Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM

153 posts, read 325,873 times

Advertisements

I was right next to the curb. About 1 or 1.5 feet away from it. I didnt start my turn. I was just looking the other way to see if another car was coming. Then he park next to me. He was on the right, I was on the left. So I couldn't see any other car coming. Then he just turn. YEs there are no white markings on that street. It just one lane in, and one lane out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I just wonder.... trucks usually need longer time to start and roll after a stop. Normally you should be ahead of him before he even started to turn.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
I was right next to the curb. About 1 or 1.5 feet away from it. I didnt start my turn. I was just looking the other way to see if another car was coming. Then he park next to me. He was on the right, I was on the left. So I couldn't see any other car coming. Then he just turn. YEs there are no white markings on that street. It just one lane in, and one lane out.
You were less than 2 feet from the curb and he was able to squeeze his truck on your right side? Did he climb over the sidewalk or were you in some other country? Here we drive on the right side of the road.

If you were not moving and he hit your side, then why did the cop have a problem with your story that the truck hit a parked car? Does the damage tell a different story?

Too much not making sense to me here. I am sorry, but I don't know what advise to give other than sit down and think this out and come up with a clear and consistent rendition of the event before you talk to anyone else about it.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
To the OP: was there a language issue/barrier between you and the police officer? I do not mean anything negative by it but your posts do not seem like you are a native speaker. I am guessing that is why its a little harder for him to make it clear. and perhaps why the cop was giving him/her a hard time (esp. after not being able to show a license)

do you know the exact address/location of the intersection you are referring to? then it can be pulled up on google maps and better explained. maybe after looking at this and remembering what happened it will be more clear for you. itd also be something to bring to court along with pictures of the damage to your car. if the car is in impound i suggest you pay to get it out ASAP before it costs you thousands. i dont see why they are holding your car unless that is because they still dont believe you have a drivers license? either way you can still visit your car to take pictures and remove articles from it

if it is truly a single lane and he pulled up on your side AND made a turn, he'd be making an illegal turn. to my knowledge you cant just cut off people like that at an intersection whether you are a truck or not. the damage may not make it clear who hit who or at what point.

when the truck made the turn and struck you, were you also moving? then both of you have some fault. if he was driving irresponsibly you should have not moved forward to allow the larger vehicle to clear the turn. or in the case he was going to hit you anyways back up, if you could

Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
To the OP: was there a language issue/barrier between you and the police officer? I do not mean anything negative by it but your posts do not seem like you are a native speaker. I am guessing that is why its a little harder for him to make it clear. and perhaps why the cop was giving him/her a hard time (esp. after not being able to show a license)

do you know the exact address/location of the intersection you are referring to? then it can be pulled up on google maps and better explained. maybe after looking at this and remembering what happened it will be more clear for you. itd also be something to bring to court along with pictures of the damage to your car. if the car is in impound i suggest you pay to get it out ASAP before it costs you thousands. i dont see why they are holding your car unless that is because they still dont believe you have a drivers license? either way you can still visit your car to take pictures and remove articles from it

if it is truly a single lane and he pulled up on your side AND made a turn, he'd be making an illegal turn. to my knowledge you cant just cut off people like that at an intersection whether you are a truck or not. the damage may not make it clear who hit who or at what point.

when the truck made the turn and struck you, were you also moving? then both of you have some fault. if he was driving irresponsibly you should have not moved forward to allow the larger vehicle to clear the turn. or in the case he was going to hit you anyways back up, if you could
This is what I've been thinking, too.

If indeed you were in a single lane and the truck pulled up on your left WHILE you were already stopped preparing to make a right turn, then he is at fault.

If you can't find your DL, get a new one immediately so that at least you have paper proof. What reason did they give you for impounding your car?

And yes, must agree with testmo that not being a native English speaker and then getting flustered can make things very difficult. I've seen people react negatively & aggressively towards people with accents because of a perceived language barrier - even if the non-native English speaker is in the right.

I am glad you have a witness who saw what happened and is willing to go to court.

A few lessons here, though: don't drive without your driver's license - get a temporary one ASAP and NEVER assume that any driver (much less someone in an big rig!) sees you or knows what you're going to do. At the very least, get a signal from the other driver that they are indeed giving you the right of way even if legally you do have the right of way.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:15 AM

Sorry guys I didnt know my thread was bump. I didnt see a lot of people replying so I kind of left it alone. Well yes I'm Vietnamese, so there was a language barrier. The cop told the wrecker to tow my car to the impound. He said I had no driver license. At that time I was shock to even remember my driver license number. How could I tell him how I loose it when I just got out of an accident? I don't know why he didnt listen to the witness either. I did get my car out of the impound the next day. It cost me $220 for only one day! I'm really stress out about this. With this and nursing school, I'm just trying to figure out a way to get my tickets dismiss. I didn't drive without a license intentionally. I just lost it, and was able to get a new one at the DPS office the next day.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 AM

Sorry I type to fast and didn't read it carefully. I was to the left side, and he stop on the right side of me Yes I have pictures of the accident. My front fender and front bumper on the driver side was damage. It must of been his front tires because when I look up all I could see was the side of his truck.
This is where the accident happen. It was only one lane. My car was next to the stop sign. His truck was to the left of me. He turn and hit my left front fender and front bumper. I don't know how the cop could even said it was my fault after I had an witness and the damage that was done. He told me that he thought that I made everything up. Here is a picture on google map. Sorry I'm only using the try version of the software. I took a picture of the road on google map with the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You were less than 2 feet from the curb and he was able to squeeze his truck on your right side? Did he climb over the sidewalk or were you in some other country? Here we drive on the right side of the road.

If you were not moving and he hit your side, then why did the cop have a problem with your story that the truck hit a parked car? Does the damage tell a different story?

Too much not making sense to me here. I am sorry, but I don't know what advise to give other than sit down and think this out and come up with a clear and consistent rendition of the event before you talk to anyone else about it.

Last edited by supaflyz; 01-30-2011 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: adding a link. first time didnt work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: