U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 18,888 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find 10-100 acres of recreational or agricultural land close to houston.

I moved to Houston from another country and farming and livestock was my main profession back there. I am running my own business here and would love to do something on side as hobby but I am not willing to spend half a million for a decent sized land. Only option that works for me is to lease the land!

I am not sure how things work here, I have done plenty of google search and I cannot find any listings or information on how to lease land. I cannot even find realtors/brokers dealing in land leases. I am assuming that means that only way to do that would be to BUY land but I am confused as to why there is absolutely no market for leasing pasture/grazing or recreational land lease.

Can anyone help me find something that fits my needs? Is it even possible to lease land in Texas or US for that matter? I am not looking for something 100% developed, infact I can just use open land with brush or even wooded area with some open tracts and invest in putting storage and barn for my needs
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

6,401 posts, read 9,106,436 times
You have to look NW SW or South of Houston like 20 to 30 miles outside the beltway

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
You have to look NW SW or South of Houston like 20 to 30 miles outside the beltway
Thanks for your help! I know I have to look outside the city but my problem is WHERE do I look?

I cant find any real estate brokers/agents/realtors dealing with land leases
There is no website with any such ads
There are no such ads in any of the newspapers or classifieds
I dont see any signs for land lease

I am not sure if leasing land is even possible, I can even take hunting lease without the hunting part but again, I am not sure where to look for that!

Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM

6,401 posts, read 9,106,436 times
Pick a few zip codes & search Houston Real Estate - Search Houston Homes, Houses For Sale, Houston Realtors

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 PM

724 posts, read 1,423,280 times
To purchase land, you need to get a commercial real estate agent and tell him to search for empty tracks of land without deed restrictions that would prevent cattle grazing. You must be very specific when telling people what to do if they have not already done what you are asking. Commercial real estate agents do this kind of thing all the time, just not usually for cattle grazing. Buying land can actually be much cheaper than leasing as long as you are not looking for a property with the intention of turning it into a neighborhood or shopping center. The land with potential for something like that will be uneconomical for your purposes. You may want to try out in Fulshear.

Additionally, with the agricultural exemption for property taxes, purchasing land becomes a much better option than leasing. This is perhaps why there you have not been able to find a market for leasing agents.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
To purchase land, you need to get a commercial real estate agent and tell him to search for empty tracks of land without deed restrictions that would prevent cattle grazing. You must be very specific when telling people what to do if they have not already done what you are asking. Commercial real estate agents do this kind of thing all the time, just not usually for cattle grazing. Buying land can actually be much cheaper than leasing as long as you are not looking for a property with the intention of turning it into a neighborhood or shopping center. The land with potential for something like that will be uneconomical for your purposes. You may want to try out in Fulshear.

Additionally, with the agricultural exemption for property taxes, purchasing land becomes a much better option than leasing. This is perhaps why there you have not been able to find a market for leasing agents.
Thank you, that was very helpful. Only problem is that buying land is expensive (I understand your reasoning longterm) but I just dont have $100k+ and since I moved here just few months ago, I do not have the kind of credit that will get me real estate financed, especially vacant land.

I guess I'll try calling some commercial real estate agents tomorrow and see what they suggest

Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,309,583 times
People do lease land all the time. You need to talk to the local real estate agents in the rural areas, avoid google as it is all links to big aggregation websites and won't be of any help.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM

798 posts, read 2,033,093 times
My Dad purchased 175 acres for a little over 200k in Milam county about a year ago, so deals are out there. I know you cant buy, but that at least tells you if land can be bought that cheap, it can be leased cheap too. Id look for the smallest you might be happy with. Try to find a new owner looking for someone to do what you are doing, so they can get their ag exemption.

Just look up counties you would be ok with the drive to, and google realtors in that county, call agents.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM

107 posts, read 414,703 times
Also look west, land is leased in Katy all of the time for livestock. Head north on Mason from I-10 and you will see cattle before you have traveled 3 miles.
Developers are just sitting on huge tracts out there right now.

Anyone notice that large tract of land that was just cleared on I-10 (southside of freeway) just before you get to Katy Mills?? They cleared the land and did a lot of grading/dirt prep. Well now the whole tract is fenced and has cattle on it.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM

724 posts, read 1,423,280 times
Those suggestions make sense. The person leasing land can get the ag exemption which will be an incentive to lease at a good rate. Also, you can move your cattle if they ever sell their land or develop it so there is no reason not to get some income on the land while it sits idle for their purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or