U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 18,452 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for new job and I hope I'll get that one in Galveston, TX. Currently I'm living in Wisconsin. I've never been to Texas before. Can some one suggest me very good neighborhood where I can commute between office and home? (I'm Indian , btw)

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM

3,267 posts, read 6,279,717 times
One popular area is north Galveston county. League City is an easy commute to Galveston, and it is full of new development.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 18,452 times
Thanks Dan!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
Even though I don't live there, I've heard and read awesome things about League City. I say go for it.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 PM

13,723 posts, read 25,295,786 times
It might as well be known that there is >50 miles between Houston and Galveston, at least from center to center. It's comparable to the distance between downtown Milwaukee and Sheboygan. League City would be something like Port Washington in between there.

League City's road infrastructure has not kept up with the population growth. FM 518 (the main highway going east-west through League city) is particularly slow. I have spent close 30 minutes before just getting through a couple intersections directly west of I-45. That spot is a complete mess.

Any help here is going to be rather vague until you let people know what your budget is and whether you're looking at buying or renting. I would consider renting at first and buying only if you're looking at sticking around for the long term.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Check out League City, Friendswood, and the Clear Lake area. All are close together, and all have nice neighborhoods (from middle class to upscale affluent), lower crime than the city, and all have easy access to interstate 45 to Galveston. Plus this area has a lot of it's own amenities so you don't have to drive into Houston often such as - a symphony, a so-so mall, an upper level university, 3 Wal-Marts, 3 Targets, hospitals (hope you never need that but it's there!), the largest HEB grocery store in the state, etc. And yes right now League City traffic sux. The city is bursting from new development.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 AM

123 posts, read 242,971 times
galveston itself aint too bad. by hurricane season have a bug out bag built.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

543 posts, read 1,169,531 times
DanielWanye,
Where is the largest HEB that you mentioned? I went to the Heb in Webster near by Bay Area and El Camino. I think the HEB in Webster was small compared to the one that I've been to in Sharptown. I liked the HEB in Sharptown b/c it has a lot of selections and a wide variety of food. The HEB in Webster has very limited selection of food. Is there another HEB near by that I don't know about?
Regarding Targets & Walmart, I only know of two: one near by Bay Brook mall (I-45) and one near by Kemah. Where is the 3rd one? Is there anything in Clear Lake - NASA area itself?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM

13,723 posts, read 25,295,786 times
There's another superpowercenterplacethingamajig on 45 @ FM 646, technically in League City but really between there and Dickinson. Built just a few years ago. Got Wal-Mart, Target and the whole works.

The good thing is if you miss an exit, you can just go a couple miles ahead to the next one.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
DanielWanye,
Where is the largest HEB that you mentioned? I went to the Heb in Webster near by Bay Area and El Camino. I think the HEB in Webster was small compared to the one that I've been to in Sharptown. I liked the HEB in Sharptown b/c it has a lot of selections and a wide variety of food. The HEB in Webster has very limited selection of food. Is there another HEB near by that I don't know about?
Regarding Targets & Walmart, I only know of two: one near by Bay Brook mall (I-45) and one near by Kemah. Where is the 3rd one? Is there anything in Clear Lake - NASA area itself?

Try this link below and if it doesn't work, then it is meant to point to the HEB at the corner of 646 and interstate 45 at the southern end of League City.

Google Maps

I think when it opened that HEB was the largest in Tx. There is a Wal-Mart and Target across the freeway from that HEB, although in the news this area was popular with thieves (don't leave stuff in your car) since it is relatively new. I can't think of anything else in Clear lake itself. Although if you are in the northern part of Clear Lake, then you can easily drive up Space Center Blvd to the nice shopping center in Pasadena at Fairmont Pkwy and Beltway 8. Lots of big chain stores in that area, and it is a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston