U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 17,812,151 times
Reputation: 5139

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftjoe12 View Post
You aren't allowed to ask for a mainly white neighborhood. Feel free to just ask about any other race, color, or ethnicity though. That is politically correct. The neighborhoods they don't tell you about are white.
Okay, so I had to LOL at this. So true.

I always thought it was strange, though, that anyone would ask this question for any race. Just so bizarre!

 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
 
3,107 posts, read 8,030,631 times
Reputation: 2248
Oh...this could get entertaining.

We need an eating-popcorn-emoticon here.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 22,768,361 times
Reputation: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
For those who haven't seen this yet, here is an interesting interactive tool from the NY Times website utilizing census data from 2005-9 that will answer the OP's question. Very interesting site (not just for finding all-white neighborhoods).
Wow, that is an interesting map. It was interesting to see how some demographics have changed in certain neighborhoods over the past 10 years and some have stayed the same for 50 some years.

PS- I did look at Sugarland and The Woodlands, and was surprised to see that Asian was closing in on being the majority in Sugarland in most areas, and the front of The Woodlands is becoming increasing "diverse."
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Sugar Land
145 posts, read 333,636 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftjoe12 View Post
You aren't allowed to ask for a mainly white neighborhood. Feel free to just ask about any other race, color, or ethnicity though. That is politically correct. The neighborhoods they don't tell you about are white.
I don't recall any other threads where people have requested exclusively black, Hispanic, or other single-ethnicity neighborhoods. There have been many posts where people have sought to identify areas where they would feel comfortable - as in not discriminated against and perhaps with a few familiar culturally familiar amenities nearby - based on their race, religion or culture. This person is not seeking an area where a white person can feel comfortable, which would be perfectly appropriate for somebody moving to a new area known for its diversity and worried about fitting in; he or she is asking in barely-veiled terms for an area where segreation is still practiced. Big difference.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM
 
9,781 posts, read 7,647,539 times
Reputation: 6160
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Is this near the outlet off 290?
Klein stops at 249.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
 
21 posts, read 64,086 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftjoe12 View Post
You aren't allowed to ask for a mainly white neighborhood. Feel free to just ask about any other race, color, or ethnicity though. That is politically correct. The neighborhoods they don't tell you about are white.

True, at first I wanted to ask whit who I prefer not to live but I tough probably it would be more polite to ask with who I want to live, but anyway I just mentioned White and many get offended.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
I don't recall any other threads where people have requested exclusively black, Hispanic, or other single-ethnicity neighborhoods. There have been many posts where people have sought to identify areas where they would feel comfortable - as in not discriminated against and perhaps with a few familiar culturally familiar amenities nearby - based on their race, religion or culture. This person is not seeking an area where a white person can feel comfortable, which would be perfectly appropriate for somebody moving to a new area known for its diversity and worried about fitting in; he or she is asking in barely-veiled terms for an area where segreation is still practiced. Big difference.
I so agreee with this. It's common for blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and other races to ask a question similar to the OP's (not in a bizzare form) since we as blacks and other races are outnumbered by whites; no matter where you go you will 90% of the time see whites.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 22,768,361 times
Reputation: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
no matter where you go you will 90% of the time see whites.
Since you haven't been to Houston before, you don't understand this is NOT the case here.

PS- I've seen plenty of threads on here looking for AA communities.

Houston doesn't practice segregation anywhere, but ALL races seem to want to cling together to some extent. That's why Houston has Chinatown,Sugarland,Riverside Terrace and Bunker Hill.
 
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I so agreee with this. It's common for blacks, Asians, Hispanics, and other races to ask a question similar to the OP's (not in a bizzare form) since we as blacks and other races are outnumbered by whites; no matter where you go you will 90% of the time see whites.
And I suppose just moving to a place you like regardless of race is out of the question?
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,412 posts, read 2,132,262 times
Reputation: 1620
I didn't have a problem with the OP wanting to find a mainly white neighborhood. But I did have a problem when they wanted educated hispanics in the area along with the mostly white groups. Even in threads where one is asking for ethnic neighborhoods they never ask for specific groups of ethnic groups to bring into the mix of the dominate ethnic group in the area. I don't know if the threadstarter was joking because I've heard white forum members complain about minorities looking for minority dominate neighborhoods before or what. Like I stated I have no problem if they were looking for a mainly white area in the city. It's that "educated hispanic" that I didn't care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top