U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM

724 posts, read 1,424,139 times

Advertisements

"near a river or water to use our stand-up paddleboards"

This is just asking for too much.

There is no way Houston has worse crime than NYC and Boston. It sounds like y'all just want to live in the burbs. And, why not? You want parks and safety. You work in Katy and there are physical therapist jobs in the burbs too. It doesn't seem like you want a city lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,153,160 times
The 'per capita' measures are just that-mathematical measures of crime as diluted by population. Moreover, there's a huge fudge factor in how cities (that choose to) divulge stats make them available to the reporting agencies, including the FBI. Crime isn't necessarily driven down into such neat packages. Just be careful as you would in any large city. I've lived in inner Houston since 1995 (and am a native, non-gun toting Texan) and I feel fine about my family's safety.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM

3,267 posts, read 6,283,443 times
Coming from NYC and Boston, and Houston has crime problems???

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM

13,724 posts, read 25,305,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
There is no way Houston has worse crime than NYC
In a good-faith effort to stave off the inevitable city war...

Remember that anywhere, you are more likely to be near an act of crime than to be the victim of it. This factor probably has more to do with the perceptions of cities or sections of cities than actual crime statistics, as well as coverage habits of the local media (which is invariably known, shall we say, to stretch some truths a bit).

NYC's recent trend has been a low per-capita rate by large city standards. Still, the gross number of incidents is higher than any other city owing to its larger population, all of which occupies a rather small area. Therefore, you are more likely to be near an act of crime in NYC, but statistically (based on the incidents/population ratio) less likely to be the actual victim.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Hope so.

The same rules apply in every large city. feufoma pretty much nailed them.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 AM

20 posts, read 28,852 times
I am moving to Houston from the Baton Rouge area probably to the Memorial area hopefully in the next month. If we are going to go by "per capita" standards then I am the one making out good. If Baton Rouge wasn't the "per capita" murder capitol last year they were real close. At one time in the past couple years they were number one. They are off to a good start this year as well. I can't wait to get away from this cess pool. I get to meet the finer citizens daily working for the city/parish EMS.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
You should check out the website [URL="http://www.houstoncrimewatch.com"]www.houstoncrimewatch.com[/URL]. It is very informative.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,909,911 times
ive been lost COMPLETELY in various projects and some of the worst areas in houston on numerous occasions (thanks to my job and prior to buying a GPS system) and never had a problem. i guarantee you i do not look tough ha.

some of the nicest guys who offered to help me out were the tattooed gangsters on the corners selling. gave me directions, wished me a good day, joked around

people will always be more scared than the chances of them coming into actual harm.

houston feels more safe to me than many areas in NYC and Boston. I have been to both, but never lived there. you appear to have enough income to avoid the rough neighborhoods so I would say you do not need to worry about crime. plus you got a dog. that'll keep your house safer than any alarm system

random crime does happen, but random violent or lethal crime is pretty rare. if you want to carry a gun you are more likely to end up having to defend yourself from your husband or wife. that is what's scary!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,465,501 times
Quick bit o' advice.

For some reason, we now have a trend of drivers at night driving without their taillights on.

Evidently, it is fine and dandy to use only those auto headlamps when driving a dark colored (black, especially) vehicle at night.

Two nights in a row in Westheimer I have seen this and I don't even live on that side of town. The one tonight had a Florida license plate, so do not think that stupid drivers are only a Houston area invention.

So, forget crime. Dumb drivers are your thorn in the side.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2,597 posts, read 7,051,590 times
This is the craziest thread....if you are from Boston or NYC why are you afraid of Houston? There is as much crime in Katy or SL as in many parts of the city. I know only two people that carry weapons all the time and they are rednecks.
Paddleboarding can only be done in Clear Lake or Galveston IMO.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 PM

912 posts, read 2,258,592 times
The biggest threat to your life and well being here in Houston is idiot drivers. Drunk, texting, incompetent or just brain dead idiots who cannot drive. I see these people every day.

Get a licence, a concealed handgun permit, a shotgun for your dwelling and an alarm*

*don't use ADT to monitor it they are lying robbers (in my opinion)

You will be safer here, as the law allows, than anywhere else I've ever lived if you take these precautions. God Bless Texas and I mean that most sincerely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or