U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,862,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Why do some of you guys have no insight or faith? I've noticed that alot of you guys say NEVER. I hate that word. The same NEVERS that people said yester year are now REALITIES this year and currently. People back during Houston's economic crisis probably said "Houston would NEVER grow or would NEVER be as prosperous as it was before the downturn." But, to let those people know, Houston is growing faster than widlfires and has opportunities on top of opportunities compared to most of the nation. We need to stop saying NEVER based on current conditions or personal opinions, but let the future have its way and appreciate and accept what it has in store.

I had to get that off my chest! Thanks, Black Jack22
I sure do not mean for anyone to get upset at my comments.

Because I am pretty accurate about Houston's film scene which I have been involved in for about a year.

Houston's film scene is a good place to get some initial training and get some roles under your belt but you can't make any decent money here in film.

Houston does not support film like Austin, Atlanta, LA or NYC does. The film scene is very underground here.

I would not wait around for Houston to get a quality film scene.

Remember when they said that the Astrodome would turn into the world's largest soundstage for film???

Well I seriously doubt if that is going to happen. If it were to happen, Houston COULD have the top film scene in the country.

The Astrodome is going to sit and rot or it will be turned into something else that does not have anything to do with film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,800,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have to agree and Erykah Badu has pointed this out. Not necessarily about hip hop. But R&B as well. But it's turning into techno and electronic pop music on stations that never would play that type of music before. Look at Usher. OMG is without a doubt, one of the worse songs so far this millennium. There isn't nothing R&B about it. But yet it's played on stations that would not dream of playing techno or pop music.
Add in DJ got us falling love too; nothing R&B about that song either.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
I sure do not mean for anyone to get upset at my comments.

Because I am pretty accurate about Houston's film scene which I have been involved in for about a year.

Houston's film scene is a good place to get some initial training and get some roles under your belt but you can't make any decent money here in film.

Houston does not support film like Austin, Atlanta, LA or NYC does. The film scene is very underground here.

I would not wait around for Houston to get a quality film scene.

Remember when they said that the Astrodome would turn into the world's largest soundstage for film???

Well I seriously doubt if that is going to happen. If it were to happen, Houston COULD have the top film scene in the country.

The Astrodome is going to sit and rot or it will be turned into something else that does not have anything to do with film.
I didn't get offended. I just don't like when people say NEVER. So why isn't the film industry that great in H-town?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Quote:
Why do some of you guys have no insight or faith? I've noticed that alot of you guys say NEVER. I hate that word. The same NEVERS that people said yester year are now REALITIES this year and currently. People back during Houston's economic crisis probably said "Houston would NEVER grow or would NEVER be as prosperous as it was before the downturn." But, to let those people know, Houston is growing faster than widlfires and has opportunities on top of opportunities compared to most of the nation. We need to stop saying NEVER based on current conditions or personal opinions, but let the future have its way and appreciate and accept what it has in store.

I had to get that off my chest! Thanks, Black Jack22
Bro, its more of a reality check than anything. No one is putting Houston down, but to be frank, from a hip-hop standpoint Houston already blew up, and it probably wont do it again anytime soon.

Dont try and sculpt Houston into your perfect city. There is a lot to love about Houston, but love the real Houston, not the fantasy Houston.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
I didn't get offended. I just don't like when people say NEVER. So why isn't the film industry that great in H-town?
Lack of funding that Austin and other cities get for film.

The residents of Houston not truly supporting the film scene we have here.

Our city leaders who don't put the Houston film scene in the spotlight.

Lack of unification of the film industry in Houston. It's kind of spread out here.

An actor or actress can't make any true significant money here in film.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Bro, its more of a reality check than anything. No one is putting Houston down, but to be frank, from a hip-hop standpoint Houston already blew up, and it probably wont do it again anytime soon.

Dont try and sculpt Houston into your perfect city. There is a lot to love about Houston, but love the real Houston, not the fantasy Houston.
I was saying in general. Not just Houston! Please stop twisting my words.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,800,334 times
Quote:

Lack of unification of the film industry in Houston. It's kind of spread out here.

Pretty much.

Before Houston even thinks about trying to become a key player in the US film industry; it needs to support the underground film scene it already has. But I wouldn't blame the Houstonians though; Houston just has a huge issue with selling the city and its cultural offerings. You won't find out about these film festivals unless you really search for it.

Houston Cultural Map and Free Press Houston are good at providing information about these things; just not many people utilize these sources though.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:

And it would be harder for the film industry to blow up because Austin is right next door?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Pretty much.

Before Houston even thinks about trying to become a key player in the US film industry; it needs to support the underground film scene it already has.
Which is............................? I'm very interested in this.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,452,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Rap sales have went downhill...you have rare cases...but if you compare sales in the past to sales now. It's horrible
All album sales have went down thanks to the internet. I'm just saying that rap/hip-hop nowadays is just as popular as it was earlier this decade. Lil' Wayne still is the most quoted rapper among the suburbanites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston