Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 PM

69 posts, read 217,407 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Houston this Setember. Our 22 month old is receiving speech services through the early intervention program in our county. Does anyone know how early intervention is handled in Houston? Any success stories or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 PM

179 posts, read 858,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgiordano View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Houston this Setember. Our 22 month old is receiving speech services through the early intervention program in our county. Does anyone know how early intervention is handled in Houston? Any success stories or advice?

Tomball ISD has a really superb PPCD program. My son had speech apraxia and was in PPCD when he was 3 and 4. I heard horror stories from friends in Cy fair, Conroe (the Woodlands) and Klein but when it came time for the ARD meeting I had no problems at all. I was ready to fight but didn't have to.

ECI ends at 3 when the public school system starts. We had ECI out of Conroe until 3. We also used a speech pathologist at a TX Children's Center once a week and he was in a MDO 2X a week. He was busy but I believe the school really helped him. Next year he will be in 2nd grade and was one of the best readers in his class.

Good luck. I recommend the book "The Late Talker".

Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM

69 posts, read 217,407 times
Thank you so much for the advice and it sounds like your son is doing great. Thanks for the book rec.-I am going to order it online.

Right now I am still living in NY before we relocate and all services up until the age of 5 are provided for free to children who qualify for services. Does Texas require parents to share costs?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM

179 posts, read 858,334 times
If they do now I'm not sure. I didn't have to pay a penny 3 years ago.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 PM

37 posts, read 207,229 times
my daughter didn't have a severe problem, just slight delays. but the school districts must provide services for their residents. my daughter was tested and attended therapy through the local elementary school (her appropriate program for her issues) for free. we are in Spring Branch ISD. my neighbor is a speech therapist for our district and I can ask her more about it if you would like.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 AM

103 posts, read 438,034 times
Not sure about the school services, but pick up any Family Mag for the Houston area and you will see plenty of private services ads. I was amazed!
Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 80,862 times
ECI is available throughout Texas for children from birth to age 3, at which time they transition into PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities) in their local school district. ECI Keep Pace serves from Humble to Galveston, so it covers a good deal of the Houston area. Services are free for children who are Visually Impaired (VI) or Auditorially Impaired (AI), and are provided on a sliding scale (based on income) for others. You can look up ECI on the internet or call your local school for contact information.

The PPCD programs vary from district to district, but will usually offer an array of services from Speech only to complete half or whole day programs for students with multiple needs. In Humble, they have "walk in" speech only, a four hour (over two days) program called STEPS for speech and language, a co-taught PPCD (part special needs kids, part reg ed kids) and PPCD classes (2-4 hours a day depending on need). The child must be tested and placed in a district program, if he qualifies, by his third birthday if he is already been receiving services through ECI.

ECI has it's own service providers for speech, OT, PT, and overall case managers, but uses district personnel for AI and VI. Services are typically delivered in the home.

I was a district AI teacher who also worked with ECI, so I'm pretty familiar with the procedures. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 15,202 times
I have moved to Spring, TX and having difficulties finding speech therapy for 2 1/2 year old with Apraxia

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

103 posts, read 438,034 times
Please check out the Harris County Dept. of Education site-- Programs and Services-- ECI and find a point of contact there. They should be able to lead you in the right direction. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,202 times
Have had an ECI speech therapist coming to the house for 6 weeks now and 2 1/2 year old just ignores her. He loved his speech therapist in Minneapolis and would sit with her and repeat, sing, and color, cut and paste. Sure wish I could find an Apraxia support and/or play group here in the Houston area. Maybe moving in October has promoted some of issues, but son seems to be loosing words he used before we moved and not progressing. I have a 11 month old too so am kept busy, but don't want to neglect exposing my son to as much stimulus as possible in these formatative years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston