U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 PM

93 posts, read 227,205 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a lot of the new construction is all differing shades of tan. Doesn't matter if it's cheap housing or nice areas. Is there some new law I am not aware of? Are they painting the neighborhoods in desert camo in anticipation of Al Gore's Global Warming and concurrent desertification of Houston? I see whole neighborhoods and all the houses are tan, off-tan, slightly darker tan (but NOT dark tan). What the heck is going on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 PM

8,950 posts, read 14,085,961 times
Blame the new owners - less spec houses going up - so the colors of brick/trim/stone/wood are being chosen by the owners-to-be.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,472,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFat View Post
I'm seeing a lot of the new construction is all differing shades of tan. Doesn't matter if it's cheap housing or nice areas. Is there some new law I am not aware of? Are they painting the neighborhoods in desert camo in anticipation of Al Gore's Global Warming and concurrent desertification of Houston? I see whole neighborhoods and all the houses are tan, off-tan, slightly darker tan (but NOT dark tan). What the heck is going on??
Lemmings.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 PM

85 posts, read 163,358 times
Mine is dark red brick with tan siding trim
But I have noticed a lot of bland, neutral exteriors while we were house hunting. Yuck and Yawn.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,243,864 times
Could be HOA rules ... they control paint colors .... so the neutrals sort of prevent the house next door to you from become electric blue or violet.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:08 PM

9,781 posts, read 7,647,539 times
Our neighborhood is various shades of beige with various shades of brick. Don't know about anybody else, but the garish signs in Houston are about all the visual stimulation I can handle. Ugly signs and traffic. The last thing I want to see is a purple house on one side and a chartreus one across the street.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM

430 posts, read 1,051,244 times
Agree with texas7. The developer (and later the HOA) limited us to choosing amongst 20 shades of beige when deciding on house color. Exciting? No. But as crone points out, it does eliminate the chance of having a chartreuse house next door.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM

93 posts, read 227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
The developer (and later the HOA) limited us to choosing amongst 20 shades of beige when deciding on house color.
Twenty shades of beige? Really?? Wow so it IS a conspiracy! What's wrong with a soft green? Or white? Or a ruddy tan? It's bad enough all the architecture looks almost identical everywhere in Texas, now they have to quash one of the few things you can do to make a house individual. I can understand them stopping people from doing neon, bright, weird colors, but this is Nazism plain and simple!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM

28 posts, read 71,353 times
There is a school bus yellow house in the new part of Cinco Ranch...looks so out of place. It is on Spring Green and sits back behind the lake. It's probably over $800,000. Every time I go by it I think he owns the school bus factory!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 PM

9,781 posts, read 7,647,539 times
This kinda stuff gets really tricky. Remember the lady with the little Queen Ann in a San Antonio Historical district? She painted her house purple. They sued. She said whose history are you talking about. My people, who settled this town, used this color a lot. She put very large paintings of voluptuous nude women opposite windows so they were the focal point to anyone passing. By the time case was got to court the house had faded to a very soft lavender so they left her alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston