U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM

4,679 posts, read 8,252,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes5 View Post
I have now been given notice by some San Antonio law firm to pay immediately or have a hold put on my vehicle renewal. I think this is absolute BS as not only were the cameras outlawed, I did not violate any law, clearly stopping and making a protected right at an intersection with no traffic.

The notice also repeats the same BS that I cannot appeal because I missed the due date to pay.

Spending $100 bucks of hard-earned money for something where I got no due process and was not in error is absolute BS.

Is there any other option?
Wonder why would you get a letter from a San Antonio lawyer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,636 times
Quote:
Wonder why would you get a letter from a San Antonio lawyer ?
That firm is actually outsourced to collect for a great deal of red-light cameras across the nation. I've seen them cited in cases across the nation.

Update - I still received my vehicle registration renewal notice from the county and paid it. It looks like my vehicle registration was still renewable and that all these emails are just bull**** from the private company to collect money they no longer have a right to collect.

They can kiss my ass. I will update further when my vehicle is actually renewed to confirm that the letters are no more than bull**** to scare you.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 24,053 times
the letters are BS. You can still renew your registration.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM

344 posts, read 1,015,905 times
When laws change it doesn't always apply retroactively to past events. I don't know the case on the red light camera repeal, but unless the enacted ordinance states it is retroactive, all the violations prior to the law being changed are still considered as violations. And by ignoring the original notice you forfeited your ability to contest it.

So, the question is will they still come after you? It seems so. The fine folks at COH never knowingly miss an opportunity to grab money from someone's pocket when they have the authority. I'm sure the law firm works on a commission basis, so the odds of them backing off seem somewhat low.

The second question is will they be able to prevent you from renewing your vehicle registration. It seems not. Well, not as long as you live in Harris County, and only there because the county decided not to get involved. It is still in the state law (Texas Transportation Code) that the any county is authorized to deny your registration renewal if you have received a red light violation notice and two notices of required payments. Theoretically, if you move to another county you could be denied.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM

This morning's Chron has a story that says the city is going to consolidate the records of who owes money to the city and make it available to all departments. This is part of an "...aggressive collection program that is expected to make frequent use of litigation." According to the story, this includes the folks who owe $27 million in red light camera fees.
Quote:
City Attorney David Feldman, who spearheaded the city's Collections Task Force, said the key to increasing the city's collections is filing suit. "It's all about leverage," he said. "The leverage we have to put into the system that hasn't been there before is the threat of litigation."
If you owe city of Houston money, get ready to pay up | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Never forget that while on one hand government can be ineffective and impotent, that on the other hand it has a big hammer that it will occasionally use to smash people like bugs.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,636 times
I actually do not live in Harris County. I live in Stafford. I actually did send in a letter protesting the ticket and citing how it was a false positive. It was ignored of course.

I did hear on KUHF that they might be looking at red-light violators. But considering that red light citations are in a nebulous area of the law since they are not really a ticket (no witnesses), I call total bull**** on the city trying to give me a ticket over making a protected right.

The voters of houston already said no to this bull**** once. I am not wasting $100 bucks of hard earned cash on a bull**** citation that ignored my right to due process. I don't give a crap what some company says, one does not give up their rights simply because they missed a deadline.

The city of houston and their thugs can kiss my ass. If I had committed an actual violation, then I would pay, as I have in the past. We'll see if they come after me. I'd rather risk it though, I'm not paying a ticket I don't deserve if I can help it.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM

239 posts, read 547,544 times
Good luck with that!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
We'll see if they come after me. I'd rather risk it though, I'm not paying a ticket I don't deserve if I can help it.
Good luck to you. Who knows, knowing the incompetence in CoH operations you might just slide by. But if not, the way you're handling it is probably the exact opposite of how one should deal with it. Either way, good luck to you and keep on fighting the man!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 AM

380 posts, read 496,349 times
The only way for sure registration gets blocked is if you try to renew online, then it is a crapshoot regardless of what county you are in. There are people from all surrounding counties that have renewed their registration with outstanding camera tickets. You also should look at the actual language of the new charter amendment. It specifically says they city of houston shall not collect fines from the cameras. Get a certified copy of that and send it to the collector coming after you.

Quote:
I actually do not live in Harris County. I live in Stafford. I actually did send in a letter protesting the ticket and citing how it was a false positive. It was ignored of course.

I did hear on KUHF that they might be looking at red-light violators. But considering that red light citations are in a nebulous area of the law since they are not really a ticket (no witnesses), I call total bull**** on the city trying to give me a ticket over making a protected right.

The voters of houston already said no to this bull**** once. I am not wasting $100 bucks of hard earned cash on a bull**** citation that ignored my right to due process. I don't give a crap what some company says, one does not give up their rights simply because they missed a deadline.

The city of houston and their thugs can kiss my ass. If I had committed an actual violation, then I would pay, as I have in the past. We'll see if they come after me. I'd rather risk it though, I'm not paying a ticket I don't deserve if I can help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or