U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Nobody said Houston had the most desirable weather in the nation. Just that yesterday was pretty nice for December. Today is stretching it a bit.

Not sure I understand the question of what happened to dreaming of a white Christmas. Not everyone in the US (or the world for that matter) even knows what a white Christmas is about. Not everyone cares, either. Just enjoy the holidays and be merry and all that good stuff! And I will continue to enjoy walking in a tee-shirt in late December. Makes Christmas shopping easier when I don't have to wear some big bulky coat. Or shovel snow. Appreciate the small things and you will be happier! Merry Christmas
I'm the number one advocate for appreciating the small things, but i'm not willing to compromise when it comes to the holidays lol. this weather SUCKS, but i thank God for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Do not worry, no need to fret, it is going to cool down some by Christmas. By the way. I love Houston and it's weather. Although I do remember it being colder this time of year when I grew up in the 1970's-1980's.
Yes it cools day Christmas, but only to heat up again in a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Well you are in the minority here. But nevertheless, welcome to Texas, and I hope you have a great Christmas. Hope we get some more cold weather for ya!
Yes seems most people like warm hot weather, not me. I prefer cold weather, especially in Dec, and I would trade places with anyone up north. At least it cools off a little for Christmas day. Oh and by the way, I'm a native Texan.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 PM

177 posts, read 365,323 times
Some people are truly yapping when they have nice things in their hands. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Those that dream about having the weather way up north or upper midwest, throw them in MN, three snow storms within two weeks, and see what happen. They will run like no tomorrow.

If you want snow, white Christmas, go to CO and enjoy it for a week or two then come back to your nice weather. I would rather have that than living in it for 6 stretching months. It gets depressing at times. Trust me. You don't know it until you're living in it with it. Vitamin D, therapy light box, and antidepressant are the norms up here. It's the way of life.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
Some people are truly yapping when they have nice things in their hands. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Those that dream about having the weather way up north or upper midwest, throw them in MN, three snow storms within two weeks, and see what happen. They will run like no tomorrow.

If you want snow, white Christmas, go to CO and enjoy it for a week or two then come back to your nice weather. I would rather have that than living in it for 6 stretching months. It gets depressing at times. Trust me. You don't know it until you're living in it with it. Vitamin D, therapy light box, and antidepressant are the norms up here. It's the way of life.
can't speak for others, but i have no interest in experiencing an upper midwest winter. i'm not stupid. i know that the frigid temps and endless snow would start to become more of a burden than the heat ever could. i prefer the winters that cities like atlanta, d.c., knoxville, asheville, or even dallas experiences. where you can actually expect it to get chilly and stay that way for a while; where you don't have to run the a/c and swat away flies in the middle of december.

true, nobody's forcing me to stay where i am, but i'll keep complaining until i'm able to leave

Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,936,670 times
I had business in downtown yesterday evening that had a break between 6 and 8 PM. I spent it sitting on a park bench after getting a snack of Greek food from the Nikko's carryout in the park and washing it down with a Mickey's wide mouth malt liquor 40. . Even after the sun went down it was still in the 70's. I was sitting in my shortsleeved t-shirt without a sweater or jacket watching cute girls walking their dogs in shorts and men smoking cigars. No way could I do that in the Cleveland area that I grew up in 4 days before Christmas! I still love Ohio but I'd never trade it back for Houston.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I had business in downtown yesterday evening that had a break between 6 and 8 PM. I spent it sitting on a park bench after getting a snack of Greek food from the Nikko's carryout in the park and washing it down with a Mickey's wide mouth malt liquor 40. . Even after the sun went down it was still in the 70's. I was sitting in my shortsleeved t-shirt without a sweater or jacket watching cute girls walking their dogs in shorts and men smoking cigars. No way could I do that in the Cleveland area that I grew up in 4 days before Christmas! I still love Ohio but I'd never trade it back for Houston.
but why would anyone want to do that during christmas when they have the whole rest of the year to do that? during spring and summer...

i'll just never understand it. for people to have no desire to just experience a picturesque winter.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 AM

4,248 posts, read 10,231,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but why would anyone want to do that during christmas when they have the whole rest of the year to do that? during spring and summer...

i'll just never understand it. for people to have no desire to just experience a picturesque winter.
Nothing wrong with it really. Not everyone wants cold weather even during Christmas. I would love for the temp to be upper 70's lower 80's with 30% humidity year round even during Christmas.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 PM

177 posts, read 365,323 times
Quote:
can't speak for others, but i have no interest in experiencing an upper midwest winter. i'm not stupid. i know that the frigid temps and endless snow would start to become more of a burden than the heat ever could. i prefer the winters that cities like atlanta, d.c., knoxville, asheville, or even dallas experiences. where you can actually expect it to get chilly and stay that way for a while; where you don't have to run the a/c and swat away flies in the middle of december.

true, nobody's forcing me to stay where i am, but i'll keep complaining until i'm able to leave
I am not sure your rationale is good though. IMO if one likes cold weather, frigid temps would be ordeal over mild winter temps in areas like you have mentioned. My reasoning is when you have frigid temps, the air you breathe and feel is so clean. At frigid temps, bugs would not able to survive which makes it more desirable.

Places like atlanta, knoxville, dallas, where temps could go low but not frigid, perfect temps for mold and bacteria to grow. Talking about asthma, allergies and upper respiratory problems.

Not to mention places where snow falls overnight or morning then melts in the afternoon. Not my cup of tea either. Very messy and dirty all the time.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
I am not sure your rationale is good though. IMO if one likes cold weather, frigid temps would be ordeal over mild winter temps in areas like you have mentioned. My reasoning is when you have frigid temps, the air you breathe and feel is so clean. At frigid temps, bugs would not able to survive which makes it more desirable.

Places like atlanta, knoxville, dallas, where temps could go low but not frigid, perfect temps for mold and bacteria to grow. Talking about asthma, allergies and upper respiratory problems.

Not to mention places where snow falls overnight or morning then melts in the afternoon. Not my cup of tea either. Very messy and dirty all the time.
um, huh? i'm just saying that i like those places' winters. they aren't cold cold, but just cool enough for me. at the same time, it's not out of the ordinary for these cities to have a few days with highs below freezing, compared to the upper midwest where temps can stay below freezing for quite some time

Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 AM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
um, huh? i'm just saying that i like those places' winters. they aren't cold cold, but just cool enough for me. at the same time, it's not out of the ordinary for these cities to have a few days with highs below freezing, compared to the upper midwest where temps can stay below freezing for quite some time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston