U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,589,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesx7d7 View Post
So after 20+ years of know that I remotely have a brother out there somewhere, I finally met him and his family for the first time about a month ago!! I am so happy that I can't even stand it.

Now he wants me to move from Phoenix to Houston. I've visited there once and thought it was ok but I need some help in deciding this monumental decision...

I'm 31, no family, BSN with 3+ years in nursing, pull in about 50-55K/yr. I live very modestly and am looking for a young vibrant city with young professionals to hang with. Any thoughts??? Was looking towards "Pasedena" or even downtown Houston; so I can be by all the cool medical buildings, hehehe!!

Help me out peeps! What do you think? Im super excited and yet nervous at the same time
Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM

8,159 posts, read 26,451,047 times
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up you guys! He lives right near the "Westpark Tollway" and the "Sam Houston Tollway" So I guess that puts him in the "Mission Bend" area???
Westpark/8 is Westchase, but Mission bend is down Westpark a little more. Pretty much every developed suburb has their own medical complex, which would open up more possibilities for work. Sugar Land isn't too far from Mission Bend either. Medical Center + Midtown sounds pretty ideal though.

Humidity is pretty bad, as in the heat index can stay at 105+ on most days for a couple of months. I've never experienced Phoenix but I've heard it's worse over there.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

543 posts, read 1,171,249 times
Congrats and good luck.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,220,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Westpark/8 is Westchase, but Mission bend is down Westpark a little more. Pretty much every developed suburb has their own medical complex, which would open up more possibilities for work. Sugar Land isn't too far from Mission Bend either. Medical Center + Midtown sounds pretty ideal though.

Humidity is pretty bad, as in the heat index can stay at 105+ on most days for a couple of months. I've never experienced Phoenix but I've heard it's worse over there.

That is right. The Westside Hospital is on Richmond Avenue near Dairy Ashford Road. You should not have any problem finding employment in the medical field in Houston seeing as all we have that little thing called the Texas Medical Center. Midtown does sound like a nice option for you as well as maybe The Galleria area(apartments,townhomes). Those places will defenitely keep you near the fun stuff for young single professionals such as yourself. Congratulations on locating your brother. Hopefully this is a beautiful start to great new relationships. It would be pretty cool if you have nieces and nephews from him already. Anyway, congratulations and good luck!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM

53 posts, read 152,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Congratulations on locating your brother. Hopefully this is a beautiful start to great new relationships. It would be pretty cool if you have nieces and nephews from him already. Anyway, congratulations and good luck!!!
Thank you very much! He actually does have 3 children; which I fell in love with instantly. I spoiled them rotten this Chirstmas, hehehe!!!

So I've looking in to some apartments/studios that go for about 600-800 and I found some really decent ones in the Midtown area. On thing that seems too good to be true is the income to cost of living ratio. It seems that all the US News and Yahoo "Best Cities" list has it down. I can't believe that this city (as massive as it is...) has such a great quality of life and is cheap to livin also. Double whammy!!!

So what am I missing...what are the downsides to living inside "the loop" as they say??? Note: that I will be bringing a car with me. I'm really pushing for the end of April (beginning of May) I can't wait I am soooooo ready to get out of this Phoenix heat its not even funny!

Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,220,656 times
Quote:
Thank you very much! He actually does have 3 children; which I fell in love with instantly. I spoiled them rotten this Chirstmas, hehehe!!!

So I've looking in to some apartments/studios that go for about 600-800 and I found some really decent ones in the Midtown area. On thing that seems too good to be true is the income to cost of living ratio. It seems that all the US News and Yahoo "Best Cities" list has it down. I can't believe that this city (as massive as it is...) has such a great quality of life and is cheap to livin also. Double whammy!!!

So what am I missing...what are the downsides to living inside "the loop" as they say??? Note: that I will be bringing a car with me. I'm really pushing for the end of April (beginning of May) I can't wait I am soooooo ready to get out of this Phoenix heat its not even funny!

Julesx7d7, it sounds like your are not going to be missing anything!! This situation sounds like a dream come true from a movie. There are no downsides for you. Everything here will be bursting with potential for you. The Phoenix heat? You have heard of the Houston heat in the summers correct? That is what most newcomers are most uncomfortable with in the beginning. But do not worry, because you get used to it and learn to love it. We here in Houston congratulate you and welcome you to your new home city. We look forward to seeing you in April or May. And so does your nieces and nephews!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or