Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM

108 posts, read 231,491 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have a cracked window in the front of my house. This is the new type of vinyl windows the builders use now on the Energy Star houses (mine was built in 2009). These windows seem particularly brittle as during the construction phase 3 of these broke. Thankfully that was before I closed so it was on the builder to replace them. No problems with any of those windows since.

Anyhow, I need some advice.

A couple months ago one of my front windows cracked. It's just your normal 2-pane slide up-and-down window that has a vinyl frame (instead of the old metal frames). Only the outer pane is cracked, the inner one is intact and there hasn't been any noticeable difference as a result except that the glass constantly fogs up now. No drafts, no loss of AC - nothing, just cosmetic.

Well, I figure sooner or later the HOA will notice so while I have some extra cash I should get this fixed. What do you recommend? Do I get a contractor to replace just that outer pane? I think replacing the whole window would be a waste.

Could this even be a DIY job? Or is this one of those jobs best done by a pro? I've replaced screens on many occasions so I imagine it's something vaguely similar.

What do you guys think?

Are there any reliable contractors in the Katy area you would recommend I call for an estimate?

I don't want to be cheap, just trying to not needlessly waste money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Windows generally have a warranty. If it cracked for no reason, it was installed incorrectly. Every window we have had installed, four houses, had a lifetime warranty on the seal, and glass breaks. The frame does not need to be replaced, just the insulated glass.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Since your home is only two years old, I would find out from your builder (1) who supplied the windows, and (2) who did the glass & mirrors in your house. Because...

1) Some window companies will also do reglazes. They will charge you, but you know it will be done correctly.

2) Almost all glass/mirror companies do reglazes, and this is typically who the builder uses anyway. So if #1 doesn't work out, use #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Windows generally have a warranty. If it cracked for no reason, it was installed incorrectly. Every window we have had installed, four houses, had a lifetime warranty on the seal, and glass breaks. The frame does not need to be replaced, just the insulated glass.
It's very hard to say "it cracked for no reason". It's extremely unlikely the builder or the window company will replace a broken window after two years. The warranty is on the seal, not on breakage. crone--I would love to hear about your lifetime warranty on breakage. What builder, what window?

BTW, almost no company in Houston has a lifetime warranty on the seal either. The three big window companies that builders use have a 5-10 year warranty. Maybe some of the smaller, more esoteric ones have lifetime (Pella or Anderson, although I don't know), but those windows are not used in the average new home in Houston.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Mine were not builder grade windows. The first we bought were triple pane, with argon. The security company advised there was no need to put sensors on the windows, they were so good. We used the same company again on another house. The closest we came to builder crap is the house we are in now. These windows were installed by Champion Forest Exteriors. In Dallas, we had Don Young windows with low-e tempered glass. They were not nearly as good as the ones made in Ohio, but are way better than the ones I paid Champion Forest Exteriors about $500 a piece for. They also have low-e tempered glass.The windows with the triple pane with argon paid for themselves in three years. The ones in Dallas, 2 years.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:21 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Mine were not builder grade windows. The first we bought were triple pane, with argon. The security company advised there was no need to put sensors on the windows, they were so good. We used the same company again on another house. The closest we came to builder crap is the house we are in now. These windows were installed by Champion Forest Exteriors. In Dallas, we had Don Young windows with low-e tempered glass. They were not nearly as good as the ones made in Ohio, but are way better than the ones I paid Champion Forest Exteriors about $500 a piece for. They also have low-e tempered glass.The windows with the triple pane with argon paid for themselves in three years. The ones in Dallas, 2 years.
...this stuff gets sillier with each new post.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Spoken by one who is clueless when it comes to holes in the walls of houses. Windows are cheaper than walls, insulation, drywall and paint. That is why the industry has convinced you that you want a lot of windows.
The building code for a hundred years has specified tempered glass within less than 2 feet from the floor.You want a kid or pet going through a window, go ahead on, fool. Seen enough of that to convince me that good glass is better than an injured child.
Just because you are ignorant, does not mean I am silly. Have a nice day.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Call this guy Roja at 832-889-6190... He works for a David Weekly glass reputable contractor. A double pane window will cost you around $100 for parts and labor.
And no I wouldn't recommend to do this by yourself. I watched him doing mine and is a bit complex if you don't have the right tools....

You window seal is broken therefore humidity now get's inside, plus the window is no longer providing you with energy features as it was intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoderGeek View Post
Hey all,

I have a cracked window in the front of my house. This is the new type of vinyl windows the builders use now on the Energy Star houses (mine was built in 2009). These windows seem particularly brittle as during the construction phase 3 of these broke. Thankfully that was before I closed so it was on the builder to replace them. No problems with any of those windows since.

Anyhow, I need some advice.

A couple months ago one of my front windows cracked. It's just your normal 2-pane slide up-and-down window that has a vinyl frame (instead of the old metal frames). Only the outer pane is cracked, the inner one is intact and there hasn't been any noticeable difference as a result except that the glass constantly fogs up now. No drafts, no loss of AC - nothing, just cosmetic.

Well, I figure sooner or later the HOA will notice so while I have some extra cash I should get this fixed. What do you recommend? Do I get a contractor to replace just that outer pane? I think replacing the whole window would be a waste.

Could this even be a DIY job? Or is this one of those jobs best done by a pro? I've replaced screens on many occasions so I imagine it's something vaguely similar.

What do you guys think?

Are there any reliable contractors in the Katy area you would recommend I call for an estimate?

I don't want to be cheap, just trying to not needlessly waste money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: