U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
No way, the rap scene in Atlanta is hands down the best in the south.

The film scene there is killer too as its only rival is Austin in terms of film in the south.
I strongly disagree. If your speaking on popularity; I'd agree. However, if it you are basing it on substance; I don't agree. Houston's rap scene is well respected and many rappers have paid tribute too it. J Cole, Lupe Fiasco, Drake, Lil Wayne, Outkast, Jayz and many more. Atlanta doesn't get much love from true hip hop heads.

The film scene is great there though; it's great to see the city is getting more films outside of Tyler Perry movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
From 94 to 02 the rap music scene was pretty big here

I did say for a little bit after I got out of high school in 1991. As with all things, the music changed alot over time. I just did not embrace the change and chose to stick with what was more appealing to me. I quit adapting in the mid to late 1990's around 1998 or so. That is just me and what I had chosen to do. That is not to say that the music today is not any good though. I just wouldn't know because I choose not to listen to it.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM

12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
I wonder H-town is going get some film industry...........................

Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I strongly disagree. If your speaking on popularity; I'd agree. However, if it you are basing it on substance; I don't agree. Houston's rap scene is well respected and many rappers have paid tribute too it. J Cole, Lupe Fiasco, Drake, Lil Wayne, Outkast, Jayz and many more. Atlanta doesn't get much love from true hip hop heads.

Eh. I disagree with this. Those same artists have also paid tributes to Atlanta's scene. Outkast is obvious.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM

I forgot about Outkast. I forget that they are from Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Eh. I disagree with this. Those same artists have also paid tributes to Atlanta's scene. Outkast is obvious.
Not to the extent of Houston. Usualy when people speak about Atlanta's hip hop scene; they say "Atlanta has a thriving hip hop scene". Yeah they have Outkast, but Houston has more legends than Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Not to the extent of Houston. Usualy when people speak about Atlanta's hip hop scene; they say "Atlanta has a thriving hip hop scene". Yeah they have Outkast, but Houston has more legends than Atlanta.
The only legends I know of Houston is Scarface and maybe UGK if you want to count them for the city. Outkast=Scarface as far as status in history of hip hop. Not to mention you have several artists that are pretty decent from both cities though I would agree that Atlanta clearly has more garbage than Houston. But many artists have paid tributes to Atlanta and the culture it has brought within the last 20 years. Especially in the 90s.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM

I agree with Spade.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Yeah but none of them have a prayer to blow up these days. They all made great music during the 90s and early 00s. But as of now, what artists from Houston will cause the scene to be more popular than it actually is. Chamillionaire will most likely never have major mainstream success again. Devin either. Face doesn't need it. Bun B is hanging in there. But what else? I think that's what A&M was focusing on. Personally, I think Hi-Stakez and Rob Jay is the one that could bring some attention back to Houston again. I also liked what I hear from Marcus Manchild.
Man I aint talking about these artist having a chance to blow. I'm just stating there music was 10 times better then this garbage out now. Face it Houston new generation of rappers don't have a huge or even medium following. I'm down here in Houston. I keep my ear tuned into in the local hip-hop scene. Plus I know artist in Houston. people in Houston don't support these average to garbage rappers. Hi-Stakez and Rob Jay are coo. There not the greatest but they have potential. However they have no fanbase whatsoever. Marcus Manchild that brotha there just suck he no good. You can find a 100 rappers in the city rapping about the same stuff. None of it has substance and the general public don't catch on to that unless your on 97.9 or hitting up the streets and clubs which most are not doing.

Honestly it's only 2 ppl right now I see making slight buzz coming out of Houston and that's Killa Kyleon and J-Dawg. Both are not new artist but they get treated like new artist.

@Jluke...how are those not good examples. That dull Houston rap scene is what blew TEXAS up period. The dull rap scene had and still has Texas on lock. You might think it's dull but that music had a cult following that went way past Houston and Texas.

91-05 Houston rap scene>>>>>06-10 Houston rap scene

Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM

You know what, I kind of feeling Slim Thugg's new track with B.O.B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston