Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The Houston rap scene has gone downhill but it's not terrible.

In the south, Atlanta is hands down has the best hip hop scene.
That wasnt what I was trying to get at. Im just saying rap and hip-hop are nowhere near as popular as they once were. For rap, Houston is pretty good. Dallas rap is terrible, Houston rap has some bright spots.

Ever since the West Coast rap scene died, my interest in rap died with it. Either way, its simply not as popular overall anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,589,884 times
The Rap-A-Lot days were some of the best ever. Those songs never got old to me.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times
What is up lately with all the lame threads people are just having a bad life or something. They are just trying to get any reply they can get from a thread that is just stupid.

This is not 1945 to 1965 Houston is the 5th largest city in the country

Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
What is up lately with all the lame threads people are just having a bad life or something. They are just trying to get any reply they can get from a thread that is just stupid.

This is not 1945 to 1965 Houston is the 5th largest city in the country
Re-read the topic. That's not what he was talking about. It was focusing on music.

Atlanta in the past couple years has stepped it's game up lyrically. In the middle of the decade, other than TI and a couple others. Atlanta was the home of some of the most garbage known to the game ever. But they have improved. Like has Houston. I think more people relate to Atlanta's style than Houston's style. Atlanta's hip hop is easily played in the club (where Houston lacks), cars, parties, w/e.

Quote:
can direct you to when Houston music scene was really good and even some classic records. Artist and groups like Geto Boys/ Rap-A-Lot back in the 80s and early 90s. SPC back in the early 90s. Screwed up Click and all the solo artist that dropped albums. Swisha House. Boss Hogg Outlaws. Devin the Dude. Scarface. Chamillionaire(older Cham). UGK(from PAT but there just as much Houston based artist).Z-Ro. I mean really good music.
Yeah but none of them have a prayer to blow up these days. They all made great music during the 90s and early 00s. But as of now, what artists from Houston will cause the scene to be more popular than it actually is. Chamillionaire will most likely never have major mainstream success again. Devin either. Face doesn't need it. Bun B is hanging in there. But what else? I think that's what A&M was focusing on. Personally, I think Hi-Stakez and Rob Jay is the one that could bring some attention back to Houston again. I also liked what I hear from Marcus Manchild.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
bun b is probably the most respected man in southern rap, right now. as long as the southern movement is at the forefront, he'll always have a job and plenty of connections

Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
No way, the rap scene in Atlanta is hands down the best in the south.
So, you like that corny stuff from Roscoe Dash, Travis Porter, Soulja Boy, etc. Wocka is ok, but he isn't the best. I places like Miami are the best in the South.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks, Spade for having my back! The Rap-A-Lot stuff was just what was jumping when I was in high school from 1987-1991 and little bit after that. I am sorry if I didn't bring up the hottest hits from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr(1945-1965). I mean, I guess I was just posting to get a response. I didn't get in to screwed music because I couldn't understand it, and I thought it sounded like crap. Sorry. I do not follow music much anymore at all. I am happy with the cd's and downloads of my younger days. As far as Houston's nightlife or club scene, I wouldn't know. I have been married forever now and do not have the need anymorefor hanging out in that way. I dedicate my time to my children and my wife. That is all the nightlife I need. Now, yall checkout www.yahoo.com. There is another article there from posted yesterday not putting Houston in good favour for the job market.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Sorry, guys. I also confused this thread with the Houston Ranked #2 for Young Adults Thread. I know A&M spawned this thread(the Blow-up Thread) from the #2 thread, as they are both similar to an extent. Sorry about that and at least I am honest.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times
From 94 to 02 the rap music scene was pretty big here

Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times
I like how some of these artisits have different music than most Southern rappers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston