U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,029,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
This reminds me of something that drives me crazy. You pull into a parking lot with very limited parking space (close or far from the store or business, doesn't matter - just need any old space) and the driver that goes to their car has to sit and put on make-up, do their hair in the mirror, make a call or two on the cell phone, re-arrange the glove compartment, pay a few bills, consult their horoscope, get liposuction, etc., etc. Anything to drag it out and create a jam.

Is it a territorial thing? I have the space and you don't? If I was Mistress of the Universe, I would zap them.
OMG. Ditto to all that. I think it's rude & self-absorbed behavior when they know people are waiting for a spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM

12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
To be honest, MCM has better merch in their anchor stores than the same ones in The Woodlands Mall.

South Coast Plaza in OC is definitely more upscale than anything we have in Houston. Short Hills Mall in NJ is another one of those upscale malls - think of it as a smaller version of SCP.
I just can't see how MCM is more upscla than The Woodlands........Oh Lord, here the fire comes.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM

8,950 posts, read 14,083,351 times
Quote:
OMG. Ditto to all that. I think it's rude & self-absorbed behavior when they know people are waiting for a spot.
Self-absorbed is right. When I see someone waiting when I walk up to my car, I try to be considerate about that. It takes mere seconds to fasten the seatbelt and leave. As to putting on mascara, home is a good place to do that. I never got the "territorial" thing. Maybe it helps with the insecurity issues in their lives.

Ah, well, it takes all kinds to fill the freeways - and evidently the parking spaces.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I just can't see how MCM is more upscla than The Woodlands........Oh Lord, here the fire comes.
I guess you'd have to go to each one to see. I don't think either mall is "upscale" (compared to Short Hills or South Coast Plaza) but as I said the anchor stores in MCM carry higher-end products/labels than the one in The Woodlands.

I had *heard* all about the mall in The Woodlands when we first moved there and was expecting something like the 2 I mentioned above but it's just a regular mall that happens to be located in what is considered an upscale community. It has the basics of any suburban mall but nothing to brag about. For that matter, FCM isn't any better. Again - just a regular mall in a "nice" area.

I think the definition of "upscale" is subjective based on what someone is used to. IMO, a mall isn't upscale without higher-end anchor stores like Nordstrom or NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Self-absorbed is right. When I see someone waiting when I walk up to my car, I try to be considerate about that. It takes mere seconds to fasten the seatbelt and leave. As to putting on mascara, home is a good place to do that. I never got the "territorial" thing. Maybe it helps with the insecurity issues in their lives.

Ah, well, it takes all kinds to fill the freeways - and evidently the parking spaces.
Right on, CJ. If I had the rep points to give you, that would be a +10.

Regarding mascara, why would one have to apply mascara when leaving the mall anyway?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I guess you'd have to go to each one to see. I don't think either mall is "upscale" (compared to Short Hills or South Coast Plaza).

I had *heard* all about the mall in The Woodlands and was expecting something like the 2 I mentioned above but it's just a regular mall that happens to be located in what is considered an upscale community.

I think the definition of "upscale" is subjective based on what someone is used to. IMO, a mall isn't upscale without higher-end anchor stores like Nordstrom or NM.

Regarding mascara, why would one have to apply mascara when leaving the mall anyway?
I'm so surprised that The Woodlands Mall don't have either one of those department stores.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
I'm so surprised that The Woodlands Mall don't have either one of those department stores.
MCM is located near some of the richest hoods in the country; people in The Woodlands got money, but they ain't ballin like you think lol

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

So, MCM would probably be a candidate in case Bloomingdale's decided to enter Houston's market, for example?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
LOL - so was I!

I was really shocked that Houston only has 1 Nordstrom especially coming from San Diego (blah-blah-blah...I know, I know) where there are 4 Nordstrom stores.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,471,609 times
Quote:
I guess you'd have to go to each one to see. I don't think either mall is "upscale" (compared to Short Hills or South Coast Plaza).

I had *heard* all about the mall in The Woodlands and was expecting something like the 2 I mentioned above but it's just a regular mall that happens to be located in what is considered an upscale community.

Agree on the definition of "upscale"---you have to have more "up" and less "down". Having a Target inside the mall doesn't do much for the "upscale" image (even though I prefer MCM to all others).

As for getting in, getting what I want, and getting out, shockingly, I find the Galleria the easiest. Maybe it's because when I was much, much younger I went there a lot feeling "trendy". Now I just want to get in, buy what I'm there to buy, and leave. Careful selection of parking option allows you to do that.

I, too, am amazed (and it's a lot more women than men, though men are sometimes guilty) at the people (women) who get in the car. Sit down. Fish around in purse. Put on mascara. Check voicemail. as CJ points out, "pay a few bills". Considers whether to go ahead and use fingernail polish just purchased. Now has to hunt for keys. Finds keys. Starts car. Sits there a minute until the radio is on correct station, or (worse, if she's younger) has to fiddle with music delivery device to select appropriate tunes. FINALLY puts car in reverse and s l o w l y backs out, almost hitting Betty White lookalike who is trudging into the mall....

@a&m Bulldawg: I try to avoid all malls like the plague. Since the advent of online shopping, I do 90% of mine online. The only times I don't are when tactile sensation is required. Men's ties, you cannot buy securely online. It may look great in the picture, but be a P.O.S. You have to visually inspect, and feel it to determine if it's right or not. Most clothes (unless you're sure, like I buy Arizona jeans from JCP because they fit; now that I have the size and style down, I buy online, but if I were going to change, I'd have to go select in person.

Hanging out at the mall, stopping in at every store to see what's there---I quit that decades ago.

I don't even like going to Barnes and Noble any more; I buy online. Old, individual proprietor bookstores, when I have a rainy Saturday afternoon--sure.

It's not always cheaper online, but the ease of operation and hassle-free ordering makes it much more convenient. My time is worth something.

Two more of your questions/discussions:

Sharpstown and Greenspoint are dead malls.

Traffic around Memorial City, the Galleria, Woodlands, First Colony is virtually gridlocked.

You could not pay me enough to go to Katy Mills right now. Not enough cash in the world.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Agree on the definition of "upscale"---you have to have more "up" and less "down". Having a Target inside the mall doesn't do much for the "upscale" image (even though I prefer MCM to all others).

As for getting in, getting what I want, and getting out, shockingly, I find the Galleria the easiest. Maybe it's because when I was much, much younger I went there a lot feeling "trendy". Now I just want to get in, buy what I'm there to buy, and leave. Careful selection of parking option allows you to do that.

I, too, am amazed (and it's a lot more women than men, though men are sometimes guilty) at the people (women) who get in the car. Sit down. Fish around in purse. Put on mascara. Check voicemail. as CJ points out, "pay a few bills". Considers whether to go ahead and use fingernail polish just purchased. Now has to hunt for keys. Finds keys. Starts car. Sits there a minute until the radio is on correct station, or (worse, if she's younger) has to fiddle with music delivery device to select appropriate tunes. FINALLY puts car in reverse and s l o w l y backs out, almost hitting Betty White lookalike who is trudging into the mall....

@a&m Bulldawg: I try to avoid all malls like the plague. Since the advent of online shopping, I do 90% of mine online. The only times I don't are when tactile sensation is required. Men's ties, you cannot buy securely online. It may look great in the picture, but be a P.O.S. You have to visually inspect, and feel it to determine if it's right or not. Most clothes (unless you're sure, like I buy Arizona jeans from JCP because they fit; now that I have the size and style down, I buy online, but if I were going to change, I'd have to go select in person.

Hanging out at the mall, stopping in at every store to see what's there---I quit that decades ago.

I don't even like going to Barnes and Noble any more; I buy online. Old, individual proprietor bookstores, when I have a rainy Saturday afternoon--sure.

It's not always cheaper online, but the ease of operation and hassle-free ordering makes it much more convenient. My time is worth something.

Two more of your questions/discussions:

Sharpstown and Greenspoint are dead malls.

Traffic around Memorial City, the Galleria, Woodlands, First Colony is virtually gridlocked.

You could not pay me enough to go to Katy Mills right now. Not enough cash in the world.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston