U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM

8,756 posts, read 7,825,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Houston rap already blew up. Rap was at its peak in popularity the mid part of last decade and now seems its on its way down. People who like it will still listen to it, but I cant see another city will achieve fame the way Atlanta did because rap simply isnt as popular anymore in the mainstream. Now, electronic dance beats seem to be the masses musical drug of choice.
I don't agree here. I see a lot of rap fans still today. It's still one of the, if not the most popular form of music in America today (hip-hop/rap). Just look at past album sales this year even for rap artists. Pretty solid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM

1,128 posts, read 937,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I don't agree here. I see a lot of rap fans still today. It's still one of the, if not the most popular form of music in America today (hip-hop/rap). Just look at past album sales this year even for rap artists. Pretty solid.
Rap sales have went downhill...you have rare cases...but if you compare sales in the past to sales now. It's horrible

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

13,087 posts, read 13,577,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man I aint talking about these artist having a chance to blow. I'm just stating there music was 10 times better then this garbage out now. Face it Houston new generation of rappers don't have a huge or even medium following. I'm down here in Houston. I keep my ear tuned into in the local hip-hop scene. Plus I know artist in Houston. people in Houston don't support these average to garbage rappers. Hi-Stakez and Rob Jay are coo. There not the greatest but they have potential. However they have no fanbase whatsoever. Marcus Manchild that brotha there just suck he no good. You can find a 100 rappers in the city rapping about the same stuff. None of it has substance and the general public don't catch on to that unless your on 97.9 or hitting up the streets and clubs which most are not doing.

Honestly it's only 2 ppl right now I see making slight buzz coming out of Houston and that's Killa Kyleon and J-Dawg. Both are not new artist but they get treated like new artist.

@Jluke...how are those not good examples. That dull Houston rap scene is what blew TEXAS up period. The dull rap scene had and still has Texas on lock. You might think it's dull but that music had a cult following that went way past Houston and Texas.

91-05 Houston rap scene>>>>>06-10 Houston rap scene
Here's the part that you missed from my comment. That 91-05 scene...is done. It most likely will never happen again for Houston. They have no chance to blow again. So for current wise, it's best not to name those old rappers from SUC, Swisha House, and the likes because they will not taste national success ever again which is what A&M was hinting to. And it's sad that people J-Dawg gets popularity but Hi-Stakez doesn't because J-Dawg is terrible. So could Houston blow? Yes. But it won't be anyone from Swisha House, the old SUC, or whoever came out from 91-05. Their time is done.

Oh and let me add that Killa Kyleon has a decent following in the country. Not many know who J-Dawg is, though.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,749,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
5 years ago, if you turned on a top 40 station in any major city, it was all hip-hop. Now if you turn on a top 40 station, its all electronic dance pop. Even the older hip-hop artist have sold out to it. Look at Ludacris.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:29 PM

15,832 posts, read 18,414,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man I aint talking about these artist having a chance to blow. I'm just stating there music was 10 times better then this garbage out now. Face it Houston new generation of rappers don't have a huge or even medium following. I'm down here in Houston. I keep my ear tuned into in the local hip-hop scene. Plus I know artist in Houston. people in Houston don't support these average to garbage rappers. Hi-Stakez and Rob Jay are coo. There not the greatest but they have potential. However they have no fanbase whatsoever. Marcus Manchild that brotha there just suck he no good. You can find a 100 rappers in the city rapping about the same stuff. None of it has substance and the general public don't catch on to that unless your on 97.9 or hitting up the streets and clubs which most are not doing.

Honestly it's only 2 ppl right now I see making slight buzz coming out of Houston and that's Killa Kyleon and J-Dawg. Both are not new artist but they get treated like new artist.

@Jluke...how are those not good examples. That dull Houston rap scene is what blew TEXAS up period. The dull rap scene had and still has Texas on lock. You might think it's dull but that music had a cult following that went way past Houston and Texas.

91-05 Houston rap scene>>>>>06-10 Houston rap scene
Thats nice, but that's in the past and it won't happen again if Houston doesn't learn to diversify it's mainstream hip hop scene.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

3,427 posts, read 2,951,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I wonder H-town is going get some film industry...........................
Never.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM

You will come closer to contact with the hip hop industry giants quicker in Atlanta than Houston. If I wanted to make excellent connections in hip hop, RIGHT NOW, I would choose Atlant.

For starting out and getting established, I would choose Houston.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

13,087 posts, read 13,577,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
5 years ago, if you turned on a top 40 station in any major city, it was all hip-hop. Now if you turn on a top 40 station, its all electronic dance pop. Even the older hip-hop artist have sold out to it. Look at Ludacris.
I have to agree and Erykah Badu has pointed this out. Not necessarily about hip hop. But R&B as well. But it's turning into techno and electronic pop music on stations that never would play that type of music before. Look at Usher. OMG is without a doubt, one of the worse songs so far this millennium. There isn't nothing R&B about it. But yet it's played on stations that would not dream of playing techno or pop music.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM

To those saying that rap is dying...not quite.

The QUALITY of rap has went down but the popularity of it is still high. It is much more global than it's ever been.

Just because something is trash does not mean people won't buy it.

If you want quality hip hop, listen to hip hop from the 80s and 90s or listen to underground hip hop.

Hip Hop was at least DECENT until about 2003.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,681,588 times
Why do some of you guys have no insight or faith? I've noticed that alot of you guys say NEVER. I hate that word. The same NEVERS that people said yester year are now REALITIES this year and currently. People back during Houston's economic crisis probably said "Houston would NEVER grow or would NEVER be as prosperous as it was before the downturn." But, to let those people know, Houston is growing faster than widlfires and has opportunities on top of opportunities compared to most of the nation. We need to stop saying NEVER based on current conditions or personal opinions, but let the future have its way and appreciate and accept what it has in store.

I had to get that off my chest! Thanks, Black Jack22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston