U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,847,791 times
Will they ever have flights from Bush Int?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,358,840 times
That is a very touchy story... Maybe is time for me to re-consider my preferred airline. For the past 15 years or so, not sure how long, but it feels like forever, I made a point in always flying Continental as my gesture of supporting the local business and economy. Lately it got really bad as far as the fees and service goes and my assumption was that all airlines are in the same shape.

After reading this story and your feedback and the fact that Continental is moving up north, maybe is a good time to give Southwest a try?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM

7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
That is a very touchy story... Maybe is time for me to re-consider my preferred airline. For the past 15 years or so, not sure how long, but it feels like forever, I made a point in always flying Continental as my gesture of supporting the local business and economy. Lately it got really bad as far as the fees and service goes and my assumption was that all airlines are in the same shape.

After reading this story and your feedback and the fact that Continental is moving up north, maybe is a good time to give Southwest a try?
Southwest is different on many levels. They were the one airline (I think) that hasn't been in financial danger throughout time. You have relaxed pilots and attendants making jokes while the others act like unfeeling robots.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM

607 posts, read 1,057,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Please give me rep points - I am sitting at 1313 and am superstitious!

Thanks - that did it!
Done

Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 PM

2,785 posts, read 4,069,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Its the price, price and price. They are cheaper then everyone!
Not always, in many cases other airlines match their fares in some markets to compete. They deliver a better product that is reflected in on time rates, customer satisfaction, etc.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,686,314 times
I think SW is great, too!

My story:

DH and I flew SW with our 8 month old twins to move to Houston from San Diego. It was an emotional experience enough leaving everyone and everything we knew to move here. Compounded by the fear of having 2 screaming mimi's on a plane was frazzling my nerves.

Aside from being fortunate to have a friend at IAH who arranged airport assistance starting at SAN's curbside, the staff of SW were wonderful. The flight attendants were fantastic, too. Along with airport staff, they helped install the car seats for me, broke our stroller down, held the babies while I made adjustments, etc... One of them fed my son his bottle, holding him at the entrance to the plane while greeting passengers. It was hilarious. When we were taxing for takeoff, she handed me a box of Kleenex - sure enough I started bawling when the plane's nose went up. When my kids woke up about 45 minutes before landing, they took turns holding them and posing for pics. They made what I assumed would be a very stressful experience more than bearable.

I am really glad that SW will have service from IAH to EWR starting June. I just hope that they will maintain the level of service they've managed to sustain all these years. The biggies could take a few pages out of SWA's book.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,358,840 times
You guys sold me on Southwest....I guess our next flight will be Southwest Keep an open mind right?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,686,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
You guys sold me on Southwest....I guess our next flight will be Southwest Keep an open mind right?
The way I see it is that major airlines have eliminated so many in-flight "amenities", continually charging new fees left & right with ever declining customer service; they've become a budget-service carrier but with the same expensive fares. You never seem to know what new fees they've tacked on until you get to the airport.

The difference between them & SWA is that SWA operates on a higher level than those airlines now. They've had years to perfect being a budget airline. They do it efficiently and they do it well and with so little change to their model over the years, there are few surprises to its clients.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM

7,131 posts, read 7,436,501 times
Their passengers don't mess around either...

Passengers subdue man on Southwest flight - CNN

I still think this story was funny - they subdued him with duct tape. That stuff sure comes in handy.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 4,069,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I am really glad that SW will have service from IAH to EWR starting June. I just hope that they will maintain the level of service they've managed to sustain all these years. The biggies could take a few pages out of SWA's book.
Southwest does not fly out of IAH. They fly out of Hobby (HOU).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston