Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,034 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on this community for a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,034 times
Or Spring Branch Oaks!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
I lived in Spring Shadows for ten years - the side west of Gessner is the nicest part. People living there are great. A lot of people are unaware of the subdivision. Also, the west side have almost all of the streets ending in long cu-de-sacs, which is nice and private.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I lived in Spring Shadows for ten years - the side west of Gessner is the nicest part. People living there are great. A lot of people are unaware of the subdivision. Also, the west side have almost all of the streets ending in long cu-de-sacs, which is nice and private.

Josci, listen to cheryjohns. She is on top of her game in the real estate market. I take heed of what she posts about real estate. Modster is great too.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
That area has a lot of potential.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
A very good friend of mine lives there. Is a quiet neigborhood and well maintained. I will be more worried about the suroundings, Long Point, Gessner and all that. It almost feels like Juarez But that's my observation and no intent to offend anyone.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
A very good friend of mine lives there. Is a quiet neigborhood and well maintained. I will be more worried about the suroundings, Long Point, Gessner and all that. It almost feels like Juarez But that's my observation and no intent to offend anyone.

but it's not any worse than the million dollars homes that butt up to Gulfton. In fact, with that comparison it's better.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
First of all, Spring Shadows was the first really planned subdivision in Spring Branch. From the beginning they have had strong deed restrictions and were the first with a civic association. This has helped to keep property values at acceptable levels.
Second, the whole Spring Branch area is a very mixed bag because of how it developed. Few know that the congregation of the church at Long Point and Campbell started out on the bayou banks in the mid 1800s. Look at some of the street names and realize where the original settlers immigrated from.
Third, too many who ask questions about real estate in Spring Branch confine themselves to Spring Valley and Hilshire Village which are lumped in with the 4 separately incorporated villages south of I-10 as "Memorial Villages". However, ask anyone who lives south of I-10 in one of those villages and the north was and probably still is considered a stepchild.
Used to be that real estate agents with the hoity-toity companies would not lower themselves to cross the former railroad tracks just north of I-10. As the SBISD re-zoned areas south of Westview into Memorial High School it totally changed the perception. That's when the tear downs started in Brykerwoods, etc. on the east side of Wirt Road. I know this to be true as I've lived here since 1967 and used to be a real estate broker.
The area known as Spring Branch has always been mixed and likely always will be. Initially, before the original construction to convert Katy Road to I-10, houses were considerably less expensive on the north side due to that construction. There was quite a bit of industry that mixed lower income workers with the bosses. So, if you can't deal with the mix, then go to the real 'burbs. This area is a delightful place to live, one of the most convenient in the whole city.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM

567 posts, read 1,622,301 times
I almost bought a house in Spring Shadows (in the subdivision accross from the Dollar Store), but had to back out due to some owner issues with the house and ended up buying one further South (closer to Longpoint). I like this area and lived here since 2002. True, sometimes I feel like I live South of the border, but I am fine with this (eventhough I don't speak Spanish). My neighborhood is nice, I have decent neighbors (for most part), super easy access to I-10 which makes my and my wife's commutes that much easier. We are not zoned to Memorial HS, but before my kids will be HS age, I will most likely move around.

To the poster above - My wife and I, actually got married in that old church on Lonpoint. We had a small wedding so that was a perfect venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston