Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

Okay - I thought you meant diverse housing as in architecture styles - as a population Houston is in general diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 04:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Diverse, like a good mix of black and white.
My neighborhood, the Jewish part of Fondren SW (77071), is very diverse along the lines of what you are looking for. Similar to Far Rockaway except not segregated along Jewish/Black/White lines, people get along here. The apartments around the area are sketchy though, giving it an edgy feel like FR, but the area with single family homes is fine and it's affordable.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Katy and Sugar Land.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM

145 posts, read 382,866 times
In your price range, the Sugar Land/Missouri City area sounds like the best fit. It is extremely racially diverse. You could almost definitely find something nice in your price range with neighborhood variation in architecture and a pool in the nicer, southern portion of Quail Valley (Thunderbird) in Missouri City. There are a few sections of First Colony such as Lexington Colony or Lakefield that may also have something under $200,000 that most fits of your needs, although they are fairly cookie-cutter.

Houston is cheap, but it is not free. The cooler, inner-loop neighborhoods do come with a premium attached that prices them out of your - and my - sub-$200,000 range. I am also from the northeast and can honestly say that among Houston's problems, finding a good, racially-diverse neighborhood in which to settle is not one of them.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
In your price range, the Sugar Land/Missouri City area sounds like the best fit. It is extremely racially diverse. You could almost definitely find something nice in your price range with neighborhood variation in architecture and a pool in the nicer, southern portion of Quail Valley (Thunderbird) in Missouri City. There are a few sections of First Colony such as Lexington Colony or Lakefield that may also have something under $200,000 that most fits of your needs, although they are fairly cookie-cutter.

Houston is cheap, but it is not free. The cooler, inner-loop neighborhoods do come with a premium attached that prices them out of your - and my - sub-$200,000 range. I am also from the northeast and can honestly say that among Houston's problems, finding a good, racially-diverse neighborhood in which to settle is not one of them.
This.

Houston in itself is diverse - that's not the problem. It's finding a house under $200K with a pool that's going to limit your areas (but it certainly can be done). Go with that goal - the diversity works itself out.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post

Agree; this is one of the most diverse, least segregated cities I've ever experienced (incl. NYC, LA). Mostly, nobody cares what color you are, or language you speak, or sexual orientation, or religion---everybody here pretty much gets along (you're going to have haterz everywhere).

Agree with the post about Quail Valley, and that's an area where you might see some appreciation as the area "comes back". Be aware, though: this is a huge city, and prices vary widely. That "Houston is cheap" deal---yes, it's cheaper than Manhattan. Yes, it's cheaper than Beverly Hills. But, like Long Island, there's everything from crappy and VERY cheap to uber-nice and hideously expensive. In fact, Long Island is a good example of Houston as a whole---you really can't make any generalizations about Long Island; it's too diverse. Same here.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:31 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Agree; this is one of the most diverse, least segregated cities I've ever experienced (incl. NYC, LA). Mostly, nobody cares what color you are, or language you speak, or sexual orientation, or religion---everybody here pretty much gets along (you're going to have haterz everywhere).

Agree with the post about Quail Valley, and that's an area where you might see some appreciation as the area "comes back". Be aware, though: this is a huge city, and prices vary widely. That "Houston is cheap" deal---yes, it's cheaper than Manhattan. Yes, it's cheaper than Beverly Hills. But, like Long Island, there's everything from crappy and VERY cheap to uber-nice and hideously expensive. In fact, Long Island is a good example of Houston as a whole---you really can't make any generalizations about Long Island; it's too diverse. Same here.

Good luck!
LOL, unfortunately, just about all of Long Island is ridiculously over-priced and expensive EVEN the crappy areas!

A 3-4 bedroom home in a bad ghetto STARTS AT $275,000 (before the Recession)!!! For a 3-4 Bedroom home in a decent town it would START AT $400,000! Oh and don't even get me started about the taxes in one of the counties, it can cost $10,000 a year for a half-acre property in some areas!

That's why I want to move, it's ridiculously expensive there! Cost of Living is through the roof!

That's what attracted me to Houston, you can get a decent house with a swimming pool for a decent price and a reasonable cost of living in a warm climate!

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-31-2010 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 AM

123 posts, read 288,089 times
most native Texans wind up keeping catfish in back yard pools and just go jump in a creek fer swimmin.

im kiddin! well mostly kiddin.

might want to look up out on the edge of the metro area in some of the older subdivisions. perhaps up 59 from humble on north.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
The Woodlands and Conroe is NOT diverse.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,648 times
Why do you say that? What kinds of cities are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston