
FDI Magazine – April 2009

Green Jobs
Global Insight – October 2008

Nation's Most Charitable Cities
Charity Navigator's 2008 Metro Market Charitable Analysis Study

Houston #4
Best Value in Private Colleges - Rice University
Kiplinger – October 2010

Annual Exports
The Brookings Institution – July 2010

Economic Strength
Policom Corporation – May 13, 2010

Where the Recession is Easing
Forbes.com – March 2010

America's Most Generous Cities
Entertainment Publications (as reported by PRNewswire) – December 2009

Hottest Labor Markets
Bizjournals.com – October 16, 2009

Best Metro Areas to Launch a Small Business
CNN Money - October 2009

Green Space
Smarter Cities - August 2009

Cities Where Your Nest Egg Goes Farthest
Forbes.com - October 2008

Best Big City for Business
Inc.com - July 2008

Top Ten Up-and-Coming Tech Cities
Forbes.com - March 10, 2008

Top Cities for African Americans
BlackEnterprise.com - September 17, 2007

Best Value in Private Institutions - Rice University
Kiplinger's - February 2009

Houston #5
Top Counties for Job Growth - Fort Bend County
CNN Money - July 12, 2010

Best Places for Young Adults
Portfolio.com - March 2010

Best Performing Cities
Milken Institute- November 2009

Top Markets for Income Growth
BizJournals.com- September 2009

Highest Total Personal Income
Bureau of Economic Analysis - August 6, 2009

America's Best Hospitals - Heart, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
U.S News & World Report - July 15, 2009

Largest Share of National GETUP
Federal Highway Administration; Department of Commerce (as reported in the New York Times) – July 2, 2009

Houston #6
Best Cities to Own a Home
Forbes.com – October 26, 2010

Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs - Rice University
The Princeton Review (as reported by Entrepreneur.com) – September 2010

Total Single Establishment Births - Harris County
Small Business Administration, Office of Advocacy – May 2010

Most Employed in Science and Engineering Occupations
Bureau of Labor Statistics (as reported by the National Science Foundation) – April 2010

Most Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – March 2010

Where the Jobs Are - Fort Bend County
CNNMoney.com - July 13, 2009

Best U.S. University for Nanotechnology Research and Commercialization
Small Times: Annual University Survey - May 5, 2009

Highest Number of Master's Degrees
The Comparative Guide to American Suburbs 2009/2010 Edition

Top U.S. Real Estate Investment Markets
Urban Land Institute (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - January 10, 2008

Houston #7
America's Most Affordable Cities
Forbes.com - October 28, 2010

Top U.S. Art Cities
Away.com - 2010

Least Expensive Large U.S. Cities for Business
KPMG - April 2010

World's Smartest Cities
Forbes.com - December 2009

America's Most Visited Museums - Houston Museum of Natural Science
ForbesTraveler.com - March 10, 2009

Houston #8
Top Cities for Clean-Tech Jobs
Clean Edge, Inc. - October 2010

America's Fastest Recovering Cities
Forbes.com - November, 19 2009

Houston #9
America's Best Airports - George Bush Intercontinental
The Daily Beast - November 2010

Most Livable Bargain Markets
MSN Real Estate - October 2009

Most Affordable Cities for Dating
Match.com - August 18, 2009

Best Zoos for Kids
Parents.com - April 14, 2009

Houston #10
Most High-Tech Jobs
TechAmerica Foundation (as reported by the Houston Business Journal) - December 8, 2010

Inc. 5000 - Top Metro Areas
Inc. Magazine - August 24, 2010

Green Energy Leaders
Scientific American- June 2009

The World's Most Inventive Cities
BusinessWeek - April 2009

Highest Number of High School Graduates - Cinco Ranch
The Comparative Guide to American Suburbs 2009/2010 Edition

Houston "Other"
10 American Cities Best Situated for Recovery
Newsweek – November 8, 2010

10 Great Cities for Young Adults
Kiplinger.com – July 27, 2010

America's Best Children's Hospitals - Texas Children's Hospital
U.S. News and World Report – June 2, 2010

America's Top 10 Underrated Cities
Sherman's Travel – May 2010

Top 5 Locations for Logistics Companies - Greenspoint District
Expansion Solutions Magazine (as reported by GlobeSt.com) – April 21, 2010

Ten Technology Incubators that are Changing the World - Houston Technology Center
Forbes.com - April 16, 2010

America's Safest Cities - Sugar Land
CQ Press (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - November 23, 2009

Great Places in America - Montrose
American Planning Association - October 2009

Top Ten Places for Tech Jobs
US News and World Report- September 15, 2009

World Capital of the Future
Forbes.com- September 2, 2009
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 1,428,835 times
Reputation: 2346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah, I agree with Danny, the city has been getting some good highlights lately


Houston #1
America's Top Shopping Cities
Forbes.com - December 13, 2010

Top Texas Employer - Dow Chemical, Freeport
Texas Workforce Commission - November 19, 2010

Lowest Estimated Land and Regulation Costs
New Geography - November 1, 2010

Best Cities to Start a New Career
The Daily Beast - October 2010

Best Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Program - University of Houston
The Princeton Review (as reported by Entrepreneur.com) – September 2010

America's Best Airports
Travel + Leisure – July 2010

Largest 5 Year Employment Gain (June 2005 - June 2010)
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (as Reported by the Houston Business Journal) – July 28, 2010

Top Cities for Recent College Grads
Bloomberg Businessweek – July 16, 2010

Top Local Government Green Power Purchaser
Environmental Protection Agency - July 6, 2010

The Office Building of the Year (TOBY) Award - Legacy Center Business Park and Greenway Plaza
BOMA International – June 17, 2010

Best Cities for Young Professionals
Forbes.com – June 17, 2010

Highest Level of Entrepreneurial Activity Among Largest Metro Areas
Kauffman Foundation of Entrepreneurship – May 2010

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities
Manufacturers' News – May 21, 2010

Top Destination City
U-Haul International – April 2, 2010

Largest Population Gain - Harris County
U.S. Census Bureau – March 23, 2010

Top Selling Master-Planned Community - Cinco Ranch
RCLCO– March 22, 2010

Highest Growth Rate in Texas - Atascocita
Bloomberg BusinessWeek and Gadberry Group– January 2010

Texas' Largest Hospital District - Harris County Hospital District
Greater Houston Partnership Research - December 2009

Mega Market of the Year
Southern Business Development - August 2009

Highest Quality of Life Among Students - Rice University
Princeton Review (as reported by Rice University) - July 28, 2009

America's Best Hospitals - Cancer, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
U.S News & World Report - July 15, 2009

Lowest Cost of Living Among Major Metro Areas
ACCRA Cost of Living Index - Second Quarter 2009

Best City to Get Ahead
Forbes.com - June 19, 2009

Top Texas Tourist Destination
Office of the Governor, Economic Development and Tourism- May 12, 2009

Most Business Friendly
FDI Magazine - April 2009

Top Metro in the Nation
Site Selection Magazine - March 2009

Best Affordable Suburb in Texas - Friendswood
BusinessWeek- February 2009

Nation's Healthiest Housing Market
Builder and Hanley Wood Market Intelligence - February 2009

Best U.S. City to Earn a Living
Forbes.com - August 18, 2008

Best City to Buy a Home
Forbes.com - July 14, 2008

Best City to Live, Work and Play
Kiplinger's Personal Finance - July 2008

Best City for Your Job
BusinessWeek - June 12, 2008

Best City for Recent College Grads
Forbes.com - June 26, 2008

Largest IT Service Economy
Onforce, Inc. (VoIP Monitor) – December 5, 2008

Most Accessible City for the Disabled
The National Organization on Disability - February 14, 2008

Highest Population Growth in the Nation
U.S. Census Bureau (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - July 10, 2008

Houston #2
Best Cities for Young Adults
Forbes.com - December 15, 2010

World's Top Amphitheaters - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Pollstar Magazine (as reported by CultureMap.com) - October 18, 2010

Most Charity Conscious Cities
Charity Navigator - June 1, 2010

Largest Population Gain Among Metro Areas
U.S. Census Bureau - March 23, 2010

Counties with Highest Job Growth - Montgomery
Bureau of Labor Statistics - October 16, 2009

Nation's Top Export Markets
U.S. Department of Commerce - July 14, 2008

Houston #3
Number of Fortune 500 Headquarters
Fortune Magazine - April 2010

Best Cities for Jobs
Forbes.com - April 20, 2010

Best Housing Markets
Forbes.com - February 2010

Counties with Highest Job Growth - Fort Bend
Bureau of Labor Statistics - October 16, 2009

Fastest Growing Cities
US Census Bureau – July 2009

North American Cities of the Future
FDI Magazine – April 2009

Green Jobs
Global Insight – October 2008

Nation's Most Charitable Cities
Charity Navigator's 2008 Metro Market Charitable Analysis Study

Houston #4
Best Value in Private Colleges - Rice University
Kiplinger – October 2010

Annual Exports
The Brookings Institution – July 2010

Economic Strength
Policom Corporation – May 13, 2010

Where the Recession is Easing
Forbes.com – March 2010

America's Most Generous Cities
Entertainment Publications (as reported by PRNewswire) – December 2009

Hottest Labor Markets
Bizjournals.com – October 16, 2009

Best Metro Areas to Launch a Small Business
CNN Money - October 2009

Green Space
Smarter Cities - August 2009

Cities Where Your Nest Egg Goes Farthest
Forbes.com - October 2008

Best Big City for Business
Inc.com - July 2008

Top Ten Up-and-Coming Tech Cities
Forbes.com - March 10, 2008

Top Cities for African Americans
BlackEnterprise.com - September 17, 2007

Best Value in Private Institutions - Rice University
Kiplinger's - February 2009

Houston #5
Top Counties for Job Growth - Fort Bend County
CNN Money - July 12, 2010

Best Places for Young Adults
Portfolio.com - March 2010

Best Performing Cities
Milken Institute- November 2009

Top Markets for Income Growth
BizJournals.com- September 2009

Highest Total Personal Income
Bureau of Economic Analysis - August 6, 2009

America's Best Hospitals - Heart, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
U.S News & World Report - July 15, 2009

Largest Share of National GETUP
Federal Highway Administration; Department of Commerce (as reported in the New York Times) – July 2, 2009

Houston #6
Best Cities to Own a Home
Forbes.com – October 26, 2010

Top Graduate Programs for Entrepreneurs - Rice University
The Princeton Review (as reported by Entrepreneur.com) – September 2010

Total Single Establishment Births - Harris County
Small Business Administration, Office of Advocacy – May 2010

Most Employed in Science and Engineering Occupations
Bureau of Labor Statistics (as reported by the National Science Foundation) – April 2010

Most Energy Efficient Commercial Buildings
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – March 2010

Where the Jobs Are - Fort Bend County
CNNMoney.com - July 13, 2009

Best U.S. University for Nanotechnology Research and Commercialization
Small Times: Annual University Survey - May 5, 2009

Highest Number of Master's Degrees
The Comparative Guide to American Suburbs 2009/2010 Edition

Top U.S. Real Estate Investment Markets
Urban Land Institute (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - January 10, 2008

Houston #7
America's Most Affordable Cities
Forbes.com - October 28, 2010

Top U.S. Art Cities
Away.com - 2010

Least Expensive Large U.S. Cities for Business
KPMG - April 2010

World's Smartest Cities
Forbes.com - December 2009

America's Most Visited Museums - Houston Museum of Natural Science
ForbesTraveler.com - March 10, 2009

Houston #8
Top Cities for Clean-Tech Jobs
Clean Edge, Inc. - October 2010

America's Fastest Recovering Cities
Forbes.com - November, 19 2009

Houston #9
America's Best Airports - George Bush Intercontinental
The Daily Beast - November 2010

Most Livable Bargain Markets
MSN Real Estate - October 2009

Most Affordable Cities for Dating
Match.com - August 18, 2009

Best Zoos for Kids
Parents.com - April 14, 2009

Houston #10
Most High-Tech Jobs
TechAmerica Foundation (as reported by the Houston Business Journal) - December 8, 2010

Inc. 5000 - Top Metro Areas
Inc. Magazine - August 24, 2010

Green Energy Leaders
Scientific American- June 2009

The World's Most Inventive Cities
BusinessWeek - April 2009

Highest Number of High School Graduates - Cinco Ranch
The Comparative Guide to American Suburbs 2009/2010 Edition

Houston "Other"
10 American Cities Best Situated for Recovery
Newsweek – November 8, 2010

10 Great Cities for Young Adults
Kiplinger.com – July 27, 2010

America's Best Children's Hospitals - Texas Children's Hospital
U.S. News and World Report – June 2, 2010

America's Top 10 Underrated Cities
Sherman's Travel – May 2010

Top 5 Locations for Logistics Companies - Greenspoint District
Expansion Solutions Magazine (as reported by GlobeSt.com) – April 21, 2010

Ten Technology Incubators that are Changing the World - Houston Technology Center
Forbes.com - April 16, 2010

America's Safest Cities - Sugar Land
CQ Press (as reported in the Houston Business Journal) - November 23, 2009

Great Places in America - Montrose
American Planning Association - October 2009

Top Ten Places for Tech Jobs
US News and World Report- September 15, 2009

World Capital of the Future
Forbes.com- September 2, 2009

HtownLove, you did that!!! With all that info Houston should be #1 for all people of all ages. There is so much info here my computer is blazing hot!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 PM
 
1,440 posts, read 1,707,288 times
Reputation: 1163
Yeah, I'm so pumped!!! (Pumping fist in the air, lol.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,834,617 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberazeneth View Post
HtownLove, you did that!!! With all that info Houston should be #1 for all people of all ages. There is so much info here my computer is blazing hot!!!
there is a lot of good number ones there
These are my favs:

Top Metro in the Nation

Top Texas Tourist Destination

America's Top Shopping Cities

Best Cities to Start a New Career

Best Cities for Young Professionals

Top Cities for Recent College Grads

Largest 5 Year Employment Gain (June 2005 - June 2010)

America's Best Airports

Largest Population Gain - Harris County

The Office Building of the Year (TOBY) Award

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 PM
 
10,196 posts, read 10,333,252 times
Reputation: 2135
Thanks for the accolades!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top