U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,094,915 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Houston from overseas this summer with 2 kids, 3 & 5 years. We have narrowed down our neighborhood search to Spring Branch ISD south of Memorial, west of Sam Houston (east way too pricey!) or 77079, the Barbara Bush Elementary zone. We like the 'feel' of the older neighborhood but are really impressed with BB Elementary. Plan to rent at first but in any event would prefer not to move school districts once we're settled. Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM

724 posts, read 1,423,280 times
It sounds like you are doing your homework.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,471,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
We're moving to Houston from overseas this summer with 2 kids, 3 & 5 years. We have narrowed down our neighborhood search to Spring Branch ISD south of Memorial, west of Sam Houston (east way too pricey!) or 77079, the Barbara Bush Elementary zone. We like the 'feel' of the older neighborhood but are really impressed with BB Elementary. Plan to rent at first but in any event would prefer not to move school districts once we're settled. Any advice appreciated!
I live in the area, but don't know jack about the schools.

Perhaps LizzySWW will see this thread (I'll bring it to her attention); she's very "up" on the schools and street-by-street in this area.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,217,721 times
Also, check with cherryjohns. She is an extremely knowledgible realtor. She knows numbers and school districts.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
It sounds like you are doing your homework.
As much as one can remotely! I'm just not sure how the schools compare - Barbara Bush/West Briar/Westside v. Nottingham Forest(or Meadow Wood)/Spring Forest/Stratford. What's attracting us south of Terry Hershey Park from our preferred neighborhood is Barbara Bush, it just stands out as an excellent elementary school.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,765,250 times
If you can swing the price tag, Wilchester,Gaywood,Memorial Glen, and Rustling Pines in 77079 will get you into the best middle school in the metro, Memorial Middle. The Elem. schools in area are of course excellent. Stratford and Westside are both very good, but just the smaller district of SBISD and neighborhoods are more traditionally attractive to most. Also, in an unstable economy the areas ( house values) within SBISD have faired very well during past economic problems.

BTW... I think Nottingham Forest is an incredible neighborhood for a young family, with a wonderful neighborhood park/pool/tennis club house right on Terry Hershey. Spring Forest has improved so much in the past few years as the elderly have moved on and the younger families have moved back in, it's revived. Meadow Wood Elem is Exemplary and Stratford has always been highly regaurded. Yorkshire is my favorite neighborhood west of the Beltway, with enourmous lots and Terry Hershey access, but it's more cost prohibitive and most people put their children in private. Keep in mind that throughout the city, no matter the neighborhood, many spring for private. You will be stunned at how many will pay for private just for middle school, returning to public in high school. While an Elem school is important, the middle and high schools, AND the children your kids go to school with, are faaaaaaaaaar more important in the long run.

My suggestion is to VISIT Barbara Bush, Meadow Wood, Wilchester and it's principals before making the move. Your opinions may change by touring the schools. Of course Meadow Wood doesn't exist right now, it's been knocked down and a whole new facility is currently under construction. But it will be done by spring and ready for the next school year. All the kids are over on the Rummel Creek campus.

The only thing I can say is that West Briar's and Spring Forest's student population areas can be socio-economically stressful. However, Spring Forest has really put the screws to the kids and it's made a huge step forward in handling the vast differences.

But for me, if it was family move/school choice between ANYWHERE south of bayou and 77079,I would chose 77079 east of Dairy Ashford. JMHO...and I do live in in the area.

Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,943,412 times
Home prices in West Memorial (77079) increase in dollar per square foot in an Eastward direction (towards downtown). School desirability for most parents generally follows that Eastward pattern.

Although NOT exactly politically correct, parents in these zips pay more for homes located in zones with the least amount of economically disadvantaged kids (low income apts & heavier minority numbers). It's all about what you are personally ok with so check out the demographics carefully for each school you are considering.

If you go with 77079, your biggest school decision will be between the 2 middle schools- Memorial Moddle zone (East of Kirkwood) and Spring Forest Middle zone (West of Kirkwood). Since Memorial Middle homes cost more per sq foot, your budget might decide for you. I don't see a budget in your OP.

Barbara Bush in HISD is good, but the middle & high for that area isn't what parents in SBISD schools wouldn't find comparable to their trio of.........just for example: Rummel Creek Elem-Memorial Middle-Stratford high.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
But for me, if it was family move/school choice between ANYWHERE south of bayou and 77079,I would chose 77079 east of Dairy Ashford. JMHO...and I do live in in the area.

Good Luck!
Anything I should know about west of Diary Ashford? It seems quite nice and the elementary school, Nottingham Forest, seems to rate well too.

Thank you all for your comments so far, very helpful. I would love to hear from someone south of the bayou though, anyone ?

p.s. rental budget $3,000 - $3,500/mth.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,471,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Anything I should know about west of Diary Ashford? It seems quite nice and the elementary school, Nottingham Forest, seems to rate well too.

Thank you all for your comments so far, very helpful. I would love to hear from someone south of the bayou though, anyone ?

p.s. rental budget $3,000 - $3,500/mth.
I live south of the bayou. The kids in my neighborhood go to Westside and have no noticeable ill effects.

There is a direct access point to Terry Hershey Park from my neighborhood.

In general (THIS IS A SWEEPING GENERALIZATION), you want to stay EAST of Dairy Ashford if possible. Nothing wrong with west, and if that's where you find the best compromise, well, good, but when I was looking (3 years ago) you definitely wanted to stay EAST of Dairy Ashford. North of the Bayou is generally better than south of the Bayou.

Avoid the temptation to rent/buy on any of the MAJOR streets (including Kimberley). You get so much more that way, but there is a reason those prices are lower.

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,393 times
I moved south of the Bayou in 77077 (Country Village) about 2 months ago. I was given advice to stay north of Briar Forest.

We don't have kids, so I can't comment on the schools.

The neighborhood is nice, with well kept homes and quiet neighbors. I would say it is about 20% younger families and mostly retired people.

There is a neighborhood email list about crime in the whole west wide of town. Lately, here have been some break ins during the workday and a couple of muggings at grocery stores near Memorial and Dairy Ashford and Briar Forest and Dairy Ashford. I suspect this is typical for most areas in Houston. We do not feel unsafe, but it is different than when we lived in the suburbs in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or