U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 PM

649 posts, read 1,440,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Garage apartments are apartments built on top of the garages and usually leased out - typically found inside the loop and not all that cheap - because it's inside the loop.

If you want to retire in a small home with a nice community - with very reasonable costs - I would suggest Copperfield. The subdivision has a mix of large and small home - built in the 80's and 90's - with lots of parks and pools.
thanks cheryjohns but don't want to live in a house; i prefer apartment, and don't want to buy; i like to move around too much for that; but appreciate the input on locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 PM

$200!!!!!!!! wow; even with subzero temps here in spokane my last utility bill was $57. now i'm in a newer apt well insulated too; ...............so that's a big increase for me..... but are you sure for a small apt that it'd be that hi....i can see that for a leaky house but apts are usually lots less on utilities becasue they are so insulated by surrounding apts?????????

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM

8,950 posts, read 14,083,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
$200!!!!!!!! wow; even with subzero temps here in spokane my last utility bill was $57. now i'm in a newer apt well insulated too; ...............so that's a big increase for me..... but are you sure for a small apt that it'd be that hi....i can see that for a leaky house but apts are usually lots less on utilities becasue they are so insulated by surrounding apts?????????
It's not the winters (cheap) - it is the summers and the AC bill. I think you may have never been here in the summer. Do a forum search as to the summer heat. Oh yeah, your car needs AC - not would like to have - you need it.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 PM

ok so $200 is for summer utility and then goes way down other months??? that's ok. and yes on ac in car.......do any cars come without it anymore....but i'd not bringing my car, too far to come with it, i'd get another after arriving, i'm over 2,100 miles away, wouldn't tow it that far.....would even cosider getting rid of my stuff and rebuying after getting there, i'm not attacted to "things"........everything is replaceable. i'm probably best suited to living like a gypsy in a big rv but being a single woman probably not that safe a lifestyle, but do like to travel light.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM
fnh

2,032 posts, read 2,576,063 times
Have you considered Albuquerque? Yes there is occasional snowfall but it doesn't stick around very long in the lower elevations of the city. A sunny arid climate with real seasons and beautiful scenery, lots of hiking... New Mexico leans more liberal in general and the cost of living is reasonable. Houston is very livable in terms of cost and convenience, but it is not a city I would choose for an outdoor lifestyle during retirement. If the heat and humidity don't keep you indoors, the mosquitoes surely will. ;-)

Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 PM

thanks but i thought it snowed lots in albugugu...........i've traveled through there and it's beautiful.......... so i'll check it out better, ya outdoor life is important to me......not supose to snow that much here in spokane; it didn't snow at all last year but so far we just went through our second blizzard so far this year.....and even one blizzard is one too many......when you get old every month counts....i don't want to be stuck indoors for weeks and weeks at a time due to ice and snow, rain i can deal with, but ice and snow is a deal breaker. thanks again for you input.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM

ok checked out albuquerque and you're right it only snows a little and it doesn't stick do i'll check that area out. it might not have enough going on though, it's half a mil people but seems like a slow lifestyle....but good suggestion. thanks

Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,472,059 times
I think you need to visit ANYWHERE before you decide to move there. It'd be worth the $$$ just to avoid a costly mistake.

I'm liberal, and Houston is very welcoming. Nobody here cares who/what you are. They care if you're a decent, worthwhile person. This is the south, so you're going to have more evangelical Christians, but nobody has bothered me here at all. You have to like diversity if you live here, because people here are the colors of the rainbow, all different religions and languages, and from the far ends of the earth (along with east Texas and Louisiana).

Texas has deregulated electricity, so unless your apartment complex does a "group buy" (which many do; the complex buys power at a commercial rate, then re-sells it to you by usage--this is usually cheaper than you can get if you're on your own), you have to shop for power like you shop for cell phone service. Most power companies offer "Levelized billing" which is what I have (they take a rolling average of your monthly utilities and you pay that per month rather than your actual cost; means you pay the same each month. Mine is $185/month (every month) for a 4 bedroom 3 bath 2500 square foot home. I'm reasonably frugal, but I can't stand to sleep hot, so I keep it cool at night.)

I like being able to drive my convertible (as I did today) with the top down in the middle of winter. The trade-off is the summer; it's pretty hot and humid in July and August. Thing is, most of us are still out and about, doing whatever, during that time. Probably best not to jog at 3:00 pm on a very sunshiny day in August, unless you're iron-woman. However, it can be delightful at 7:00 or 8:00 pm, and it's daylight until 9:00 pm in the summer.

Be aware, though: it is a very humid climate. If you want drier, you have to go more toward the desert or the west; the entire Gulf Coast, along with the south and midwest (talking US here, not just Texas) is very hot and humid in the summer. It just is, kind of like the PNW is very rainy. There's a reason everybody wants to live in San Diego; the weather is perfect almost all of the time; not humid, not hot, not cold. That's why it costs so much to live there.

Houston is very car-centric; freeways rule here. Public transportation is minimal (there are buses all over the place, but they are a slow-go). However, there are some great parks and public places here. Most people are surprised at how green it is here (lots of trees), and how "tropical". It's actually "sub-tropical", so there are palm trees and tropical flowers; most homes and businesses are nicely landscaped and you'll see some pretty (if manmade) vistas.

I love it here and wouldn't want to go anywhere else (I've been around the world and come back). You'll have to judge if it's right for you.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:43 PM

404 posts, read 884,076 times
I moved from WA to TX two years ago. I still haven't gotten used to the humid climate.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,240,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
been reading through craigslist for houston........what are garage apartments?????? never heard that term before??? is it just what it says; someone turned their garage into an apartment and are renting it out????
You got it ... usually it is an apt. built as a second story over a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or