U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM
 
912 posts, read 1,678,712 times
Reputation: 770

Advertisements

The only problem I can see with this story is that the robber died in hospital rather than in the store meaning valuable resources were wasted on the scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,609 posts, read 9,772,230 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
When people have nothing to lose, they lose it. The crime rate will continue go up because of this slow economy. People are getting desperate.
You know, I'm not buying that sorry excuse. People who are not inherently violent are not to pick up a gun or a knife and threaten bodily harm to others - even during desperation -- they might shoplift, break into cars. etc. but they aren't going to become violent - this stuff is just thugs who find it easier to steal than look for even a minimum wage job. And, yes you can live on a minimum wage job - just not the high life. My cousin's kid, works minimum wage jobs and at times he has held two jobs depending on his situation at the time - it isn't ideal but he is an honest young man who does what he needs to do to get along in life. So desperate and committing armed and violent robbery - not buying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Baytown
317 posts, read 305,356 times
Reputation: 103
Gotta love a good DRT story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Texas/Louisiana
143 posts, read 170,286 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You know, I'm not buying that sorry excuse. People who are not inherently violent are not to pick up a gun or a knife and threaten bodily harm to others - even during desperation -- they might shoplift, break into cars. etc. but they aren't going to become violent - this stuff is just thugs who find it easier to steal than look for even a minimum wage job. And, yes you can live on a minimum wage job - just not the high life. My cousin's kid, works minimum wage jobs and at times he has held two jobs depending on his situation at the time - it isn't ideal but he is an honest young man who does what he needs to do to get along in life. So desperate and committing armed and violent robbery - not buying that.
I guess you haven't seen grandma/grandpa robbing banks reported on the news. When they get caught, their excuse is they need the money to buy food. People losing their jobs have caused them to lose it. How about that guy with a gun in Florida threatening the school board because his wife lost her job. That happened recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
 
1,174 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
I guess you haven't seen grandma/grandpa robbing banks reported on the news. When they get caught, their excuse is they need the money to buy food. People losing their jobs have caused them to lose it. How about that guy with a gun in Florida threatening the school board because his wife lost her job. That happened recently.
I've known lots of people who've been laid off, some for long periods of time. They're personable and non-violent. People who "lose it" because they lose their jobs were probably either (1) nursing some serious grudges against society, their family members, acquaintances, or whatever or (2) lacking in the kind of acculturation to societal mores we call ethics*. This is a country where indigent people get $200 a month in food stamp allowance per family member, free housing and a spending allowance. Nobody ever needs to go hungry or sleep under a bridge.

* In other words, they think more or less like the hunter gatherers / war bands of antiquity - anything out there that they like is a resource to be harvested, no matter who has claim to it; morality does not enter into the equation. Part of the reason we need law enforcement is to rein in individuals like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
 
10,305 posts, read 10,742,750 times
Reputation: 2223
What's going on with robbers in Houston? Hopefully, these stories help reduce the robber's population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
NCN
 
14,087 posts, read 12,463,070 times
Reputation: 16182
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
When people have nothing to lose, they lose it. The crime rate will continue go up because of this slow economy. People are getting desperate.
There is nothing immoral about a slow economy. People commit crimes because they neglected to learn "Thou shalt not steal." And then there is "Thou shalt not kill." And somewhere in between that is the idea that for law and order to be kept, sometimes someone has to protect themselves.

But the rule that is breached the most is probably "Thou shalt not covet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 PM
 
10,305 posts, read 10,742,750 times
Reputation: 2223
That's so true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,609 posts, read 9,772,230 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
I guess you haven't seen grandma/grandpa robbing banks reported on the news. When they get caught, their excuse is they need the money to buy food. People losing their jobs have caused them to lose it. How about that guy with a gun in Florida threatening the school board because his wife lost her job. That happened recently.
I've seen those stories and I don't imagine that they were society's most upstanding citizens prior to their hard luck. I know too many people down on their luck to feel any sympathy for those who resort to violence. You can get a job or a couple of jobs flipping burgers to make ends meet -- or be a Walmart greeter. Its easier for them to "take" because they've probably been "takers" most of their lives. You know bad people age and turn into Grandma and Grandpa but aging doesn't guarantee that you turn into a good person. Can't change genetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: West Houston
1,075 posts, read 1,635,526 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I've seen those stories and I don't imagine that they were society's most upstanding citizens prior to their hard luck. I know too many people down on their luck to feel any sympathy for those who resort to violence. You can get a job or a couple of jobs flipping burgers to make ends meet -- or be a Walmart greeter. Its easier for them to "take" because they've probably been "takers" most of their lives. You know bad people age and turn into Grandma and Grandpa but aging doesn't guarantee that you turn into a good person. Can't change genetics.
Exactly, and most of these thugs aren't Grandma and Grandpa on hard times---they're young, dropout, misfits who are just preying on people. And you know, I'm tired of the "they never had a chance" excuse. I have too many friends--black, white, and hispanic--who came from "disadvantaged backgrounds" who have been successful in life. Now, their success didn't come easy; it required HARD WORK. Getting a gun and robbing people is easy and requires no sustained effort.

I have neither sympathy nor empathy for the thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top