U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM

25 posts, read 59,544 times

Advertisements

hi,
We like one of their new homes in Pine Mill Ranch, and asked the sell agent to give us discount and she offers 20k incentive plus their current monthly promotion of 25k toward upgrades and 9k toward flooring. The house is listed at 379k. We also want to do some customization of a casita which will cost around 37k.
My question is, is this a good amount of incentives, giving the area and such.
It seems quite little to me but again this is our first time buying ready-to built home so we don't know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 4,960,308 times
Not good enough You won't know until you push them harder. See how much you can get outta of them. Negotiation is king If you have the time and the money let them now and wait until they're hungry.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Not good enough You won't know until you push them harder. See how much you can get outta of them. Negotiation is king If you have the time and the money let them now and wait until they're hungry.
Thanks Ethan.
So, in your opinion, what is good enough? I have an agent and she said she'll negotiate with them, but not sure how much discount she can get.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM

How big is the house? What's the price per SQF?

Just throw in some insulting offers, seriosly. After all is your money.... It worked very well for me when purchasing big ticket items, house, pool, cars... If they're hungry they will bite and eat, if not, go next door where they may be more hungry

Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 PM

HI Ethan,

The house with customization of the casita will be around 4700 sqf.
The price per sqf is around $90/sqf.

Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
How big is the house? What's the price per SQF?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Money toward upgrades are just another trick. Make sure the pricing on the various upgrades are not out of touch. Something that may cost them 3K to do and includes their profit, they may charge you 6K for it.

Like in my case they were charging me 6K for a 3K water softener system which actually cost 1.2K from Raine Systems. Now you do the math When they got cought right handed the tone changed.

If they charge a fair amount for the respective upgrades then their incentive toward the upgrades are worth it, but only if the upgrades are fairly priced.

I don't know the area and the selling prices but drop it down to $82/sqf and see how hungry they're. They may come back to you with $85/sqf? Who knows?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,019,554 times
I'm starting to realize there is a lot of terrible advice in this forum. This is a horrible approach.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Why is it horible? It worked for me.. Droped from $145/sqf to $104/sqf. Why is that bad? Why people always pay the asking price? I never understand that...
I built a pool for 38K for which I got quotes of 60K and 56K... Why is that a bad approach? They were hungry and they got my business.....
I got a brand new truck for 21K. They asked from 29K to 26K on various places.... They were hungry and they got my money....

IT WORKS mate.. try it sometime.... cash is KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I'm starting to realize there is a lot of terrible advice in this forum. This is a horrible approach.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Houston,

Can you be more specific to why this is a bad approach? What is the better approach in your opinion?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post

Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

68 posts, read 167,712 times
We had a stupid sales lady (she is no longer with the company). We had her so confused that she was adding wrong. I am a tough bargainer too though. We got the 25K toward upgrades and then another 15K off at the time, but then instead of getting them to drop too much more in price I started making them throw in other things I wanted for free. A better grade of insulation, rebar in the driveway, gutters on the back of the house (not just the front), and various other things inside the home. We also upgraded our elevation and I was able to talk them down quite a bit on just that portion.

Watch the Design Center stuff though - prices changed drastically one cabinets and granite when we went one week to the next. I challenged them on the price increases which I guess they hoped we would never see and won the battle. Just go over everything very carefully.

We are in PMR too and we love our home. We have had very few problems. The construction work was very good. The sales process was the only tough part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston