U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikeUT View Post
I just recently moved in a house in Willowbend (Willow Meadows just next door). Anybody have any thoughts about these neighborhoods (good and bad)? I like it so far, but not sure what the future holds for the area. I dont see South Post Oak getting any new restuarants/shops and stuff like that to make it more appealing of a street. It seems like a quiet area, just figured i would see more younger couples such as myself. Older people are just fine, but not sure what will happen to neighborhood in 10 years?

Thanks
I moved into that area in 2007, purchased a house from the widow of the man that built it in 1955. The neighborhood was predominantly original residents going back to the subdivision of the old Meyer Ranch when Willowbend was really way out in sticks. Even in four years I am seing more and more young people with their children replacing the original residents. The neighborhoods are turning over. A lot of young professionals moving in since this is one of the areas that is reasonably close to everything and affordable (as neighborhoods like Tanglewood, Bellaire and Braeswood were about thirty years ago). The Westbury/Red school zoning does not bring much prestige and is one of the things that has kept the properties affordable, but Johnston and Roberts used to carry the same sort of stigmas. There have been rumors of re-zoning Willow Meadows and parts of Willowbend to Bellaire H.S., but those are just rumors at the moment.

The neighborhood is a good value, excellent mothers' group and neighborhood watch, the schools are questionable but likely to change drastically over the next decade. My overall impression is that the young people in the neighborhood are very involved and proactively trying to change things. It is a matter of time before S. Post Oak gets a facelift North of South Willow. It's still a pretty rank wildcat for investors, but it's going to happen given time.

The neighborhood has real problems that may not be easily resolved and it remains a risky investment; I'm not trying to give you a sunshine enema or guarantee against losing money in your house, but I think the chances of a very nice upper-middle class neighborhood flourishing in the future are very good. This isn't the next West U. or inner loop Bellaire (as many like to say), but it is a good neighborhood with a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
Not trying to scare any potential buyers, but has anyone heard about the crimes that have recently occurred in the neighborhood, perhaps its the rough times but recently there have quite a few more break-ins than usual.
Yes, there has been a lot of smash-and-grab going on. I think it definitely has to do with the tough times. Someone has figured out that a lot of these old houses with attached garages have poor security from living space to garage space and that these old garages are easy to get into.

I found someone snooping around in my backyard neighbor's driveway last week. He has been having some work done and I assumed this was a workman (and he may very well have been) but I didn't like the way he acted when he noticed me observing him. Makes me a little quicker to judge with all this stuff going on.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM

6,401 posts, read 9,108,275 times
I live just north of West Bellfort in Willow Meadows & nothing has happened in a good while it is a really safe part of the neighborhood. Only thing I have notice there are a lot of cement mixers driving down West Bellfort toward Meyer park doing 45 to 60 mph at 4:30 to 6:30 am

Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Yes, there has been a lot of smash-and-grab going on. I think it definitely has to do with the tough times. Someone has figured out that a lot of these old houses with attached garages have poor security from living space to garage space and that these old garages are easy to get into.

I found someone snooping around in my backyard neighbor's driveway last week. He has been having some work done and I assumed this was a workman (and he may very well have been) but I didn't like the way he acted when he noticed me observing him. Makes me a little quicker to judge with all this stuff going on.
It has been going on EVERYWHERE it seems. I guess a sign of the times. Even where I am it is usually pretty quiet within the neighborhood, then we had a rash of break ins. They caught two of them though. All it takes is a couple of bad apples and you have an instant crime wave.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,915 times
I've lived in Willowbend for 12 years and now in Willow Meadows for 19 years. Both neighborhoods are islands of safety in this part of Houston--based on police reports on crime. Our home values have increased incredibly in the past 10 years. My neighbor's home (a very simple ranch style) sold within two weeks with an asking price of $389,000. My daughters went to River Oaks Elem in the gifted-talented program--but one spent her kinder year at Red Elem--three of the childhood friends she made at that time and kept through the years went on to Johnston & Bellaire, and are all very successfully being educated at UT/Austin. These are great neighborhoods!! Yes, in my opinion,this area is poised to become the next West U!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM

124 posts, read 261,685 times
Default Meyer Park Development

Freshest Info:

http://edge-re.com/Properties/Houston-MeyerParkCenter_WithBand.pdf

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,240 times
I went to check out the area today it looks very nice the old lubys is close and the new one is almost complete the kohls looks HUGE and it say it going to open in late September and they put alot of landscapping because of these two projects i curious what is next i look at the site plan from the edge website and there alot of pad sites and more land next to kohls rumors it that academy is going to open there that will make me so happy does anyone no??

Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 AM

6,401 posts, read 9,108,275 times
I do not think there ia enough room to build anything else as big as a Academy there is enough space to build 2 maybe 3 smaller stores like a cellphone shoe or a small specialty store

Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,240 times
http://edge-re.com/Properties/Houston-MeyerParkCenter_WithBand.pdf (broken link)

on this website it say they still have 80,000 square feet of future development so they might still built the academy

Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM

124 posts, read 261,685 times
Looks like some activity has begun on the Willow Waterhole Project East of S. Post Oak. A job trailer has gone up along with some new signage. I wouldn't be surprised to see some excavation soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or