U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,030,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Yeah, I saw the looooooong line at Carl's yesterday. I am not going to sit line for 45 minutes - so I guess I will wait until the "new " wears off.

On a positive note, I tried Smash Burger a few days ago, because of this thread. I can't believe Carl's can beat them. The Smash Fries, with the seasonings, are fantastic.
That's what it was like when the first Chick-Fil-A opened up in San Diego a few years ago. The lines were ridiculous. They had people directing traffic in/out of the parking lot for 3 days.

So...do you think Smash Burger is better than Five Guys? I wasn't all that impressed by Five Guys (which I don't really qualify as "fast food" like In-n-Out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

174 posts, read 412,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
That's what it was like when the first Chick-Fil-A opened up in San Diego a few years ago. The lines were ridiculous. They had people directing traffic in/out of the parking lot for 3 days.

So...do you think Smash Burger is better than Five Guys? I wasn't all that impressed by Five Guys (which I don't really qualify as "fast food" like In-n-Out).
I'd like to know about smashburger too... because of all the five guys raves here I went with my family and it was not that great.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM

711 posts, read 1,585,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Underrated and underappreciated, but slightly overpriced. A perfect example of local Houston flavor -- the kind of stuff Southern California burger chain legends are made of.
When I visited SoCal, burger joints like the Apple Pan were indeed as good as advertised. I don't know if there's anything as good in Houston. Sadly, I never got a chance to try Pie'n'Burger, Cassell's, or the Pantry Cafe.

Izzy's Deli in Santa Monica had a fabulous Pastrami sandwich, way better than Kenny & Ziggy's. Canter's Deli in LA was darn tasty too.

If you're ever on the road from LA to Las Vegas, you must stop at The Mad Greek in Baker and get the strawberry milkshake.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM

711 posts, read 1,585,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I haven't had Carl's Jr. in forever. Is In N Out coming to Houston?
Probably, but will be years before they do.

I hope Carls' Jr hasn't degenerated to Hardee's level. Does the new Carl's have a Green Burrito inside?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

8,950 posts, read 14,085,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

YES! Because of this forum, I have tried both within the last two months. To me, Smash Burger is better. A "small" fries at Five Guys is ridiculous. I felt like it was an order for 5 people. Although the seasoning on the cajun fries is a little heavy, they are good - but the those fries at Smash Burger are seasoned with olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Yummmmmm. The burger is smaller at Smash Burger - but denser.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,906,987 times
i had fast food french fries for lunch... just because

new year's resolution will begin next week

Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,394,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPEP09 View Post
I'd like to know about smashburger too... because of all the five guys raves here I went with my family and it was not that great.
Incredibly greasy. Very disgusting burger.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
YES! Because of this forum, I have tried both within the last two months. To me, Smash Burger is better. A "small" fries at Five Guys is ridiculous. I felt like it was an order for 5 people. Although the seasoning on the cajun fries is a little heavy, they are good - but the those fries at Smash Burger are seasoned with olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Yummmmmm. The burger is smaller at Smash Burger - but denser.
Mmmm...seasoned with olive oil, rosemary, garlic. Now you're talkin'! Denser is better (unless you're talking about people).

My fries were greasy & burnt at Five Guys and then I felt the burger got lost in all the bread - I couldn't even taste the burger.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,648,442 times
There were Carl's Jr where I used to live and I refuse to eat there (and here) because I think they're commercials are disgusting and in bad taste.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
There were Carl's Jr where I used to live and I refuse to eat there (and here) because I think they're commercials are disgusting and in bad taste.
Those were in poor taste. Paris Hilton all over the black car and the blonde in the unbuttoned white shirt dripping ketchup all over herself while men drooled in the background. Memorable to some, I guess, but didn't make anyone I know want to run out to Carl's for a burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston