U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 32,765 times

Advertisements

I am a potential first-time home buyer and am facing a few critical questions:

1. Is it better to go for a 20-year used home in the Spring branch ISD but really close to office (0.5 miles from workplace) as opposed to a new home in the Alief ISD (6.5 miles from workplace) or a new home in Katy ISD (15 miles from workplace)? Or is it better to go with a townhouse/condo or stick to an apartment until in future, our kid(s) are ready to go to school?

2. We like the proposed home in the Alief ISD near the Richmond/Hwy 6 intersection, but is it really worth it based on school records / crime rate / resale values etc? We do not have any kids yet but may be 7 years down the lane, it will be time to think about good elementary schools. So what's the best way to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

9,274 posts, read 23,238,522 times
"used home?"...ok, whatever.

Seriously though, what part of SBISD? If it's on the southside of 10 it would be my first choice. Certain sections of the northside, it would be my first choice. But since you are including Alief and Katy in your search I'm assuming it's a transitional north side.
neighborhood.
If that's the fact I would go for KATY if your children need to hit all the schools now. SBISD northside if they are years off from middle school, then Alief third. The reason I say that is the northside of 10 is changing very quickly, the schools getting better every year and the property values climbing. But if you need schools now, then it's not for you.

SBISD seems to appreciate, Katy stays level. I'm not to sure what goes on in Alief.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM

8,984 posts, read 14,530,491 times
Alief goes down. You'll not even get your money out of a new Alief House for a loooooong time to come.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,565,976 times
Don't buy in Alief. It isn't even about the schools. Cheryjohns is right. No resale whatsoever.

Alief has affected the value of our house in Barrington Place (north Sugar Land) and the value of our cousin's house in Meadows Place. It's that bad.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all your responses, but are "all" areas in Alief really that bad? I was looking at the north Alief area at the intersection of Hwy 6 and Richmond Ave at the west of Houston in zip code 77082. Are you saying that the neighbourhood is not safe even if the community is gated? Is there a good website which gives an idea of the resale property values of a particular area? Also, are there at least some elementary / middle /high schools that are rated exemplary in Alief ISD?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM

2,609 posts, read 7,201,917 times
The ratings do not mean you would want to send your kids there. It would take decades to get your money back on a home in Alief. I would stick with SBISD and be close in. You will most likely make more money on resale esp if you put in some upgrade money.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

The Spring Branch area of my interest is north of I-10 off Kirkwood beside the Addicks reservoir. The houses I see here have a traditional, classy look but all are used and range between 10-30 years. May be because of the SBISD, or the Energy Corridor offices being really closeby or the posh Memorial nearby, the prices for a 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2 storey ranges between $200k-$290k here. On your comment on used home upgrades, should I ask the seller/realtor about deducting upgrade cost of $15k-$20k right away when negotiating price for these old homes. Any comments on resale value of such used homes 10 years down the lane? Are schools and easy commute to workplace still the governing factor over new yet cheaper constructions in the Houston real estate market? I have only talked to the K.Hovnanian builders who are offering good deals in north Alief between Elridge and Hwy 6 on Richmond but have no idea if they are among the best.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM

9,274 posts, read 23,238,522 times
That's the Wickchester area right? It's a small area, but go to the good schools. Yes, I would chose that area over Alief/new construction.

While those homes haven't appreciated as much as the south side, they are appreciating. The seperation created by the freeway keeps the prices lower. But as this city packs in, it will appreciate more due to the schools,EC location and proximity to MCM,CityCentre and higher property values of Memorial. Also, there's a little more traffic on that side because of the proximity of office buildings west of Kirkwood.

As to negotiating price, you can always add up what you think improvements will cost and subtract that from the price and start from there.

Remember the basic rule of Real Estate buy the best LOCATION you can afford. you can always upgrade the house.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
That's the Wickchester area right? It's a small area, but go to the good schools. Yes, I would chose that area over Alief/new construction.

Remember the basic rule of Real Estate buy the best LOCATION you can afford. you can always upgrade the house.
She's absolutely right.

Your realtor will pull the sales comps of comparable homes (condition included) when you go to decide the offer price. That's the figures that matter.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalzick View Post
If you're one of those bag holders counting on home value appreciation then you're in the wrong city altogether. Like the person above thinking Alief affected home prices in 'North Sugarland'. Alief was there already before that area of Sugarland came to be. In fact that area is THE worst and is the bad part of Alief. Apparently, they got duped with high home valuation for having a Sugarland address.

If you want a grand entry into the subdivision and pay $1000/yr so that other people can use the pool then go with the masterplanned neighborhoods. Schools are great IF you end up on the right side of the street! Everything else goes downhill from there. Most neighborhoods in the Houston area deteriorate fast, that is if it starts with a big name and is *affordable*.

I do have a brand new house and will sell eventually still I do not recommend 'used houses' and mature(read : old) neighborhoods in Houston.

Postpone the elegant life, save some money and energy(getting to work).
Yeah, like West University, Bellaire, Nottingham Forest, Memorial Bend, Hunters Creek, Wilchester, Westchester, Gaywood, piney Point, Bunker Hill, Lakeside Forest. Oh, wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or