U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 8,498 times
Smile Need Advice on Meeting People in this HUGE City!!

Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm a 22 yr old graduate student at the Univ of Houston and I'm having a hard time really finding my social niche in this city. I'm originally from Dallas and went to college in Baltimore, MD. I have a great core group of friends in both of those cities, but I can't seem to find the same thing here in Houston!

The most obvious thing would be to make friends in my grad program but a majority (I'm talking about 80% here) of the people in my program are 27 yrs +, married, with children, or have a full-time job. Thereforeeee, it's difficult for me to relate to these people, as I'm a bit younger and have more time on my hands.

Any suggestions on how I can broaden my social experience here in Houston??? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 PM

3,833 posts, read 4,430,347 times
Join a club or hang out a the Y

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,259,528 times
Are there any organizations or volunteer groups through the university that you can get involved with?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM

9,605 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Try looking for a meetup group that has your interests and is based in Houston

Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM

85 posts, read 98,699 times
I agree with nana. meetup is a great place to meet people you might have some interests in. Hubby and I had lunch and went to the movies today with some of our group. And there are PLENTY for people your age.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 8,498 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 11,915 times
YAP- Young Active Professionals is good if you want a wide range of ppl

Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,414,240 times
join an excersize group,boot camp or running club that meets in Memorial or Hermann. UofH is such a commuter school that it can be hard. Try hanging out at Rice U places near the village.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM

9,991 posts, read 9,678,524 times
I've heard that going to City Centre is a good way to mingle with new people.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 129,959 times
Start geocaching. It's a good way to meet active, social people. They have meet ups frequently, although I have not gone to any myself. Geocachers are often involved in a great many other activities, so it can be a good cross-pollinator.
Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Join the SCCA and start autocrossing. You can race just about any car, and the skills you learn might save your bacon one day. It can be done on a shoestring budget. I raced when I went to Texas A&M and met a lot of good people that way. I never raced when I came back to Houston, but I am about to break back into it.
Houston Region SCCA :: A place for car enthusiasts in Houston

You may also look into hashing, which sounds strange/horrible, but it can be a lot of fun. In a nutshell, its where you drink and run. I did it once in Tampa, so I couldn't tell you much about the scene here in Houston, except that I know it exists.
Hash House Harriers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston