U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM

18,516 posts, read 16,281,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Oh I figured you didn't mean anything by it man. and yeah I know the feeling.. NYC can't be good at EVERYTHING..lol
you should read the article. I don't think the article mentions NY at all. That makes it especially reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM

10,276 posts, read 10,612,497 times
Honetly, do such accolades actually work? Do people actually look at accolades?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,462,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you should read the article. I don't think the article mentions NY at all. That makes it especially reliable.

HtownLove, Redlionjr and I were referring to the article that crowned our fair city, Houston not dfw(notice the lower case letters this time), the #1 place to shop in the good ol' U. S. of A. In that article Houston was #1 and NYC was #22, after El Paso. Really, El Paso?? For me This shopping article is gainig more credibility by the second!!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM

164 posts, read 223,654 times
Another pointless survey that holds as much validity as the ones saying Houston is the fattest city or Austin is the hippest. Economically, Houston rocks right now. Socially, for 20-somethings, it's average to below average--especially given it's size. In addition, I suspect that the "young" poplulation Houston gets credit for is not the sort of educated workforce people are thinking about when reading this article. This is why El Paso is ranked above NYC--lots and lots of "young" people. However, I suspect many of those people don't even have a high school diploma.

LOL at the Dallas Cowboys logo on the truck in photo of San Antonio.

In Pictures: Best Cities For Young Adults - No. 9 San Antonio, Texas - Forbes.com

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,192,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Another pointless survey that holds as much validity as the ones saying Houston is the fattest city or Austin is the hippest. Economically, Houston rocks right now. Socially, for 20-somethings, it's average to below average--especially given it's size. In addition, I suspect that the "young" poplulation Houston gets credit for is not the sort of educated workforce people are thinking about when reading this article. This is why El Paso is ranked above NYC--lots and lots of "young" people. However, I suspect many of those people don't even have a high school diploma.

In Pictures: Best Cities For Young Adults - No. 9 San Antonio, Texas - Forbes.com
True, I am not putting much stock into the survey either.

I can name about 5 cities or more that are MUCH better for young adults than Houston.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,075,711 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
True, I am not putting much stock into the survey either.

I can name about 5 cities or more that are MUCH better for young adults than Houston.
Ahhhhhh I beg to differ. Depends on what crowd you hang around. I'm a young African American in my 20's. Trust me Houston would be one of the top cities for African Americans. I guess for white people it wouldn't be I just don't know. Because honestly anytime I hear about how lame Houston nightlife is it comes from some white residents. I guess the city doesn't have that much to offer for that group of people. Just an observation. But I'd say socially coming from a black person perspective Houston is above average and top 5.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,192,515 times
Quote:
Ahhhhhh I beg to differ. Depends on what crowd you hang around. I'm a young African American in my 20's. Trust me Houston would be one of the top cities for African Americans. I guess for white people it wouldn't be I just don't know. Because honestly anytime I hear about how lame Houston nightlife is it comes from some white residents. I guess the city doesn't have that much to offer for that group of people. Just an observation. But I'd say socially coming from a black person perspective Houston is above average and top 5.
I'm black.

If you have never traveled much to other cities of course you'd say that.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 AM

164 posts, read 223,654 times
Quote:
I wouldn't classify it as lame as there some great venues here and there. It just seems like an area of almost 6 million would have more concentrated areas of nightlife. A lot of the perceived "lameness" is just a lack of organization. As the #6 area in population, Houston has the fewest offerings for socially minded singles of all the cities in the top 10. To me, Houston is more on par with Phoenix or Charlotte rather than Chicago, DC, or even DFW.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,786,061 times
Quote:
I wouldn't classify it as lame as there some great venues here and there. It just seems like an area of almost 6 million would have more concentrated areas of nightlife. A lot of the perceived "lameness" is just a lack of organization. As the #6 area in population, Houston has the fewest offerings for socially minded singles of all the cities in the top 10. To me, Houston is more on par with Phoenix or Charlotte rather than Chicago, DC, or even DFW.
I agree. I have a great time in Houston, but I wouldn't say it's one of the best.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,619,164 times
san antonio really shouldn't even be on there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston