U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Houston
6 posts, read 8,722 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I really want to apply my IT Security skills in a government job, but I am open to other companies as well if the pay is right. I need someone who knows how to get people into government jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
 
724 posts, read 1,423,488 times
Reputation: 710
Recruiters only recruit for private sector jobs because governments don't pay them commission. I would try usajobs.com or look online for the various county and city jobs around town (i.e., harris county, city of houston, city of sugarland, ft. bend county, etc). Although, please look for private sector work also because government hiring practices are ridiculously slow because there is no pressing need such as a need for profit to get positions filled so positions will languish unfilled indefintely. Also, the people who have the positions exercise an informal preference system for their friends. You may be wasting your time with lots of job postings because a government policy requires them to post it but they actually have their candidate already lined up. You generally don't get that in the private sector. They aren't going to waste time with an interview if they have their job filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Also, the people who have the positions exercise an informal preference system for their friends. You may be wasting your time with lots of job postings because a government policy requires them to post it but they actually have their candidate already lined up. You generally don't get that in the private sector. They aren't going to waste time with an interview if they have their job filled.
This TOTALLY happens in the private sector, too! It is human nature.

Just like the government sector, the private sector will go ahead with interviews, too, even though they have a preferred candidate already, because of EEOC laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
 
724 posts, read 1,423,488 times
Reputation: 710
Preferences definitely happen in the private sector! Sorry to imply otherwise. My point though was you probably won't have your time wasted interviewing if they don't want to hire you. Whereas in government, they will interview you and make some long drawn out process only to give the job to their preferred candidate / friend. Maybe the large companies will do this though. But, there's definitely less of it.

In the private sector, if you have a skill that is in demand then you will likely be hired somewhere. In the public sector, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:44 AM
 
Location: A little suburb of Houston
3,702 posts, read 15,923,098 times
Reputation: 2047
I can tell you right now that you will have a hard time. Don't know about all government jobs, but Harris County has a hiring freeze and Houston is putting folks on furlough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land
2,465 posts, read 4,797,309 times
Reputation: 2733
JDA Professional Services and ask for James... He is very well connected in the private and public sector in Houston. If you know your stuff he will secure you a job.

Houston IT Executive Search and Recruiting Agency, IT Staffing, Consultants and Recruiters - JDA Professional Services, Inc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by landen99 View Post
I really want to apply my IT Security skills in a government job, but I am open to other companies as well if the pay is right. I need someone who knows how to get people into government jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Houston
6 posts, read 8,722 times
Reputation: 13
The JDA referral is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I didn't see a place to ask for anyone, but I'll keep his name in mind. Might be easier to reference your name to him, if you would be so kind.

I know that people earmark jobs for friends and in the government so much more so, but I also know that finding a recruiter who has connections/friends helps the earmarking turn to my advantage. Finding a recruiter with experience in how to apply to government jobs increases my changes too. This is what I am looking for. I know govt is slow, but they get faster with the right pressure from higher up and the right influence from outside friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land
2,465 posts, read 4,797,309 times
Reputation: 2733
I don't like the government jobs nor the way they run their business:

1. They don't pay well
2. Way to bureaucratic
3. Way too many idiots in charge that can't be touched and fired

As a consultant I worked with various government outfits like NASA, NSA, CIA and even locally here with various agencies in City of Houston...I worked at B, C & D level and is all the same.

Let me put in perspective for you. Do you ever go to USPS to mail something? What is your first impression? Well, the government environment is no different than that, just a bigger scale. Good luck to you mate if that is what you like....



Quote:
Originally Posted by landen99 View Post
The JDA referral is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I didn't see a place to ask for anyone, but I'll keep his name in mind. Might be easier to reference your name to him, if you would be so kind.

I know that people earmark jobs for friends and in the government so much more so, but I also know that finding a recruiter who has connections/friends helps the earmarking turn to my advantage. Finding a recruiter with experience in how to apply to government jobs increases my changes too. This is what I am looking for. I know govt is slow, but they get faster with the right pressure from higher up and the right influence from outside friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Houston
6 posts, read 8,722 times
Reputation: 13
I know that the government cares about electronic security, which is where my skills lie. I am willing to pay a recruiter for a job secured, if it is a government job and they aren't paid by the government. Yes I agree that there are too many idiots in charge that can't be touched but on the other hand, I would get to be one of those idiots too lol. Just kidding. I would be the exception of course. I care too much about being on top of the IT Security game to just stop trying. But the job security is certainly desirable and the benefits could compensate some for the salary. Any other leads or suggestions or referrals?

If not government, please refer me to a good headhunter for IT Security professionals in the private arena. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Reputation: 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by landen99 View Post
I am willing to pay a recruiter for a job secured, if it is a government job and they aren't paid by the government.
There is no such thing as a reputable recruiter where YOU pay...the employing organization is always the one who pays the fees for all recruiting situations except scams. Anyone offering you the opportunity to pay for a job is a con artist.

See: Scams & Schemes in Work and Employment Services: The Riley Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top