Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,502,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
What does this post actually mean? You intimidated a counselor into ram-rodding this kid into the program with threats of legal action? Simply asking, since that's what it appears you are implying.
AK, I'm learning that this program is rather unpredictible at times. HISD's just seems so much more cut and dry and is less affected by vocal parents, which has corrupted FBISD's program. My niece scored 125 on the non-verbal IQ parts. My cousin's argument was if FBISD is taking 8 to 10 percent of the student population into the program, why shouldn't she get in with an IQ that scores in this range?

Now, RCH, the counselor backed herself into a corner. She told me it wouldn't be fair to have my niece in the GT class because it could slow the other kids down. I merely pointed out her argument was not strong as special education children are allowed into regular classrooms already. Due to the equal protection clause in education, FBISD could not "protect" the GT kids as this would illegally show favoritism. I went from there.

So, perhaps you are right. My knowledge of education law did in fact intimidate her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,540,293 times
Fair enough. I'm glad you used the edit feature, however.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Fair enough. I'm glad you used the edit feature, however.
I have the flu and I'm in a pretty bad mood, so I apologize if I said some things that shouldn't have needed to be edited as they never should have been typed in the first place.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM

23,738 posts, read 14,854,098 times
Your argument is very logical. All kids need many more advocates with knowledge of education law. I could write book regarding parents who got flim flammed or bullied or by people in the district office. The first chapter would be about the little boy who lost it one day at school. The teacher, fearing bodily harm from a child called the principal, who called the Klein cops, who tie wrapped a 9 yo kid. The district said that was the only option the federal government allowed them. I'm sure the Fed's said throw a kid face down on the floor, tie wrap his hands behind him until he pees his pants and wait 45 minutes on his momma. Keep on advocating for all students.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,017,141 times
i am sure there is a parent on some forum somewhere complaining about the stupid kids in her son's GT class who are making it difficult for all the good parents to get their kids the proper education.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,774,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Now, RCH, the counselor backed herself into a corner. She told me it wouldn't be fair to have my niece in the GT class because it could slow the other kids down. I merely pointed out her argument was not strong as special education children are allowed into regular classrooms already. Due to the equal protection clause in education, FBISD could not "protect" the GT kids as this would illegally show favoritism. I went from there.

So, perhaps you are right. My knowledge of education law did in fact intimidate her.
So does the equal protection clause mean that any parent could argue/threaten/intimidate until their child was admitted to the GT program?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,782,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
AK, I'm learning that this program is rather unpredictible at times. HISD's just seems so much more cut and dry and is less affected by vocal parents, which has corrupted FBISD's program. My niece scored 125 on the non-verbal IQ parts. My cousin's argument was if FBISD is taking 8 to 10 percent of the student population into the program, why shouldn't she get in with an IQ that scores in this range?
Thanks - my son's score was 132 on that non-verbal mental ability (I understand the GT standard is 130.) But he didn't meet any of the other standards. I figured he's only in kindergarten, not sure if it's worth arguing anything this early, we'll just see what happens next year...?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i am sure there is a parent on some forum somewhere complaining about the stupid kids in her son's GT class who are making it difficult for all the good parents to get their kids the proper education.
I'm sure there is. Suffice to say, that is not my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
So does the equal protection clause mean that any parent could argue/threaten/intimidate until their child was admitted to the GT program?
Well, Topaz, FBISD left a large hole. You can't state on your website that only three percent of the general population is GT while simultaneously stating 8 to 10 percent of the district's population is GT and not expect people to challenge.

I suspect in other districts, it would be more difficult.

What intimidated the administrator was my knowledge, nothing more (although I did wake up this morning, had a blue moon in my eyes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Thanks - my son's score was 132 on that non-verbal mental ability (I understand the GT standard is 130.) But he didn't meet any of the other standards. I figured he's only in kindergarten, not sure if it's worth arguing anything this early, we'll just see what happens next year...?
My niece is in 4th, so she's getting up there. Still, I see nothing wrong in making it abundantly clear you want your child in the GT program.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM

23,738 posts, read 14,854,098 times
Do they test after kindergarten? In my district, used to be the kid only got one shot at it. My school teacher daughters remind me that most of those test scores mainly determine if a kid can follow instructions.
Most kids should be getting what GT classes get. That is the problem. "The soft bigotry of low expectation."

Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 AM

80 posts, read 291,570 times
I hate parents like OP. This is the problem with America today, where every child is told they are "gifted" and that "everyone is special in their own way".

IF YOUR DAUGHTER DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT SHE ISN'T GIFTED. JUST KEEP HER IN THE LOWER TRACK I'M SURE SHE WILL BE CHALLENGED ENOUGH. AND IN HIGH SCHOOL IF SHE SO CHOOSES AND PROVES SHE IS CAPABLE, SHE CAN TAKE AS MANY AP COURSES AS SHE WANTS.

GT IS POINTLESS ANYWAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: