U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 146,805 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Lake Jackson to Clear Lake, WOW!

Whatever you pick make sure you take the long commute over the wifey.
Lake Jackson to Clear Lake is really nothing. 50 minute average each way. No traffic ever (which is nice)

I think we may need to get a little further in. All the way to Cypress will be horrible for me.

I went to a friends house the other day. He lives at TC Jester and 43rd street in Oak Forest. It was an older subdivision but had a lot of charm and pretty trees.

Any idea on how safe Oak Forest area is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 146,805 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Lake Jackson to Clear Lake, WOW!

Whatever you pick make sure you take the long commute over the wifey.
She drives a new Prius... I drive a Subaru WRX with a stick shift... She might have to take a little hit on driving the extra mile!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
 
4,248 posts, read 10,228,903 times
Reputation: 3109
I'd just get rid of the Subaru and get something that's more comfortable to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
fnh
 
2,032 posts, read 2,577,402 times
Reputation: 2660
My initial thought was of Oak Forest actually. Since she will only be doing the reverse commute while you head into and across town, it may be better for you to be more central. However, I assumed you wanted to be close to the beltway, I don't know why. I live off 290 just inside the beltway and we find the traffic inbound on 290 inside the beltway to be not too bad, though at rush hour there is definitely a slowdown (worse outbound in the evening.) It's a very convenient location with easy access to the beltway but if that isn't necessary I would look even closer in.

(I'm nostalgic for my Subaru Outback, stick shift and all!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 146,805 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
My initial thought was of Oak Forest actually. Since she will only be doing the reverse commute while you head into and across town, it may be better for you to be more central. However, I assumed you wanted to be close to the beltway, I don't know why. I live off 290 just inside the beltway and we find the traffic inbound on 290 inside the beltway to be not too bad, though at rush hour there is definitely a slowdown (worse outbound in the evening.) It's a very convenient location with easy access to the beltway but if that isn't necessary I would look even closer in.

(I'm nostalgic for my Subaru Outback, stick shift and all!)
I will go do some looking up in Oak Forest area. I live the fact that the homes are NOT all cookie cutter.

Any other areas around there you guys might suggest??

Oh and danieloneil01, the Subie is super comfortable... It's just too much stop and go traffic is hell on my knee!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 2,217,994 times
Reputation: 2363
I have avoided posting in this thread because ther is just not any perfect answer 80's old school. Cypress sounds good and so does Oak Forest but Chris_UT said it best.Yall are kinda screwed either way. Heck you are already going from Lake Jackson to Clear Lake!! Even if your taking F.M. 2004 that has still got to be a drive. Good luck with finding a convenient(if you can say that) satisfying location for you and your wife. Like one poster already stated,"It is going to be a long two years".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 146,805 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
I have avoided posting in this thread because ther is just not any perfect answer 80's old school. Cypress sounds good and so does Oak Forest but Chris_UT said it best.Yall are kinda screwed either way. Heck you are already going from Lake Jackson to Clear Lake!! Even if your taking F.M. 2004 that has still got to be a drive. Good luck with finding a convenient(if you can say that) satisfying location for you and your wife. Like one poster already stated,"It is going to be a long two years".

I know! It will be a sacrifice for both of us. We both are adamant about her finishing her Engineering degree from A&M. We have been sacrificing for a year now with being apart on the weekdays.

When we got married, it was to be together and we love being together! I think this will be the best scenario for us, even though both of our commutes will be horrid!

Any ideas how safe Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, Forrest West are? They sure are in close proximity to Acres Homes which seems to make the evening news a whole lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 2,217,994 times
Reputation: 2363
80's old school, I am not sure of the website, but you can get the criminal statistics by zip code and neighbourhood online. Check with Cheryjohns and Modster. They are on point when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Houston
52 posts, read 146,805 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
80's old school, I am not sure of the website, but you can get the criminal statistics by zip code and neighbourhood online. Check with Cheryjohns and Modster. They are on point when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Thanks Amber... we will do a lot more research before making a move. We want to make sure it is the most convenient (or as much as can be), safe and makes the best sense.

We will probably make the move this summer after spring semester. Our lease is up in June of this year on our townhome in College Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top