U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM

2,783 posts, read 5,862,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
OP is black though.
OP is "not white." Unless I missed something he didn't say what race/ethnicity he was.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I won't even attempt to read this whole thread, but you can use census results to find areas more to your liking.

Mapping America ‚€” Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
Interesting, this shows the 'trendy' parts of the inner loop are whiter than most suburbs. And unless I just turned color blind, the inner loop appears to the be the most segregated part of the metro. Sounds perfect for the OP if you ask me.....

Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 AM

8,951 posts, read 14,089,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Interesting, this shows the 'trendy' parts of the inner loop are whiter than most suburbs. And unless I just turned color blind, the inner loop appears to the be the most segregated part of the metro. Sounds perfect for the OP if you ask me.....
The price range is $140-190K.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
The price range is $140-190K.
He didn't discount condos or lofts? With continuing gentrification it will only get whiter.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
...and there's your credibility taking a flying leap out a 50 story window.

Stop beating around the bush. Tell us why the US government wants to oppress it's own citizens--specificially black people.
So you believe that people in the government are all about morals and ethics. It's some things that you just want understand. Why do people single out others because of the color of there skin? It happens. It's not a urban legend I live it. And since you fail to believe the obvious I'll provide you with evidence right from the horses mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4SzBwjVqI0

Also are you familiar with the Iran Contra Hearings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KcY...eature=related

Oppression is successful for those that control a nation. This country was built on oppression and still carries out those same practices to this day. The system is set up where everybody can't be on the same level. And Clearly theres money to be made with so many american citizens in prisons across America.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM

145 posts, read 333,719 times
It sounds as if the OP may not be originally from this country and meant no offense by his/her request for information. It is true that people generally tend to cluster around those similar in some way to themselves and that wishing to live in a neighborhood where white culture (whatever that is) is prevalent is certainly a valid choice one can make.

If my assumption is correct, however, I would suggest that the OP educate him/herself on the turbulent history of race relations in this country - especially in this corner of it. While racism is by no means extinct here, Houston is blessed to be counted among the places where real progress away from the twisted ideas and policies of the past is evident in everyday life. In using the phrase "mainly white neighborhood", the OP has conjured up images, intentionally or not, of those last bastions of segregation and exclusivisim that still exist.

I am white and can attest that it is not especially hard to be so in this country, as asserted, nor is it a case of political correctness run amok to acknowledge the reality that white racism still exists in some corners. It is similarly true that the ugly head of racism raises itself in and against all cultures and that, in any form, it is unacceptable in this day and age. I personally donít find it oppressive or bizarre to recognize cultural differences, as well as the similarities we all share, or to be mindful of them in choosing my language when discussing the often-sensitive matters pertaining to race.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
It sounds as if the OP may not be originally from this country and meant no offense by his/her request for information. It is true that people generally tend to cluster around those similar in some way to themselves and that wishing to live in a neighborhood where white culture (whatever that is) is prevalent is certainly a valid choice one can make.

If my assumption is correct, however, I would suggest that the OP educate him/herself
I would suggest that the OP educate himself period.

Looking for a neighborhood that is mainly... is racist unless the .... stands for something like safe, well maintained etc.

Nothing wrong in looking for a neighborhood with people you have things in common with, but looking for one that excludes others, ie, mainly so and so, that is racist.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM

2,783 posts, read 5,862,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Oppression is successful for those that control a nation. This country was built on oppression and still carries out those same practices to this day. The system is set up where everybody can't be on the same level. And Clearly theres money to be made with so many american citizens in prisons across America.
There will always be those who succeed despite the challenges in front of them, and others who fail and use the same challenges as an excuse.

We all have those choices. The obvious fallacy in Redlionjr's argument is that plenty of Afro American and other so called oppressed peoples don't make bad choices such as using drugs, committing crimes, etc. And that's why they are not in prison or addicted to drugs. By virtue of this his thesis flies right out the window.

But still, it's fun to blame the Man and get all huffy and demand something for nothing. Fight the power!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

21 posts, read 64,114 times
Thank you for your answer, I think I have to change the way I make the question, it seems I have offended some people. You are totally right.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,132,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
There will always be those who succeed despite the challenges in front of them, and others who fail and use the same challenges as an excuse.

We all have those choices. The obvious fallacy in Redlionjr's argument is that plenty of Afro American and other so called oppressed peoples don't make bad choices such as using drugs, committing crimes, etc. And that's why they are not in prison or addicted to drugs. By virtue of this his thesis flies right out the window.

But still, it's fun to blame the Man and get all huffy and demand something for nothing. Fight the power!
I'm sorry rb4browns but do you understand the meaning of excuse? What I displayed was no excuse but it was basically facts. I don't think you comprehend the meaning. Let me give you websters meaning of the term excuse.

Quote:
ex∑cuse/ikˈskyo͞os/
Noun: A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.
Quote:
fact   
Ėnoun
something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true:
That description is alot more accurate to my post. Now direct me to anywhere in my post where I stated that Jherri-curl americans my bad Afro Americans(wow didn't know we still went by Afro americans) made no bad choices in life and were not responsible for there own actions? I understand racist like you fail to think outside the box? You love to conform to mainstream standards of society. It benefits a prejudice sheep like you in a way. And btw I think I've succeeded so far in my mid 20s. And it's only the beginning. I didn't know you yourself owned a fortune 500 company redneckb4browns? Astonishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston