U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM
 
82 posts, read 43,680 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
If I had a small child out and a dog was running towards us, I would not wait to see if possible the dog recognized a familiar bush and we were just in the way. This goes back to everything else - a responsible dog owner would not allow their animal to run loose and intimidate people to the point that someone would shoot it. Someone jogging would not go in and sit at the table uninvited. That's just bizarre.

As to clean white space, everyone has said it matters not what color a criminal is - you are just as hurt or just as dead. Mr. Castillo's name would indicate that he really wasn't worried about his clean white space - just his space.
I understand however some people have a very funny definition of what is personal and community/public property...and use it to intimidate others. If I am jogging on the sidewalk and just decide to run into your house, sit at your table and drink a cold glass of milk then thats entirely different. I am not talking about that at all. I am talking about homeowners crossing the line conveniently. If I am jogging within the vicinity of a person's home on a public sidewalk or street...that owner does not have the right to intimidate me and get into my space because he believes me or worse "my kind" may pose a security risk to his family, his community, and his property value. Self defense is not a valid excuse to intimidate people or make an example of others. Especially if you are selective in your approach of individuals. Often the motivation is not due to any real threat of violence...just a means of control. Pulling a gun on someone and threatening to take their life...inciting violence due to your perception...utilizing it as a tool to put fear into other targets...as well as put fear into the minds of those you seek to control.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 08:28 PM..

 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM
 
Location: West Houston
1,075 posts, read 1,554,173 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
I understand however some people have a very funny definition of what is personal and community/public property...and use it to intimidate others. If I am jogging on the sidewalk and just decide to run into your house, sit at your table and drink a cold glass of milk then thats entirely different. I am not talking about that at all. I am talking about homeowners or even business owners crossing the line conveniently. If I am jogging within the vicinity of a person's home on a public sidewalk or street...that owner does not have the right to intimidate me and get into my space because he believes me or worse "my kind" may pose a security risk to his family, his community, and his property value. Self defense is not a valid excuse to intimidate people or make an example of others. Especially if you are selective in your approach of individuals. Often the motivation is not due to any real threat of violence...just a means of control. Pulling a gun on someone and threatening to take their life...inciting violence due to your perception...utilizing it as a tool to put fear into other targets...as well as put fear into the minds of those you seek to control.
Ok, my point to you is that what you are talking about is a TOTALLY SEPARATE ISSUE from Mr. Castillo.

NOWHERE in this story was some homeowner or business owner with a gun randomly intimidating people. I don't think ANYBODY on this thread (well, maybe one or two...) thinks it's ok to just randomly shoot somebody jogging by on the street just because they have a different skin tone or are dressed differently.

I don't see how you made the quantum leap from Mr. Castillo, in his own store, accosted by gun-brandishing thugs, his wife tied up, threatened with death (from thugs apparently from the same race as himself), and somebody randomly picking out someone on the sidewalk a different color from themselves and shooting them. I think most of us would find such behavior reprehensible (in fact, there are laws on the books dealing with "murder").

I admit, I find your obtuseness on this matter irritating. The thread is discussing the actions of a store owner defending himself from attack, not a random street shooting because of race.

Now, if your point is that you're against private ownership of guns, that's fine---you can believe that, this is America, we can all believe as we like (me, I think private ownership of guns is just fine; you are responsible for your own gun, just like you're responsible for the operation of your own auto; if you use your auto to kill someone, you're going to jail; if you use your gun to just murder somebody, I HOPE you go to jail. But if the person you're trying to murder shoots you in self-defense, that's NOT a random act and it IS ok, at least in my book and according to the laws of the State of Texas!).
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM
 
82 posts, read 43,680 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Ok, my point to you is that what you are talking about is a TOTALLY SEPARATE ISSUE from Mr. Castillo.

NOWHERE in this story was some homeowner or business owner with a gun randomly intimidating people. I don't think ANYBODY on this thread (well, maybe one or two...) thinks it's ok to just randomly shoot somebody jogging by on the street just because they have a different skin tone or are dressed differently.

I don't see how you made the quantum leap from Mr. Castillo, in his own store, accosted by gun-brandishing thugs, his wife tied up, threatened with death (from thugs apparently from the same race as himself), and somebody randomly picking out someone on the sidewalk a different color from themselves and shooting them. I think most of us would find such behavior reprehensible (in fact, there are laws on the books dealing with "murder").

I admit, I find your obtuseness on this matter irritating. The thread is discussing the actions of a store owner defending himself from attack, not a random street shooting because of race.

Geez.
I dont even know why you brought up race...that is just ridiculous and so far off from the issue! Who cares about race...this is not about race AT ALL.

Sure some would find the behavior as you say reprehensible. However for many, it is a matter of self-defense.

As I said, I feel very sorry for Mr. Castillo and his family. That is something that no business owner should EVER have to go through. I am disgusted that anyone would feel it is their right to take advantage of hard working small business owners. We are talking about people who often work all their lives...honest hard working people.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Eastend
173 posts, read 223,131 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
I dont even know why you brought up race...that is just ridiculous and so far off from the issue! Who cares about race...this is not about race AT ALL.

Sure some would find the behavior as you say reprehensible. However for many, it is a matter of self-defense.

As I said, I feel very sorry for Mr. Castillo and his family. That is something that no business owner should EVER have to go through. I am disgusted that anyone would feel it is their right to take advantage of hard working small business owners. We are talking about people who often work all their lives...honest hard working people.
" I get quite tan in the summertime..."
YOU BROUGHT UP RACE!!
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM
 
82 posts, read 43,680 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydes View Post
" I get quite tan in the summertime..."
YOU BROUGHT UP RACE!!

Yes my skin goes from a pretty pink to a rosy red...and your point?
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: The Greater Houston Metro Area
7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Reputation: 8179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
I dont even know why you brought up race...that is just ridiculous and so far off from the issue! Who cares about race...this is not about race AT ALL.
You brought up race:

The dog or the person?..Or both? Or maybe it depends on the breed of both animals?


and

and invading your clean white space

and

I will make sure when I take my morning jog in the summer not to walk too close to anyone's driveway. I may stop to tie my shoe and find myself being shot dead in point blank range.

I get quite tan in the summertime...

I wondered why you had said those things because there was no underlying race issue.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 PM
 
82 posts, read 43,680 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You brought up race:

The dog or the person?..Or both? Or maybe it depends on the breed of both animals?


and

and invading your clean white space

and

I will make sure when I take my morning jog in the summer not to walk too close to anyone's driveway. I may stop to tie my shoe and find myself being shot dead in point blank range.

I get quite tan in the summertime...

I wondered why you had said those things because there was no underlying race issue.

Yes...white=clean, pure, or free from blemish. Dont tell you never heard the term clean and white used interchangeably or even together.

If I would of said "clean white man space" then that would be totally different.
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: The Greater Houston Metro Area
7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Reputation: 8179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
Yes...white=clean, pure, or free from blemish. Dont tell you never heard the term clean and white used interchangeably or even together.

If I would of said "clean white man space" then that would be totally different.
When you look at all of your comments, I don't see how you don't see how you are interjecting race into the situation.


Why would you even say something like I can get quite tan in the summertime?


You asked what was jaydes point when he/she quoted your tan statement. More to the point, what was your point in making that statement in the first place?
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 PM
 
440 posts, read 755,766 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
Wow so much ignorance in this forum, not surprised though considering the amount of republicans here.
According to the article, those thugs do not have a police record meaning they have never committed a crime here in the US. Common sense leads me to believe that they are just petty thugs, and to think they would have killed Mr. Castillo and his wife just because they wanted too is extremely ignorant. Turning a place of business that happens to be located in a heavily populated area into a warzone is not only lawfully wrong, but morally as well.

Especially since a young high school girl just died of a ricochet bullet last week.
Houston police still looking for teenage girl's killer | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Wow so much ignorance in this forum, not surprised though considering the amount of leftist morons here. Now there - that improved civil discussion didn't it?

Their criminal history is irrelevent - they tied up the wife and robbed the store.

"to think they would have killed Mr. Castillo and his wife just because they wanted too is extremely ignorant." And you think this because criminals have never tied people up and raped or killed them??
 
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
 
440 posts, read 755,766 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
Highly unlikely...unless they saw some familiar bush in the distance and you just happened to be in the way. However I am sure if their mere presence threatens you enough you have every right to take action. You can always add them to your "chain gang" picking trash off the road working off their debt to society for stealing taxpayers money and invading your clean white space.
Leftist, racist, hater. Charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top