U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM
 
82 posts, read 83,855 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
You're just talking about totally different things.

These nice fellows were not out taking a little jog, only to be set upon by the evil Mr. Castillo. They were inside his store, with guns; they tied up his wife and were going to both rob and possibly murder the two of them.

And from what I understand, the Castillos and the robbers were the same skin tone?

I am all for finding the right party. I think far too often in Texas, we've had people (often people of color) picked out of a lineup and imprisoned--even executed--because of overzealous prosecution using sketchy evidence. In all such cases, I think the state's standards ought to be much higher.

In this case, Mr. Castillo was in immediate danger on his own property. Regardless of the insurance situation, regardless of the criminal background of the people holding him and his wife ("Pardon me, sir, do you have a criminal record?"), Mr. Castillo was in immediate personal danger.

Bravo, Mr. Castillo.

And as far as their humanity---yes, in fact, I agree with the other folks--they gave up their rights when they went into the store and attacked the couple. They forfeited their rights as citizens. They deserved exactly what they got.

(And a note to all: I totally don't care what color you are or what language you speak, if you come in my house by kicking in the back door, I am going to use the shotgun first and ask questions later. It will effectively remove your head. Choose your victims carefully.)

You know I agree that it depends on the situation. However what I am referring to is very common. There are a lot of trigger happy people that would be happy to gun down...shoot and kill a person in point blank range that does not pose an immediate danger.

How rare is it for a perfect stranger to come into your home and sit at your dining room table with a cup of tea ready to rob you blind? That is not very common...and not even likely. I agree...this situation with Mr. and Ms. Castillo called for immediate action. Absolutely self-defense in this case.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 05:19 PM..

 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: NW Houston
1,150 posts, read 2,810,606 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
If I am jogging on a public sidewalk close to your home or anyone elses for that matter...how in the world can you interpret that as me being hostile with ill intent? How can you prove that? You can't. However I welcome you to challenge my "human worth" as I take my morning jog on a public sidewalk.
Why are you introducing such straw men? Nobody is talking about shooting people for jogging in front of their home.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
 
82 posts, read 83,855 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Why are you introducing such straw men? Nobody is talking about shooting people for jogging in front of their home.
Its not a straw man argument because they are not simply referring to the use of self-defense in such a situation (Mr. Castillo) where your life or the lives of others pose an immediate danger. For some the use of deadly force...as a matter of "self-defense" is justified based on speculative evidence. Its more so to assert their dominance or control over the situation...haphazard collection of information, preconceived notions/biases...especially in a situation of duress serve as cold hard facts.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: The Greater Houston Metro Area
8,951 posts, read 14,089,785 times
Reputation: 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
Wow so much ignorance in this forum, not surprised though considering the amount of republicans here.
According to the article, those thugs do not have a police record meaning they have never committed a crime here in the US. Common sense leads me to believe that they are just petty thugs, and to think they would have killed Mr. Castillo and his wife just because they wanted too is extremely ignorant. Turning a place of business that happens to be located in a heavily populated area into a warzone is not only lawfully wrong, but morally as well.

Especially since a young high school girl just died of a ricochet bullet last week.
Houston police still looking for teenage girl's killer | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
I am definately not a Republican - and would gladly donate to give Mr. Castillo a medal. Don't confuse Democrats or Independents with pushovers. We don't want to be victims, either. This man killed three predators in self-defense - and removed them from a society where they would have remained predators.

Did you ever think that they reason those thugs may not have had a record here is they always killed any witnesses that could identify them?
 
Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
 
1,488 posts, read 2,561,371 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
The dog or the person?..Or both? Or maybe it depends on the breed of both animals?

I have a little 4 month old Collie, German Shepherd, and a Yorkie...I better keep em on a tight leash! At the park I go to I always have people coming up to them petting them...I never realized anyone could take their mere presence as a perceived threat.
Well, I'd imagine your dogs wouldn't bolt down the street after a guy pushing a jogging stroller! I likely wouldn't be threatened by their mere presence, but some dogs can pose enough danger that I wouldn't want to wait until it got to me and my daughter to see if it was "just excited to see us".
 
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 20,493,570 times
Reputation: 2618
Awesome!
 
Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM
 
82 posts, read 83,855 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Well, I'd imagine your dogs wouldn't bolt down the street after a guy pushing a jogging stroller! I likely wouldn't be threatened by their mere presence, but some dogs can pose enough danger that I wouldn't want to wait until it got to me and my daughter to see if it was "just excited to see us".
Highly unlikely...unless they saw some familiar bush in the distance and you just happened to be in the way. However I am sure if their mere presence threatens you enough you have every right to take action. You can always add them to your "chain gang" picking trash off the road working off their debt to society for stealing taxpayers money and invading your clean white space.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 06:49 PM..
 
Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Eastend
173 posts, read 350,858 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
Highly unlikely...unless they saw some familiar bush in the distance and you just happened to be in the way. However I am sure if their mere presence threatens you enough you have every right to take action. You can always add them to your "chain gang" picking trash off the road working off their debt to society for stealing taxpayers money and invading your clean white space.
wow u have major issues. u keep taking things out of context. do yourself a favor and bow out of thread.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
 
82 posts, read 83,855 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Me, too, Topaz, I'm roundly criticized by my friends for being a "bleeding heart liberal" but I think Mr. Castillo acted intelligently, swiftly, and correctly.

These people aren't just robbing, they're killing, raping, maiming. And they are not deserving of any "humane" treatment, they are not "poor little lambs who have lost their way", they are menaces to society.

I'm all for getting the RIGHT ones, and I think the Police FREQUENTLY get the WRONG ones, and I think the Prosecutors are generally worthless--they're just trying to make a splash to get out of the Prosecutor's office--but when the individual citizen like Mr. Castillo is in personal danger (along with his family), there's no doubt who the "right ones" are--and he just saved himself and his family, while saving us a lot of money prosecuting their worthless ***ess, while keeping them from robbing somebody else later.

Oh, and I'm all about treating people fairly. These people were treated fairly. I hope their mama's are sobbing.
I feel terrible that a man would be attacked at his place of business. My prayers to Mr. Castillo and his family.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: The Greater Houston Metro Area
8,951 posts, read 14,089,785 times
Reputation: 14772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
Highly unlikely...unless they saw some familiar bush in the distance and you just happened to be in the way. However I am sure if their mere presence threatens you enough you have every right to take action. You can always add them to your "chain gang" picking trash off the road working off their debt to society for stealing taxpayers money and invading your clean white space.
If I had a small child out and a dog was running towards us, I would not wait to see if possible the dog recognized a familiar bush and we were just in the way. This goes back to everything else - a responsible dog owner would not allow their animal to run loose and intimidate people to the point that someone would shoot it. Someone jogging would not go in and sit at the table uninvited. That's just bizarre.

As to clean white space, everyone has said it matters not what color a criminal is - you are just as hurt or just as dead. Mr. Castillo's name would indicate that he really wasn't worried about his clean white space - just his space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top