U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,211 times

Advertisements

I've been reading these forums for days so I am hopeful that I'll be able to get some answers/informaton to my dilemma.

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Katy, we currently live in the Westchase area, Kirkwood/Briar Forest. He works in Greenspoint and I work at 610/Bellaire.

I would love to live in Cinco Ranch or a comparable area, however, it seems out of our price range, despite the many wonderful things I have seen about it. We have a large blended family which requires us to have a minimum of 4 bedrooms (generally weekends only). We also have a son together that is 2. So my top priorities are getting him into a safe neighborhood with good schools. We have a realtor, however, I am really looking for insight from people that live in the area or know people that do. I'm really looking forward to getting into a neighborhood with a family feel and getting to know my neighbors.

There are several beautiful homes currently on the market in Barkers Ridge that meet our price range (less than $200k) and the floor plans meet our needs (big kitchens and playrooms), however I have read several things here about the schools Barkers Ridge is zoned to, Schmalz Elementary and Mayde Creek Middle & High Schools that make me nervous. I've also read online that Barkers Ridge has problems with smell from a landfill and sewage treatment plants.

I am terrified to make a mistake and purchase a house in a neighborhood that doesn't work for our family. So my questions are: does anyone know of any recent problems with the sub-division, the schools, neighborhoods, etc. And if so, any recommendations on other similar neighborhoods to look at ... we've been combing this site and HAR.com for what feels like years. Appreciate any help at all. I'm not making any judgements - simply looking for good information to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,809,927 times
I absolutely LOVE Barkers Ridge. We probably would have ended up there if we had stayed in Houston with my husband in the same job. The HOA is VERY strong, the community is tight-knit. Diane Sanders is a real estate agent that has lived there for a VERY long time (though now she may just be nearby, she wanted a house with land) and she has a great newsletter. The homes are older, but are all Pulte, and pretty decent quality.

Barker's Ridge Homeowners Association
They have pics of their events there. Lots of stuff for kids!

Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM

8,950 posts, read 14,083,351 times
Barkers Ridge is a secret treasure and a good move. Deerfield is the other one.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

3,467 posts, read 6,811,891 times
Barkers Ridge is very nice

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,765,250 times
Barker's is nice and has traditionally been much lower in price compared to things east of it. It doesn't seem to appreciate much and I do think that has to do with the schools.

The major beef with the schools is the bussing into Katy for them, not the quality of them. When the kids become teenagers they have to drive the freeway to get to High School or to visit friends. That scares the crap out of most people. As a parent driving you have to deal with the backups at morning rush hour on Eldridge or 6. I've never done it but I could image it would be about an hour round trip these days to get the kids to school and back home. Most bus the kids...who ride the freeway in seatbeltless, yellow buses.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM

155 posts, read 466,304 times
Another vote for Barkers Ridge... Thats one of the nicest subdivisions, along with parts of Westfield. My only gripe is the High School. Mayde Creek High is one of the least favored high schools in Katy.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,862,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The major beef with the schools is the bussing into Katy for them, not the quality of them. When the kids become teenagers they have to drive the freeway to get to High School or to visit friends.
I thought the schools (Mayde Creek Jr and High) were on the same side of I-10 as Barkers Ridge? So why would they get on the freeway? Unless I'm mixing it up with another neighborhood...

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know where this Mayde Creek stuff comes from...they go to Taylor and whatever junior high is over there. You can't get across the Addicks Dam/Bush Park area by car or bus. You have to go to the freeway and then back south again.Google Maps

Here's the map where Taylor is. It's west of Fry. Barker's is East of Highway 6
Why would KISD zone them to Taylor when Mayde Creek is right next to them?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,765,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Why would KISD zone them to Taylor when Mayde Creek is right next to them?
Ahhhh you know what? I was thinking Barkers Landing. Never mind. Carry on.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh you know what? I was thinking Barkers Landing. Never mind. Carry on.
No big deal lol, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, we all know about the(hush hush) KISD zoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or