U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 15,923,098 times

Advertisements

If you aren't hung up on the idea of big complexes (the ones that advertise), the best thing you could do is take a drive around the Montrose and Rice Village areas and look for an apartment in a small complex (like a 4 plex or 6 unit). Alot of these are advertised by a sign in the yard and are snapped up pretty quick when found. Some are dumps but others are really nice little treasures to find. Heck my LL didn't even have to put a sign up when I left mine. I moved out a week after I gave notice (was waiting to close on house and wanted time to move) and paid for the whole last month, he rented it by word of mouth 3 days after I gave notice and refunded me the prorated rent. Lesson here is to check with some of the other folks where you will be working and they might know a little gem that is up for rent and you can snap it up quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM

10 posts, read 15,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalFat View Post
Apartments are typically really awful. I've been combing a lot of apartment rating websites and the ratings are always pretty bad. Add to that most people won't bother posting reviews unless they had a bad experience. Good reviews usually appear to be posted by owners/employees. I've had friends who have stayed in more expensive apartments and spending more doesn't seem to help much (a little but it's still bad). I hope someone will chime in with experience living in a specific place you might be looking at.

We are not in that area, but you may be able to do as we did and find a townhouse somewhere. We like our place a lot. It has a lot of the advantages of a house (our own driveway and entrance areas) while still being cheaper than a house. The walls between us and the neighbors is solid brick, so in 5 years we have never actually heard them not even once!
Thanks for the suggestions. @ TotalFat: In which area is your residence, so that I can look if that is within my commuting distance.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
If you aren't hung up on the idea of big complexes (the ones that advertise), the best thing you could do is take a drive around the Montrose and Rice Village areas and look for an apartment in a small complex (like a 4 plex or 6 unit). Alot of these are advertised by a sign in the yard and are snapped up pretty quick when found. Some are dumps but others are really nice little treasures to find. Heck my LL didn't even have to put a sign up when I left mine. I moved out a week after I gave notice (was waiting to close on house and wanted time to move) and paid for the whole last month, he rented it by word of mouth 3 days after I gave notice and refunded me the prorated rent. Lesson here is to check with some of the other folks where you will be working and they might know a little gem that is up for rent and you can snap it up quick.
I have tried contacting them, but the apartment complex they suggest have bad reviews, hence the post to get some help from other people in that area. Thanks for the suggestion. Rice village seems to be nearby, will look over that... thanks once again

Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
If you'll work for MD Anderson, then you are eligible to apply to live in UT-Houston's University Housing. The El Paseo complex, the nicer of the two, is on the southern end of the TMC area and has units in the $600-$700 price range. The adjacent Recreation Center is very nice, as well. They usually have a waiting list, so you probably should contact them ASAP regarding availability in the event you are interested.
Tried contacting them, no reply. Maybe out for vacation. Will try once again. thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM

93 posts, read 227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixter3010 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. @ TotalFat: In which area is your residence, so that I can look if that is within my commuting distance.
I'm way out in Friendswood. There are lots of 4-plexes near Blackhawk and FM 528, with at least one for rent right now. There is a large complex of quiet townhomes on Laura Leigh, near Blackhawk. It's definitely commutable distance-wise. I worked downtown for several years. However, if you had the option, it would be preferable to be right by where you will be going every day. My area is considered the "ghetto" of Friendswood. It's all relative. People just say that because it isn't as affluent. I can't think of any specific area where you can live so cheaply, and still be in such an extremely quiet and safe neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Thank a lot. Really appreciate your suggestions and information

Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
My granddaughter's gs leader works for MD Anderson and lives in Pearland. Not sure that would work for you though.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,689 times
Look for a garage apartment on craigslist or har.com in the montrose,midtown heights area. You will be able to find plenty small 1 bedroom bungalows or garage apartments or even a duplex. Let me know if you want me to email them over to you in a pdf I just pulled up a bunch real quick. There are great old homes that have been converted to duplexes. They range from $650-$850

Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks, but I wanted something nearby atleast for first few months.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidipooh View Post
Look for a garage apartment on craigslist or har.com in the montrose,midtown heights area. You will be able to find plenty small 1 bedroom bungalows or garage apartments or even a duplex. Let me know if you want me to email them over to you in a pdf I just pulled up a bunch real quick. There are great old homes that have been converted to duplexes. They range from $650-$850
Thank you for the suggestion. Will try har.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or