U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 13,620 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Katy/ Fry Rd area in a few weeks and I was wondering what everyone's two cents might be on Cable providers in the area. In Tampa we have several choices but I saw a lot of "dishes" when we visited recently Houston. We will be using Tivo's which will need cable cards for access. Are there options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 06:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,489,997 times
I would only get Comcast. Its the best!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM

912 posts, read 2,257,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I would only get Comcast. Its the best!
The best at sucking a55!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 PM

95 posts, read 262,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaz76 View Post
Relocating to Katy/ Fry Rd area in a few weeks and I was wondering what everyone's two cents might be on Cable providers in the area. In Tampa we have several choices but I saw a lot of "dishes" when we visited recently Houston. We will be using Tivo's which will need cable cards for access. Are there options?
Do you know what your options will be in your new neighborhood? Most neighborhoods only have 1 or 2 options plus DirecTV and DISH.

My options in my neighborhood in Cypress are Comcast and Entouch. AT&T U-verse is also to some houses in our neighborhood but not mine.

I know you said that you will be using your Tivo, but you should seriously consider looking at the DVR that these providers offer. Most are very nice and inexpensive to use.

I switched from Comcast to DirecTV due to their superior DVR and was able to save a lot of money at the same time. I have 2 500GB "Whole-Home" DVRs which gives me more than enough space to record all of our and kids shows and watch them in any room that has an HD receiver. We have had DirecTV since September without any complaints so far.

Comcast is supposed to be officially changing their name to Xfinity in Houston in early 2011 and with that they will have their own 500GB "AnyRoom" DVR service which may be worth looking into. Their current DVRs are really bad.

U-verse has a "Total Home" DVR service that I have heard good things about. U-verse also has the extra benefit of being able to watch TV on your Android or iPhone which is very cool.

Lastly, since you already have a Tivo, another option is to ditch cable altogether. You can get an OTA antenna that will give you local HD stations that you can record with your Tivo. You could then pair that with a Roku player or something similar that will let you watch TV shows through Hulu Plus and movies through NetFlix and Amazon. Not a lot of live sports options going this route which is the main reason I am holding off doing this myself.

I had a post comparing Comcast, DirectTV, DISH, and En-Touch (http://cyfairrealestate.com/2010/09/the-great-debate-comcast-vs-directv-vs-dish-network-vs-entouch/ - broken link) on my blog a few months ago that goes into a little bit more detail. I did not include U-verse since it was not an option for me.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,489,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
The best at sucking a55!
I disagree.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 PM

912 posts, read 2,257,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I disagree.
Sadly for you comcast do worse in customer service surveys than every other provider save AT&T Uverse who I also wouldn't urinate on in an incendiary situation.

Never mind that paying for television service is

a: for fools

and

b: a rip off of mind boggling proportions.

Makes me laugh when I talk to people who claim to have 'no money', yet seem to find $60 a month for their idiotbox habit and another $60 so they can yack about nothing on their cellphones all day. Honestly if they develop brain cancer as a result and had to have most of it hacked out I don't think it would impair their ability to carry on operating at the same level.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,887,931 times
All cable companies suck.
I would go with either DirecTV or DISH Network.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,472,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
All cable companies suck.
I would go with either DirecTV or DISH Network.
Agree completely, I will never, EVER have cable again.

I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now and love it completely. It would take a lot for me to switch.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 PM

85 posts, read 163,358 times
We just moved here also and got Comcast for TV, internet and phone.
Internet service is great; fast and pretty reliable. We usually have 3 laptops and an X-box live going and it hardly ever bogs down.
The cable is another matter. Great picture, but the guide sucks, the DVR is hard to figure out and just hard to use in general. Lots of channels and choices, but hard to find anything. You can only search by first letter of the entire title; if you're looking for, say, American Idol, you go to the beginning of the A's, then have to go page by page through all other letters until you get to M. Horrible and time consuming. Once you record something and want to fast forward, you can't go back if you forward too far, you have to restart from the beginning and forward again to where you want.
I don't have any experience with Dish, but know we were eating out tonight at a restaurant that had dish playing on their TV, and once the rain started, it went out and stayed out. The owner says it does that often.
Just my thoughts. Good luck on your move!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:36 PM

834 posts, read 2,197,019 times
hands down - get DirecTV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston