U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to Houston in the next month are so and the more I have read about the city and the crime problems I haven't been too impressed. Lots of posts about cars with stolen wheels, cars broken into, homes broken into, etc.

We are from NYC and Boston and we are no stranger to the city life; however Houston seems to have some problems. Am I wrong?

What we need to for a living situation is the following:
- 70lb dog, boxer mix very friendly
- live near a park to take the dog, biking, etc
- near a river or water to use our stand-up paddleboards
- pool
- I will work in Katy and my Girl will most likely work closer to downtown in a hospital (Physical Therapist)

We had been checking out the areas around Memorial Park which has included the Heights and some areas of Washington Ave. They seem to be "up & coming areas" but still with some problems. Is the "burbs" the answer? We would prefer to be in the city, but with me traveling a lot for work this might not be safe for my girl.

Any feedback would help. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:46 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1980 View Post
My girlfriend and I are moving to Houston in the next month are so and the more I have read about the city and the crime problems I haven't been too impressed. Lots of posts about cars with stolen wheels, cars broken into, homes broken into, etc.

We are from NYC and Boston and we are no stranger to the city life; however Houston seems to have some problems. Am I wrong?

What we need to for a living situation is the following:
- 70lb dog, boxer mix very friendly
- live near a park to take the dog, biking, etc
- near a river or water to use our stand-up paddleboards
- pool
- I will work in Katy and my Girl will most likely work closer to downtown in a hospital (Physical Therapist)

We had been checking out the areas around Memorial Park which has included the Heights and some areas of Washington Ave. They seem to be "up & coming areas" but still with some problems. Is the "burbs" the answer? We would prefer to be in the city, but with me traveling a lot for work this might not be safe for my girl.

Any feedback would help. Thanks!
If you're coming from NYC/Boston, you already know how to handle Houston's crime. Same rules (don't mess with strangers, don't open the door to someone you don't know, keep your car doors locked, keep the door to your house locked while you're inside, don't leave valuables on the car seat, etc etc).

Houston has no zoning. You'll have multi-million dollar homes literally across the street from slums (this is not a whole lot different from NYC, where you'll have -humanity- walking down 5th Avenue in front of zillion-dollar-park-view buildings).

Just take normal precautions and you'll be fine.

Heights/Washington Ave. sounds like your kind of place. For an alternative, check out City Centre. Lots of young urbanites there, convenient location (Beltway 8 and IH 10) for both of you, new, very nice. Also, Terry Hershey Park nearby---25 mile long park alongside the Bayou. Lots of dog-walking area available (Houston is exceedingly dog-centric, you'll fit right in with the rest of us...).

Welcome to Houston!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 AM

125 posts, read 201,860 times
Talked to an elder at my church here in Amarillo who has a concealed carry permit, he says he rarely carries unless he's going out of town.

He says that if he lived in Houston (where we're moving in May 2011), he'd never go anywhere without carrying.

Judging by the Houston TV station web sites I check frequently, I think he's probably right.

You can get killed in Houston just walking into a store. Some of the crooks don't even give you a chance to cooperate, they just shoot you.

Of course, it's not a war-zone everywhere, all the time. But it's bad enough, often enough to always be mindful of it.

I'm getting my permit before we move there in May.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,777,133 times
Is this another Chad.Roper character?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM

8,951 posts, read 14,093,599 times
It's Houston, not Dodge City. A huge number of people do not carry guns. Stay out of bars on Telephone Road and stay out of the bad zip codes at night - and your chances of violent crime go down quite a bit.

Knock on wood, I have yet to personally experience any crime, after being here about 35 years. Like Malvie said, use normal precautions, and you won't experience even petty crime very much, if at all.

You can't leave your doors unlocked, but that's true now even in the town of 5000 I grew up in.

There are areas of town I would not help newcomers buy homes, but that surely is true of any large city.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM

798 posts, read 2,034,660 times
I've lived in Houston for 33 years, and Im not dead yet.

I even grew up on Antoine/Little York. THE HORROR!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,868,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
You can get killed in Houston just walking into a store. Some of the crooks don't even give you a chance to cooperate, they just shoot you.
Really, those are few and far between, and seem to happen most often in parts of town where there are either lots and lots of apartments/transients, and/or areas of town with bad reputations. And many of the murders in Houston are by people who know each other, and/or are associated with each other (often through the "wrong" crowd.)

I've been here over a decade now and have had zero problems with crime, knock on wood. I've lived in the city limits and then in the nearby 'burbs, as I do now. I've always worked in the city limits. I actually had more problems with crime living in Austin, hard as it may be to believe, both property and violent crime.

To the OP: Houston's crime rates are higher than present-day NYC, but lower than Chicago I believe. If you're already accustomed to "big city" life, you know what rules to follow in general, and will probably be fine.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:49 PM

125 posts, read 201,860 times
I understand the vast majority of people in Houston (or anywhere else) live their lives without any direct contact with crime. Didn't mean to come off like I thought it was the Wild West in Houston. I just know that it doesn't always happen to someone else, and it's simply prudent to be aware.

I check out concealed carry message boards for info about these issues, and am struck by how many of these guys seem just itching to shoot someone...

"When I'm in the drive-through at MacDonalds, I'm watching the bushes next to the speaker. Got my piece in a console-mounted holster in case someone tries to leap at me while I've got the window down giving my order".

That's a bit over-the-top to me.

I just think it's wise to be prepared. Additionally, at my age (53), I know that as we get older, we start looking like easy targets to some of these guys.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM

3,702 posts, read 15,928,921 times
Well, if you are looking for water or a river living closer to downtown won't help you. Katy is closer to the Brazos River.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,252,078 times
You can get your paddle board to Clear Lake in about 30-35 minutes non-peak from the Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or