Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Mom2Feebs - I don't think it's bizarre but maybe that's because I am not white. I'm sure I would never be able to understand how a black, American Indian or white person feels about certain situations simply because I don't have the same cultural history or life experiences. But I guess that could be said about just anything in life.

My parents have been in this country for 40 yrs and raised us in an all white community where all our friends and the services around us were dominated by white people. While the color of that community has changed in that time, it's still predominantly white. It's neither good nor bad. It's just the way it is.

I've been in this country for all but 3 yrs of my life but still find a sense of camaraderie when I come across fellow Filipinos - whether at church, at our neighborhood parks, etc...it's a common thread - we share a language, the same types of recipes and cultural traditions. We can relay jokes in our language that are so not funny if you tell it to a non-Filipino. Lost in the translation.

My husband is of German descent but has absolutely no interest or ties to any German community. I've asked him about any German foods/traditions he wants to introduce to our children and to my disappointment, lol, he grew up with none!

I guess what I'm trying to say in a long-winded fashion is that I don't find it uncommon for people to want to live amongst people who share the same ethnic culture. Where I tend to get frustrated is when the same folks segregate themselves to the point of being stand-offish and not wanting to incorporate at least some of American life into their own.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 PM

12 posts, read 23,664 times
I dont normally respond to such posts...while the desire to want to be around a certain set of folks can be understood and respected, I guess I will never understand people using that as the basis when relocating to a diverse and multicultural city as Houston.....

Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
From listening to you guys, it seems like at the rate Houston is diversifying, a 7 figure neighborhood that is mostly white will be hard to find.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by higces View Post
I am sorry if I have offended anyone, I am not even white but I didn't know that the fact that I like white neighborhoods was offensive for some people, it is not a racial thing I am not even white, but I like the way most American white families live, I am open to diversity, but I had a bad experience before because I bought a House and the neighborhood became mainly afro-american and I am sorry to say it but it became really bad.
It must be hard to be a white, when someone can not even say that he or she likes white neighborhoods =)
That's a boldface lie. I think you are white you just don't want to come off as racist. Usually someone who isn't white but would prefer a white area in the city would immediately tell the forum what race/ethnicity/nationality they were. You have failed to do so which shows me that you are white. And even if you're not white you still have a racist idiotic mentality. And no i'm not sorry if I offended you. I'm almost hoping you're being funny but being hit in the face with racism from non blacks my whole life I'm not shocked by the ignorance. If you're not white you choose to identify with being white. Whats wrong you hate who you are as a person. Awwwww I'm so sowwy Sucks to be you. Houston would not be the city for you and I would advise you to not step foot in the city. Oh don't get me wrong, it's plenty of people in Houston that probably share your same views. But you'll be reminded of AFRO Americans everyday if you live in Houston or less "educated" hispanics.

And since it's obvious you are a little slow, nobody is offended that you would choose to pick a mainly white neighborhood. Its the fact you're dissecting ethnic groups based on "education" and a few bad experiences and generalizing other ethnic groups. Nothing wrong with being around people you feel comfortable. But do you have to generalize others to be comfortable. Huh you big dummy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas1 View Post
Unfortunately this statement basically true....
Let's step back and understand why things are the way they are before you throw blanket statements around. Black neighborhoods in the past had low crime rates and you could more then likely probably find higher crime activities in some white neighborhoods in different cities or at least on the same level. It wasn't till integration when the crime rates started going up in the black neighborhoods. Integration led to the downfall of black owned businesses that supported the communities. Integration led to blacks moving into inner cities which led to WHITE FLIGHT. Which took jobs out of the city and more so in suburbs. No jobs led to depression, depression led to drugs and alcohol. This led to bigger divisions in black communities. Black organizations that were for progressing the black conditions in black communities were targeted by the CIA/FBI/etc. and shut down and seen as terrorist. CIA also help put Crack into black communities. (Before you state "well blacks had no business doing it in the first place) Every group of people had some kind of relationship with drugs. Crack made conditions much worst across America. It was a process that led to the destruction of most black communities. A destruction that wasn't necessarily created by us. When you have problems on top of problems on top of problems you get those type of conditions. Black America has been through a Great Depression since integration. I state Great Depression because during the Great Depression you saw some of the same conditions going on in white communities all across America. Not to mention during the Prohibition era you saw mass acts of violence. You can compare that to the illegalisation of drugs and sentences in America that specifically target people of color. When you make something illegal you create a black market that will lead to very bad behavior. No different then a rise in organize crime amongst many white communities during Prohibition.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Our diverse communities are what they are and we can only hope and strive to make them better and ensure that there is enough understanding and respect between them. I rather look forward and focus my energy in that direction rather than pointing who did what and who did wrong. You will see unfairness and oppression all over the world, over and over again, but pointing fingers at each other is not the way to escape it and make it work. Making it work is doing it together and it all starts with respect.

On a personal note I traveled all over the world including USA and I couldn't help to notice that each community runs and maintains their neighborhoods different way than others. Some of them are very well kept and some of them are way run down and that aspect was a primary factor in me choosing a place to live and bring up my kids. I hope that is not racist but is fact of life. But even in half mill and up neighborhoods you could still have various communities doing they own thing to some extent,but then the HOA kicks in...... So the prices of the houses is indirectly a segregation factor which sometime work in everyones advantage and that' capitalist America at work....

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 AM

21 posts, read 81,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
It shouldn't be hard to find a mostly white neighborhood in that range, but if she wants an exclusively white neighborhood (as in 90% or above) I think she will have it hard. You might be able to find something in The woodlands in the cheaper areas (is there any?) though....
I am not looking for a exclusivily white neighborhood, I guess I should change the way I made my question. I think even in the most dinerse of the subdivisions it will be always a tendency

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
I won't even attempt to read this whole thread, but you can use census results to find areas more to your liking.

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM

243 posts, read 487,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
CIA also help put Crack into black communities.
...and there's your credibility taking a flying leap out a 50 story window.

Stop beating around the bush. Tell us why the US government wants to oppress it's own citizens--specificially black people.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 AM

295 posts, read 1,169,259 times
OP is black though.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
I think what you really want is a neighborhood where the houses and yards are well-maintained; the property values are stable; and the schools are good. Everything else takes care of itself. Skin tones will most likely cover the spectrum in that neighborhood - that's Houston and that's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston