U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 PM

44 posts, read 26,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Go to a Gov't Auction on a rainy day and you should get a sweet deal.
Details please
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,383,790 times
public auctions - you can buy a car for super cheap if you dont mind the smell of coagulated blood!

as far as the cost of replacing a hybrid battery. i wouldnt know either. a friend has a prius he purchased with over 100k miles on it. still has originally battery and hes put a bunch of miles onto it since. i have my warranty which warranties the battery for 100k miles.

replacements typically come from wrecked cars PriusChat has a good discussion on this. avg. cost 400-1000 bucks.

but the biggest thing is the hybrid battery isnt like a regular car battery. it is not something that typically needs replacement.

on priuschat there are members who have over 200k on their prius and original parts

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,130 times
NISSAN ALTIMA!!!

Reliable, economical, powerful, veeeerrryyy spacious, sports suspension, lot cheaper than Honda and it comes in 4 and 6 cyl.
The 4 cyl 2.5L has close to 200 HP AND very ECONOMICAL...i get 30+ mpg on freeway at about 65mph.
Have owned the 4 cyl model since 2006 absolutely hassle free.
Hard to beat this vehicle for the money.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,067,761 times
Nissan is not reliable.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM

So what's the final verdict ?
Hybrid or No Hybrid ?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,067,761 times
Hybrid will cost you more then having a gas vehicle. Do your calculations.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Hybrid will cost you more then having a gas vehicle. Do your calculations.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 PM

6,400 posts, read 9,333,612 times
Dude - just get a car! Find a nice looking reliable and economical car to get you to and from school. Civics and Corollas have been recommended a lot so that would be a good start. If you want something larger, Sonata, Accord, Altima.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Dude - just get a car! Find a nice looking reliable and economical car to get you to and from school. Civics and Corollas have been recommended a lot so that would be a good start. If you want something larger, Sonata, Accord, Altima.
I know...I'm just fooling around !
I went out today & saw few Corollas & Civics :P

Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,383,790 times
cost is obviously or obviously should be what determines what car you will purchase. I do not have the "touring" prius as I felt the "lower end" model handled better on the road. some disagree, but I saved a few thousand. i have a package 3 which comes with everything cool that the higher end prius has except the navigation (all navigation systems are better after market). i think the upper end version also has the super bright headlamps, which you can purchase yourself and install if you care about that while saving serious cash. i didnt want leather in my car so that was a no brainer and also saves money.

but the prius isnt a "cheap" car but it is definitely not something over 40k. I bought mine brand new. by brand new i mean it came off the boat from japan, delivered by truck to the dealership and i met it there. i paid around 38k including taxes and all the dealership crap.

i had my car when gas prices were going crazy. i am sorry folks but omg i loved that. i still average 49 mpg (used to get 50, but i kind of drive bad now). my tank full is about 8-10 gallons. its a flexible tank so it varies like that. gas gauge is very reliable. i gas up so infrequently i cant remember how to use and pay at a gas pump. that ticks me off, but it is awesome at the same time.

gas is only going to get more expensive. no one can say otherwise. just no one really knows when it'll hit $5/gal or get to the point europe has been in for decades. we will EVENTUALLY be paying 7-8 bucks a gallon. i am planning on driving my prius till it is dead. that is likely to be a long time from now as long as I do regular maintenance (recommended every 5,000 miles). toyotas are also very reliable so i am feeling good about that. forget all that recall stuff. the recall was them cutting to make your floor mat shorter. if you are such a dult that you cant figure out your floor mat is interferring with your pedal wtf are you doing behind the wheel of a car. i still dont know how that happens. most of the stories that came out about the car accidents related to the "defect" ended up being fraud anyway (and a murder or two).

as i get paid the standard .50/mile travel for my work I make a profit of a couple of hundred dollars a month. sweet deal for me. My car is paid off, but it'll pay me back well before I have finished driving it.

the hybrid system is just also so cool. it is pretty neat to be driving top of the line technology. it is where everything in the market will be heading, some are already running there.

also look for people selling their hybrids when gas hits its peak again. there were people selling their USED priuses for PROFIT. i know people who sold their old ones for a profit and turned around and used that money to buy the new year version.

drive a couple different cars and read all about them. but I can't see anything wrong with a hybrid. people get fanatical about it because once you own it and drive it and see all the benefits it just becomes ridiculous to hear a car next to you running its engine at a red light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston