Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 37,872 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving with our 1 year-old son to Houston from Boston. One of the neighborhoods that keeps coming up in searches is Westbury, near Meyerland. Does anyone have information on Westbury? It seems more affordable than Meyerland but still centrally located, with some nice quiet side streets. Please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,774,862 times
Do you plan to do private schools? Otherwise, you have to be careful about school zoning in that area.

You can read about local schools at GreatSchools.net

Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,797,327 times
Westbury is a huge subdivision of 50's era ranch style homes. Some sections are more desirable than others and generally there will be price disparities that reflect that. Parkwest is basically a section of Westbury also, but don't tell the people in Parkwest that, they definitely consider themselves a cut above the balance of the subdivision even though it is all basically intertwined. There are separate civic associations for the two though.

Westbury is considerably cheaper than the areas to the north like Maplewood or Meyerland, or most of the areas to the east like Willow Meadows and Willowbend. Meyerland definitely has superior housing stock to Westbury and some areas do have a little better "curb appeal" which may account for some of the value variance. Another variance is the high school. With the exception of one very tiny sliver of Westbury that is zoned to Bellaire High, most of it is zoned to Westbury High School which has a bad reputation. Bellaire High has one of the best reputations. Most of the higher priced areas to the north (like Meyerland) are zoned to Bellaire.

Westbury used to have a very charming little European style shopping center called Westbury Square. It had cobblestone walks with a center pavilion with a fountain. It was filled with quaint shops and small apartments above them. They frequently had art shows in the fountain/square area. The 80's oil bust drove it way downhill and finally the majority of it was torn down for a tacky Home Depot. Only a small dilapidated section remains. Between that and the decline of the schools in the 80's, Westbury really stumbled a bit and started to get a bit of a negative reputation. Nothing terrible but just not exactly a hot rock area either.

Since then, however, it has been doing quite well. It sits just outside the loop close to the med center and the Galleria area so it has attracted a lot of people priced out of the closer in (inner loop 610) neighborhoods. It has become very popular with the Gay audience, which usually bodes well for a neighborhoods revival. In addition, there are two good elementary schools that serve the area, Kolter and Parker. Some sections are served by less desirable elementary schools and the prices are reflective of that. House "flippers" have been working the area quite a bit, so there are usually a lot of move in ready, totally redone houses available. Some flippers do a lot better job than others. Due to the price disparity between it and the areas to the immediate north and east, the close in proximity, the availability of some good elementary school options, and more homes being fixed up every year, things are definitely on the upswing there.

Westbury High is still a definite down side. Also, as I said earlier some areas are pricier than others. Certainly the areas zoned to Parker or Kolter vs. Anderson elementary will be more. Where the "dividing lines" are between the better sections will all depend upon who you talk to. The least desirable section is probably Westbury South. South of W. Airport Blvd. Section 4 to the immediate north would be a close second. Westbury sections 1 & 2 closer to Post Oak tend to be pricier as do the sections of Parkwest north of Bellfort. Some people think north of Bellfort is nicer, especially west of Chimney Rock. I think that line has been pushed south to about Cartegena or Ludington. Personally I think the character of the neighborhood tends to not be as good from about there south. That is purely speculative and up for debate I suppose. Homes facing main streets like Hillcroft, Bellfort, Willowbend or Chimney Rock will be priced less.

This may be more than you wanted to know.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,652,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyhrpr View Post
My husband and I are moving with our 1 year-old son to Houston from Boston. One of the neighborhoods that keeps coming up in searches is Westbury, near Meyerland. Does anyone have information on Westbury? It seems more affordable than Meyerland but still centrally located, with some nice quiet side streets. Please let me know!
I live close to Westbury in Fondren Southwest. I do not suggest you look in my neighborhood (we're here because our religious community is here, no other reason) but Modster gave a very good breakdown. It's an unassuming but very convenient neighborhood.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM

GREAT information. Thank you all for the posts! We'll check out the area in person soon, but this gives me some really good background.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,017,195 times
Modster's info is perfect. I will add that we bought in Maplewood South, which is adjacent to Westbury. Like Westbury, you have to pay attention to school zones. Our section is zoned to Parker. Maplewood and Westbury are very similar, but Maplewood has a more active HOA, which means houses have to be well-maintained, there is a constable patrol, and we have an AWESOME private swimming pool. So check it out.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Great - I hadn't come across Maplewood, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM

7,535 posts, read 11,512,406 times
Westbury might be the best neighborhood for the money you can get a 1800 to 2500 sqft remodeled home for about $250k. I love this area I live close this area is close to everything I will never leave. If you buy a house try to get a home that is zoned to Bellaire HS Westbury HS is geto. Stay away from Westbury south it is kinda geto with some rundown homes

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,797,327 times
I hope you are using har.com as your search tool. Westbury, Parkwest, Maplewood, Marilyn Estates, Willowbend, Willow Meadows, Willowbrook, Post Oak Manor, Meyerland, all nice areas. If good public schools are important, you will need to check each individual house/area out to see which ones they are zoned to.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,815 times
If you go South on Hillcroft, don't go any further than Luddington. I live on Cartagena and love it, but the block to my south is definitly different as far asd the upkeep of the houses and the overall "clientele".

That said, I love it. It's quiet, most of the people are older retirees, and everyone looks out for each other. I don't worry about the schools because my wife is a teacher and my daughter will go where she goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston