U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM

119 posts, read 466,489 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have two young kids (one 6 yds old and one baby), so both will need child seats. Can you suggest a good car for family use. I like to have a safe and reliable car with good mileage. Should I get a 4 door car (like a sedan) or a minivan (like Honda Odyessy or Toyota Sienna)? With a 4 door car, I'm concerned if we need to pick up one more person, there won't be space in the car. With the minivan, you can have more passengers but the mileage is so bad (like 20 MPG). I don't know much about cars. So, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,994,949 times
How about the new Cadillac SRX?

2011 SRX | Luxury Crossover Vehicle | Cadillac#

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,549,684 times
Ford Fusion Hybrid

4 doors, supposedly reliable (i dont own one so i cant say from experience first hand), good price, great mileage, green, all the bells and whistles. you have a kid in a booster seat and a baby so any sedan is likely to be a little cramped with an extra person in there. but you don't necessarily need a van or svu. if i were you id just not plan on entering into any car pool situation

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM

^ Good choice...agreed...or this one...

2011 Buick Enclave | Luxury Crossover | Model Overview | Buick

Old 01-07-2011, 07:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,370,467 times
Volt....

Just kidding.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,312,481 times
Get a car that will give your family a smooth comfortable ride on those long family trips where the "are we there yets" will be kept to a minimum because your kids will be so comfortable they won't even notice the congestion on the highway. Get a car that you can allow kids to change out of school clothes and into soccer uniforms and dance leotards without incurring gasps from other motorists. A car so roomy, you can take nice restful naps while waiting for junior to finish his football practice. Get a car that will keep your kids safe, that stands a fighting chance against an SUV careening through that red light. No gas mileage savings is worth the life of a child...get, yes, get a minivan! And yes, when the kids are no longer kids then get a fancy sportscar or a tiny hybrid, but for now, coolness will have to be set aside for comfort and sanity.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,549,684 times
children, like dogs, also like hanging outside of windows so a Volt might be a good choice

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM

^ Good advice...although you will need to check your 'man card'.... : )

2011 Chevy Traverse Crossover | Crossover SUV | Chevrolet

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,369,634 times
So spot on mate.... +1

For the little monsters we drive a Honda Pilot..... First of all, great safety rating is a must and then everything else mentioned so well in this post.
We drove all the way to Grand Canyon and the kids loved it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Get a car that will give your family a smooth comfortable ride on those long family trips where the "are we there yets" will be kept to a minimum because your kids will be so comfortable they won't even notice the congestion on the highway. Get a car that you can allow kids to change out of school clothes and into soccer uniforms and dance leotards without incurring gasps from other motorists. A car so roomy, you can take nice restful naps while waiting for junior to finish his football practice. Get a car that will keep your kids safe, that stands a fighting chance against an SUV careening through that red light. No gas mileage savings is worth the life of a child...get, yes, get a minivan! And yes, when the kids are no longer kids then get a fancy sportscar or a tiny hybrid, but for now, coolness will have to be set aside for comfort and sanity.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM

119 posts, read 466,489 times
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not sure if SUV will be suitable. My perception of SUV is that it is big and high above ground, so inconvenient for very young kids to get on/off the car. If my kids are 10+ yrs old, then SUV would be considerable. That's my impression. I may be wrong.

I just looked up Ford Fusion Hybrid. If you have two child seats in the back, is there room for one adult to sit in the middle? The price and mileage look great. How is the quality? I heard American car has bad quality. How does Fusion Hybrid compare to Prius? I guess the Fushion Hybrid has break and Prius doesn't!

I like the big room in minivan, but that 20 MPG worries me. We plan to have only one car for awhile since I work from home. With the minivan, I'm sure we'll like the spacious room & comfort inside, and if we go on road trip, I'm sure minivan will be great. But I'm concerned if the 20 MPG will be practical to drive everyday. For example, if the kids are in school or at home and I need to go to the supermarket or run errands, I feel like driving the minivan by myself is wasting gas.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: